Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solo2

WANTED: 1969 GT,flip-open Gas Cap

Wanted '69 GT flip open gas cap.

Needs to be in good condition.

Meaning in good shape with no cracks.

Chrome should be in good condition.

Will pay reasonable price

This will be used for a daily driver car.

PM me or e-mail me at kevinacker@aermfg.com

Thanks.

ebay is your best bet. i've got an extra but it's nowhere near the condition you want and i really don't want to sell it anyway. i'll be selling teh car before long and this was the original cap and i'm going to keep it

Thanks already tried e-ripoff, was just recently outbided.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-mustang-GT-Mach-IFlip-Down-Gas-Cap_W0QQitemZ290108596769QQihZ019QQcategoryZ34204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Was hoping that someone here would like to sell one, one that is in fair to good condition.

Who knows maybe yours gt gas cap is that "perfect" candidate.

Thanks.

Just a thought, but if it's a daily driver then maybe consider the regular pop open cap with a GT logo on it? I've seen it on a few fake GT's and it doesn't look bad at all. Only a GT enthusiast knows it's not correct.

Thanks, Already tried that for some 20 years, but like you stated some so called "experts" notice that little detail, and keep pointing that out.

So have decided to find the "real thing".

Thanks, Already tried that for some 20 years, but like you stated some so called "experts" notice that little detail, and keep pointing that out.

So have decided to find the "real thing".

Ah, I know what that's like. Well good luck and be prepared to pay a hefty price, no one is going to let a good one go for cheap, ebay or not.

Thanks

Already had some feedback, but like you stated wants an arm and a leg for just poor to fair condition.

Why are these so dam expensive, there are not made out of gold or are they?

Well ya know, 69' was the last of the original GT's, there weren't alot of them made, it has a bunch of year specific parts like this and they aren't reproed. Not quite gold as far as commodities are concerned but it might as well be when the demand out weighs the supply. I'll venture that there are likely more concourse GT resto's out there than there are daily driver resto's.

Thanks

Already had some feedback, but like you stated wants an arm and a leg for just poor to fair condition.

Why are these so dam expensive, there are not made out of gold or are they?

they are quite rare and very hard to find a nice one as you've noticed. i've seen NOS ones bring more than $1000 and very, very nice originals bring over $500.

i've bought 3 trying to find a goos one and paid as much as $200 for one, the one that is currently on the car and even that one has a repro base, luckily the gear toothed center part had decent chrome and only needed a good polishing and repaint of the painted areas.

just found you a very, very nice one on ebay and teh price isn't too bad $375 but it now. it's even nicer than mine, in fact this is probably the nicest original non restored/non NOS cap i've ever seen.

i'd jump on this one if i were you. i know it isn't exactly cheap but it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Mustang-GT-flip-down-gas-cap_W0QQitemZ110122066426QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

just found you a very, very nice one on ebay and teh price isn't too bad $375 but it now. it's even nicer than mine, in fact this is probably the nicest original non restored/non NOS cap i've ever seen.

i'd jump on this one if i were you. i know it isn't exactly cheap but it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Mustang-GT-flip-down-gas-cap_W0QQitemZ110122066426QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a good, used cap that was removed from a 1969 Mustang GT that won Silver in an MCA national show

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to that car that he took it off?

Too late it's gone.

And yes these things should only be at the $250 value max.

I guess I pay this big amount because I waited over 20 years.

I'm kicking myself now.

Todate, this gas cap will be the biggest $$$ purchase for the stang.

This thing turns out more costly than the whole car I purchased. I have a complete Mach 1 equalivalent equipt for $250 and running.

And they say this is progress.

Too late it's gone.

I'm kicking myself now.

This thing turns out more costly than the whole car I purchased. I have a complete Mach 1 equalivalent equipt for $250 and running.

all i can say is you get what you pay for these days, oh and be glad it's not a mopar.

no difference in the bezels and teh 2nd link is actually a 68 GT cap. 67's had black letters, 68 had red and 69 had the gear tooth pattern and red letters.

essentially the 67/68 caps are identical other than the color of the letters which is easily corrected. not so easy with a 69 and the other 69 pop open caps don't have the gear tooth pattern

Damn, you guys are some smart MOFO's. :)

I also noticed that someone just placed a bid on the bezel and now the BIN is gone. From what I've been reading on how much a good one goes for the BIN $75 for a "very good condition" bezel would have been a steal. The first guy that bid must have not thought so....or he is a cheap ass like myself and thinks he'll steal it for a lot less.

Too late it's gone.

I'm kicking myself now.

No offense, but the market will dictate what they are worth, nothing else.

How is eBay a ripoff when it is an auction? Could there be any truer indicator of market value?

Ease, In Two Words

"Swap Meets"

Been using swap meets as the average ball park pricing for the last 30 years and e-ripoff is always way, way higher is pricing then any swap meets you attend, period.

Ease, In Two Words

"Swap Meets"

Been using swap meets as the average ball park pricing for the last 30 years and e-ripoff is always way, way higher is pricing then any swap meets you attend, period.

sorry but swap meet pricing and ebay pricing just aren't the same. a lot of people that sell parts one ebay buy those parts at swap meets in the 1st place.

ebay is a better guide the the true market value on most parts, but some rare parts may be a little higher because those parts have a bigger audience on ebay. there might be someone selling a 69 GT cap at a swap meet for 50 bucks and nobody buys it because they don't need it, but that same cap might bring 500 bucks on ebay because there are 50 people that need it.

it's called supply and demand, if there is no demand the parts is worthless no matter what the supply is but if the part is in low supply and there is a large demand that parts is now worth it's weight in gold.

also, say you have to drive 4 hours to get to a swap meet and 4 hours back and of course you want the get there bright and early so you stay at a motel the night before...how much is that part worth now if it is the only part you bring home?

All valid points and ebay is really a global yard sale or swap meet with no limitations. You may have a wider selection but the bigger audience levels the playing field. These days I have to consider my time and gas as a factor in everything before I decide what to do and these days online ordering seems to be more an advantage in the long run. I may not get to touch the part but I also know it is available for sale without investing something. This type of debate is always the same though, there isn't a person in the world that doesn't want to buy low and sell high. I don't blame solo for wanting a bargain but I alos wouldn't expect that he would let the part go fro peanuts if he had it knowing what some will pay.