Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BuckeyeBOSS

My 545cid 1969 Mustang Project

Figured I'd post this up since it'll be a long project...

The car is a weekend cruiser and street car that will see the track a few times a year and go to some local cruise-ins.

Background:

- 1969 Mustang SportsRoof, 8X,XXX original miles.

- I bought the car towards the end of last year (2006) with a 468 cid big block w/ ported DOVE-C's, unknown size solid roller cam, Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 carb, C6 trans, and 9" rearend.

- It has the original standard black interior in excellent condition (tach and shifter are aftermarket) and all original sheetmetal.

- Currently painted a dark red almost maroon color. Was originally painted Acapulco Blue.

Problems:

- After a disappointing 12.4 @ 110 mph track outing, I discovered it was only running on 7 cylinders and those 7 weren't within spec on the compression test. It was also running at only 25* total timing (should be ~35*) and it has a worn distributer gear.

- Radiator also developed a leak.

Already done since I bought the car:

- Added front spoiler

- De-anodized the gold Moroso valve covers and painted them black

- Replaced gold Moroso air cleaner with a K&N air cleaner

- Replaced door lock knobs

- Replaced inner door handle cups

Currently In Progress:

- A 545 cid shortblock is currently being built. Should come in around a pump gas friendly 11.0:1 compression ratio after the Kaase P-51 heads are installed. It will include: a .030 over factory block, cleaned and decked, bored and honed with a plate, new cam bearings installed, Forged 4.5" crank, 6.8" scat h-beam rods, ARP 2000 series rod bolts, Dished forged Diamond pistons with custom valve reliefs for both P-51 and conventional heads, Total Seal plasma moly file fit rings, Clevite H series bearings, Durabond cam bearings, sfi flexplate, sfi balancer, internally balanced, all clearances set and checked, new freeze plug set.

- Until I have the cash for the new top end, my old/current top end will go on. It includes ported/butchered DOVE-C iron heads (flowed 305 cfm intake and 169 cfm exhaust), solid roller cam, Offenhouser Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 cfm carb, I will be absolutely suffocating this motor, I know, but I can't swing the new top end right now. WIll probably come in around 550 HP with this top end, but 800 HP or so once I get the new setup.

- New MSD #8577 Pro-Billet distributer.

- A new aluminum radiator along with a Flex-a-lite 2500 cfm electric fan is going in. These will replace the leaking steel radiator and mechanical fan. Custom radiator support work is being done to accommodate the cooling system with the big block stuffed in the engine bay.

- New high output 3G alternator will replace the current 60 amp one.

- Converting from a V-belt to a serpentine belt system.

Future Plans:

- Replace old/current top end with aluminum Kaase P-51 heads, custom solid roller cam matched to P-51 heads, Victor intake, and 1050 or 1150 dominator carb. Shooting for 800 HP N/A on pump gas.

- Upgrade fuel system.

- Rollerize C6 tranny.

- Paint the car either a custom graphite/gun metal grey color or Raven Black.

Current pics (the 5 photocopied pics at the bottom are from previous owner):

69stang.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

00492533702.jpg

Jays_toy_3.jpg

Jays_car.jpg

Jay_s_Toy_4.jpg

Jay_s_Car_2.jpg

Looks good, :001_tt1: you might want to add a roll cage to the list. That combo will twist you car like a pretzel,let alone NHRA will require the cage at those speeds. I would also add a one piece export brace to reduce the twisting in the engine compartment(out side the motor plates). I run a CSI electric water pump makes a huge difference in the cooling. I also use one of the summitt 31x19x 2 1/4 aluminum radiators. It's cheap and it cools well. I have those same valve covers but in blue anodized. I hope this pic attaches.scan0003.jpg

Looks good, :001_tt1: you might want to add a roll cage to the list. That combo will twist you car like a pretzel,let alone NHRA will require the cage at those speeds. I would also add a one piece export brace to reduce the twisting in the engine compartment(out side the motor plates). I run a CSI electric water pump makes a huge difference in the cooling. I also use one of the summitt 31x19x 2 1/4 aluminum radiators. It's cheap and it cools well. I have those same valve covers but in blue anodized. I hope this pic attaches.

Nice looking motor!

I actually deanodized the gold from my valve covers and painted them black and clear coated them. They look much better IMO.

Your blue valve covers look good on the black. I'm getting my block painted black as well.

I know I'm going to need a cage, but I'm absolutely DREADING it. The interior is excellent in this car.

I'm debating whether to get an elec water pump or not. I need to decide this week. You think it's really worth it? Cooling is going to be a major concern for me. Since it'll be driven on the street most the time, staying cool is a MUST. It won't see HEAVY traffic, but still.

If you recommend an elec pump, you think the ~35 gpm are enough or should I go up to the 55gpm Meziere?

I was thinking about seeing how well it stays cool with what I have then upgrading if need be.

I would go with the 35gpm. The reason being the aluminum radiator will dissipate a lot of the heat plus the electric fan. Oh yeah less drag on the motor:thumbup: . Those stroker motors run hot so don't take any chances. And get your headers coated Jet Hot huge difference in under hood heat.

Talk soon

Tim

Few more parts came today

000_0011-1.jpg

Meziere electric water pump and backing plate

000_0012-1.jpg

MSD #8577 Pro-billet distributer

000_0006.jpg

March aluminum pulley (same size as stock 5.0L) for the 3G alternator conversion

000_0009.jpg

130 amp 3G alternator

000_0014-1.jpg

Flex-a-lite 2500cfm fan in case the Mark VIII 4300cfm fan doesn't fit. I hope the Mark VIII works though.

Very Nice :). Been following your progress on 460ford.com. I wish my project was that far along..

Thanks, I can't wait to get the car back. It hasn't been able to be driven since the end of last fall. :crying:

You're motor is making some good power, I'm sure you'll project will turn out great.

FINALLY!!!

I picked up the Stang today. It drives good. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and then start breaking it in/cruising it around. I haven't gotten on it yet, just a little over 1/2 throttle here and there, feels and sounds pretty strong though.

The Mark VIII fan wouldn't fit, it was too tall. So I'm using the Flex-A-Lite 2500 cfm elec fan in the pic and posted earlier. The car has stayed at 180* so far, never over. I think that elec water pump is working well.

000_0001-2.jpg

000_0002-3.jpg

000_0003-2.jpg

000_0004-2.jpg

LOL, thanks.

I just ordered a new coolant overflow tank tonight. Somehow, that old yellowed stock one doesn't fit in anymore.

what are you going to do with the old stock one? if it's an actual stock mustang piece i might like to buy it from you

what are you going to do with the old stock one? if it's an actual stock mustang piece i might like to buy it from you

I don't think it's an original Mustang one, not sure what's it's from, but I haven't seen pics of it in a Mustang.

What size wheels and tires are on it in those pictures?

The wheels/tires were on the car when I bought it. I can tell you that the inner fender wells in the rear were cut to fit the tires.

I'm not sure on the offsets, but the rear wheels are 15x10 Weld Draglites with 30x12.5 M/T ET Streets. The fronts are either 15x5 or 15x6 rims with 205/75/15 tires.

Also as an update, Jon Kaase announced that he is making a revised BOSS/hemi head that will be priced "affordably" and he has seen 900+ HP out of a 521cid with streetable compression. So All my other plans are on hold awaiting to see what these new Boss heads are all about.

I don't think it's an original Mustang one, not sure what's it's from, but I haven't seen pics of it in a Mustang.

The wheels/tires were on the car when I bought it. I can tell you that the inner fender wells in the rear were cut to fit the tires.

I'm not sure on the offsets, but the rear wheels are 15x10 Weld Draglites with 30x12.5 M/T ET Streets. The fronts are either 15x5 or 15x6 rims with 205/75/15 tires.

could you post a pic of the tanks and the mounting bracket? it looks similar to an original but i can't be sure

Also as an update, Jon Kaase announced that he is making a revised BOSS/hemi head that will be priced "affordably" and he has seen 900+ HP out of a 521cid with streetable compression. So All my other plans are on hold awaiting to see what these new Boss heads are all about.

Yes, Jon unveiled the BOSS Hemi heads at the seminar. They were his "surprise" that he had for us. He said about 400cfm on the intakes and about 300cfm on the exhausts.

Very, very cool.

I love your car. So beautiful.