Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69stang

My Very Own Mustang Buildup

Well I have a 1969 Mustang Coupe with the I6 200 ci engine and 4 speed tranny.

I have decided to go the unusual route and keep the six, especially after looking around at fordsix.com forums.

So the plan:

-Carb swap to 350 cfm Holley 2V (officially started, the adaptor they sell needed some "modification" to get the right fit.

-Turbocharged, I have been doing alot of reading on this, going to do a blow through setup, still have to read a bunch of compressor maps etc.

-Aluminum Heads, officially out, they look really exciting!

-T5 swap gas mileage and ability to get the power to the wheels

-Disc Brake/Power Rack n Pinion

Goals: 300 hp, 25+ MPG (when driving nicely), good handling.

Thoughts/comments/etc?

I think there was a 6 cyclinder write up a couple of months ago in Mustang Monthly. If I remember correctly it was 300+ HP and very solid. Lots of chrome and bling....

I had a 200cid in my 69 convertible and it caught a wheel and cruised nicely at 75mph. Wish I still had that car - it was perfect....

I will post pictures as soon as the carb is installed .. do it step by step =).

And turbocharging it should work great with this engine =).

A nice chrome valve cover and an engine dress up kit and it should look shiny and niceeee.

I think that might be one I posted a long time ago in the garage, I'lls ee if I can find it.

I personally think the 250 makes a better candidate all around for what you want to do especially with 5 lugs already but I'll be eager to follow along on your progress and see what the results are for sure.

haha thats a great game. As far as the 200 vs 250, theres a few reasons for sticking to the 200.

"The 250's taller deck and longer stroke are a disadvantage because they limit revs. Risk of engine failure becomes higher with the 250"

That and I already have a 200 c.i. car =)

I realize the 200 will be slightly disadvantaged compared to the 250, but for my goals it will more then cover it.

The positive reactions encourage me to do this =), should be a showstopper at car shows.

Rear Suspension went in today.

n31508464_31061129_73.jpg

The Right side

n31508464_31061130_333.jpg

The Left Side

n31508464_31061127_9493.jpg

How it sits

n31508464_31061128_9807.jpg

The old suspension minus one leaf

Overall, it went great, had no problems. Sits a little higher than I expected (about 2 inches higher than before, but back to stock height). The old shocks were EXTREMELY shot, there should be a HUGE difference in ride. Its the GrabAtrak 4 1/2 leaf standard eye.

I have a 69 fastback with a 250...I was goint to swap it for a 302, buuut no way now. I met a girl from chicago with a highly modified 200. She had headers and a freaking 4 barrel...oh my did that car sound awesome.

I have a 69 fastback with a 250...I was goint to swap it for a 302, buuut no way now. I met a girl from chicago with a highly modified 200. She had headers and a freaking 4 barrel...oh my did that car sound awesome.

Can you tell me what size wheels and tires you are running and then take a measurement from the ground to the fender front and back? I know that is a lot to ask, but I have a 250 6 and am looking to put in a grab a track as well. I am curious how much sag I have now in the suspension.

I am thiking I will do the mid eye or rolled eye leaf and look to do the shelby drop for the front.

Thanks!

Josh

Ok, a couple responses I have to get to here.

Zumer, If you want to learn about the I6, check out Fordsix.com. The first thing they will tell you to do is buy the Falcon Six Performance book.

http://falconperformance.sundog.net/

It is a good book, it is getting a little outdated now with the new parts coming out from ClassicInlines.com.

Pakrat- Things are going on as is now, but alot more parts are being replaced as I have the time and the money (even when working full time, college kids don't have lots of $ haha).

If you see anything in particular that needs replacing please tell me because this is my first project. The engine itself will look much different after I start doing all the work on the engine (Aluminum head, alloy valve cover, alloy intake etc.)

Infinity - Yes I will check, it will be a couple days because It is jacked up right now I am doing a front disk brake swap, but I will do it no problem for you.

Thanks! I am pretty sure I am going to do the reverse eye and the shelby drop at the same time so it will sit lower. Mine looks like your car did before you put the suspension stuff on. I am just worried that with the 6 cyl the front will still sit too high :) It is so hard to tell what you get until you bolt it on.

Josh

Yea it's tough sometimes, I personally don't mind my car being a little higher, I can always add lowering blocks (I know its not as good of a route as the mid-eye). I figure I want to get some bigger rims, but like some rubber on it to make it ride nice.