Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD IN NC

so it begins.....

Well I'm into the rebuild. THis car was my sons when he first received his drivers license and I wasn't sure what was under all the bondo the previous owner spread with a trowel :nuke:

It is a 69 Mach but there has been quarter skins replaced. I had to get the panels with the scoops as the skins did not have the scoops. Goal is to have the passenger side roughed in the next week and start the drivers side.

Now the engine.... what to do with a tired ol 351W.. Stroke it?

nice car, and that is the million dollar question, "what to do with the 351?"

Really depends on what you want from the car, daily driver, weekend warrior, or show and shine?

There are tons of threads here were we have discussed all the many possibilities, but for myself, I went with a new 4-bolt main, and stroked it out to 428c.i., I will probably never fully use the engine to its potential, but just like my work trucks, I always build to worse case expectations. That means ceramic clutches, largest brakes, strongest trannies I can get, a broken down truck in construction doesn't make me any money, and then I don't have any money for my stang!!

If you do stroke your engine, I would really recommend you do a disk brake conversion kit first, so you can stop those horses after you set them free.

But most importantly.........have fun doing whatever you do.:rockon:

I'll speak for myself here, but i went the safe route with my windsor....here are my mods on the date correct '69 block:

Block bored .030 over

Original '69 fully ported heads(they flow 240cfm) with larger Ferrera intake and exhaust valves....

Stud mount Scorpio rockers with roller tip...1.6 ratio

Double forged valve springs

Forged flat top pistons with 10-1 compression...

Forged pushrods...

Original crank turned 10-10

Comp cam 292H for street use but with a somewhat rough idle...kinda like a 440 mopar out back...

I kept the original 4 barrel intake on this set up so i could fit my shaker unit...

Holley 650CFM

On the dyno at the flywheel:

420HP at 4500 RPM, 440TQ at 4700 RPM

Very muscular sound, music to my ears....

Should get about 15MPG when driving it gently...

I've decided to stoke mine to a 393. Its going to cost about $200 more in parts and $100 in machine work to go this route. I'm guessing the $300 will give me 25-50hp more.

Musman, did you get your 420HP with the stock '69 351w cast iron intake manifold?

I've decided to stoke mine to a 393. Its going to cost about $200 more in parts and $100 in machine work to go this route. I'm guessing the $300 will give me 25-50hp more.

Musman, did you get your 420HP with the stock '69 351w cast iron intake manifold?

Yep, i sure did, we actually wanted to shoot for 380HP, i wanted the motor to look stock as much as possible so i decided to keep the original C9 intake and port match it with the fully ported heads....also i was going with a shaker, so i didn't want the shaker to come out of the hood too much....boy were we surprised to see 420HP at 4500RPM, and best of all is the torque...440

Well here we are after a long HOT summer and we're back on the project. Feel we made the turn and the worse is over with two new rear qrts and the back piece. Have one door to skin, align the front fenders, prime and back to my house for an engine.. Now the hunt begins for a stroker that I can keep the shaker on!

Well here we are after a long HOT summer and we're back on the project. Feel we made the turn and the worse is over with two new rear qrts and the back piece. Have one door to skin, align the front fenders, prime and back to my house for an engine.. Now the hunt begins for a stroker that I can keep the shaker on!

a sroker won't have nything to do with keeping the shaker what you're worried about is the intake manifold height. i think i mentioned this before but the difference in deck height beween the 69/70 and later blocks is .020 of an inch, that is about the width of 4 human hairs. the only problem you'll have is with the intake manifold, most aftermarket performance intakes will raise the shaker too far out of the hood for most peoples liking. if you really want to keep the shaker and run a performance intake on the shaker look for a Ford C90X aluminum intake, these were stock on 69/70 shelby GT-350's and available over the counter from Ford Muscle Parts back in the day. this is about the best flowing intake around that will keep the shaker at stock height.

Beautiful day out here... Went to see the M1 and had the FGT out. The M! should be coming home in ~1 week. My friend has just to wrap up the hood and find/ attach the sport mirrors, finish up the front end cosmetics and trim (about $500 worth of parts alone).....

Then comes the engine. Found a great local speed shop where Bill the owner does nothing but Fords - and spent his days building 427 cammers and even had a 40 pickup with the 429 Nascar motor in it - DAMN!

anyway - here she is in new found glory - what a transformation!

Now the hunt begins for the c90x manifiold!

It a silver called "artic mist" from the 94 truck color swatchs.....basically the car is trimmed in the color (ie. door jambs, door handles, mirrors etc... and will be finished being painted after I replace the engine..... This is done in case for any reason that somebody by accident scratches the paint!:scared:

a sample is shown around the door handle.... She will have the Mach 1 satin blk hood also........

I kept the original 4 barrel intake on this set up so i could fit my shaker unit...

Holley 650CFM

That is incredible!! I'm sure I paid several several thousand dollars for just 117 more HP. I'm using a Torker II intake with a factory 351W shaker, and it sits perfectly in the hole, but the stock intake did much better than I would have ever imagined.

I'd bet you could get better mileage if you had an OD tranny. I think I'm getting around 17 on the freeway @ 65mph in 5th gear (I haven't really driven long enough on the freeway to be certain). The engine is barely loping above an idle.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged the progress of MAD IN NCs fastback... d'oh!

You will LOVE the 408 in your Mach!! Looking great!

Holley 650CFM

That is incredible!! I'm sure I paid several several thousand dollars for just 117 more HP. I'm using a Torker II intake with a factory 351W shaker, and it sits perfectly in the hole, but the stock intake did much better than I would have ever imagined.

I'd bet you could get better mileage if you had an OD tranny. I think I'm getting around 17 on the freeway @ 65mph in 5th gear (I haven't really driven long enough on the freeway to be certain). The engine is barely loping above an idle.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged the progress of MAD IN NCs fastback... d'oh!

You will LOVE the 408 in your Mach!! Looking great!

Still have a long way to go..... I was able to get a 84 Windsor block versus the original 69... of which everything from the stroker kit matched perfectly!

Now for the March Serp setup, Randalls PS pump and the alternator.,,,

Still have a long way to go..... I was able to get a 84 Windsor block versus the original 69... of which everything from the stroker kit matched perfectly!

Now for the March Serp setup, Randalls PS pump and the alternator.,,,

So - basically after 1 week and $300 of "other parts" I was able to get eh March serp system (2 belt) installed on the Alt, WP and Crank. Had to get a bigger spacer for the damper (Performance Product) as original was 3/8" and I need a 15/16" to align with WP pulley. Also picked up the March 140Amp Alt (tuff stuff) and had that mounted. 6 rib Serp belt size was 1.1 M

Randall's PS pump Chevy is being more of a pain as the shimming and bolts used will have to be modded for the block and heads that it mounts to. The bracket is a standard FoMoCo bolt pattern (2 3/8 bolt's and 1 7/16" bolt) but the depth and shims had to be adjusted. Belt size TBD. One more trip to the hardware store and a call for parts to Randall should close this item up!

Clutch is here, BelL Housing, flex plate, starter, Drive shaft and rest of car is cleaned and ready to have the big pieces bolted in next week!

Then Radiator w/ Electric Fan and Exhaust.... SHould be on the road by October.....

So - basically after 1 week and $300 of "other parts" I was able to get eh March serp system (2 belt) installed on the Alt, WP and Crank. Had to get a bigger spacer for the damper (Performance Product) as original was 3/8" and I need a 15/16" to align with WP pulley. Also picked up the March 140Amp Alt (tuff stuff) and had that mounted. 6 rib Serp belt size was 1.1 M

Randall's PS pump Chevy is being more of a pain as the shimming and bolts used will have to be modded for the block and heads that it mounts to. The bracket is a standard FoMoCo bolt pattern (2 3/8 bolt's and 1 7/16" bolt) but the depth and shims had to be adjusted. Belt size TBD. One more trip to the hardware store and a call for parts to Randall should close this item up!

Clutch is here, BelL Housing, flex plate, starter, Drive shaft and rest of car is cleaned and ready to have the big pieces bolted in next week!

Then Radiator w/ Electric Fan and Exhaust.... SHould be on the road by October.....