Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djs69stang

? about vacuum advance

I have a 302 and I have been trying to find out from others (live, email, pics) what set up this 302 should have on the vacuum advance. I have a 3 port vacuum switch in the thermostat housing - top port goes to carb and pulls very little vacuum, middle port to vacuum advance on dist, bottom port to intake manifold tree in rear. Every 351 and 302 and 289 I have seen that has a vacuum advance port in the thermo housing blocks the vacuum switch port and runs the vacuum advance to the carb direct. Would you have any pics or knowledge? There is a pic of my engine in the gallery under djs69stang, page 3.

It seems to me that I can do the same and avoid some of the extra headaches I have keeping the idle set correctly.

Which is what I am trying to find out, is this correct or necessary? I was at a car show over the weekend and saw 2 - 351's and 2 - 289's without a vacuum port switch even though the thermostat housing had a place for the switch. They all ran the vacuum advance line straight to a vacuum port at the bottom of the carb.

I searched thorugh all the pics of the engines in the 69stang galleries and did not see any set up as mine either. They etiher bypassed it or did not have a port in the thermo housing.

Know where I can find a pic of a correct 302?

I don't remember seeing one from that era with the three lines. It is just a way to contraol vacuum advance until the car reached operatiing temperature. If you don't care about originality, I would run the advance straight to a ported source and bypass the switch.

I have the vacuum advance running directly to a port on the carb. With the timing at 7 (vacuum line disconnected & plugged), it will idle around 950 in neutral. Put it in gear and the engine dies out. If I up the timing to 10, it will idle around 1200 and around 700 in gear without dying. I read your comments in the thread about "proper timing" and there is no pinging. Do you think latter setting is fine? The only thing that bothers me is that this did not use to be a problem. I have checked all the vacuum lines and there is no leak. In April, I removed the intake manifold and cleaned it up. It was running fine for 2 months. Could a leak evolve in that area?