Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForceFed70

Something I've always wondered about..

It's happened to almost all of us. A family pet runs out onto the street and gets hit.

What I don't get is why a lot of people seem to think that the driver of the vehicle should be responsible in some way. I keep hearing about how the driver should pay 1/2 of the vet bill, etc...

My take on this is that unless the driver was speeding or doing something stupid, I don't see why he/she should be partly responsible.

If someone hits my pet, I expect him/her to stop and offer some assistance if possible, but that's about it. Maybe take it to the nearest vet or something if we're not home. But I centanly wouldn't expect somone to help pay the bill or buy me a new pet or something.

The way I see it is that if my pet is on the road and gets hit, it's my fault and the pet's fault... no-one elses.

Am I missing something here?

I don't know how it works in the USA but if this scenario occurs anywhere here, in Australia, legally the owner of the livestock (including family pets) is responsible for any damage done to the property of others. This includes the vehicle that hits it.

In other words, the pet owner must pay for repairs to the driver's car.

I don't know how it works in the USA but if this scenario occurs anywhere here, in Australia, legally the owner of the livestock (including family pets) is responsible for any damage done to the property of others. This includes the vehicle that hits it.

In other words, the pet owner must pay for repairs to the driver's car.

To be honest, that makes sense to me. It seems a little heartless, but it wasn't the drivers fault and someone has to pay for the repairs..

Most city's, counties and townships have leash laws. Thus if you pet runs out in to the street. The driver is not responsible for the vet bills. But common courtesy would be to at least stop and notify the owner of his misfortune. That is if it has dog tags.

my dog, who happensto be sitting in my lap as i type this, got out the back gate a few months ago when i was taking out the trash and ran all the way down the alley and out into one of the major thoroughfares in town and got run over by a big ass dodge 4x4, luckily the dodge had a major lift kit and Stitch (my dog, daughter named him) didn't get hit but i was scared to death he was gonna get flattened. i think he may have learned his lesson, though, as he hasn't even tried to get out of the yard since then and before that he was always getting out.

if he had gotten hit i would not have expected the driver to pay for anything, though i wouldn't have turned him down if he offered to help.

It is not and should not be the driver's fault as its the pet owner's fault for not controling their pet. I think the pet owner is and should also be held liable for any damage done to the vehicle. If I hit someone's pet and they contest it, I'll see them in court if need be.

I hit a dog on my bike onces. I pulled the clutch in, tapped the rev limiter and left.

That way the family would atleast look out the window to see their dog in the street. I have two dogs, you'll never see them in the street chasing motorcycles.

Bet that dog never did that again. I plowed his ass over. He's lucky he didn't get under the tires