Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sui_Stang69

Car trouble

For some reason. My 1969 mustang grande is acting up.

The car runs good, idle's smooth and sounds great.

The engine is stock, the only mods done are

a pertronix HEI distributor. http://pertronix.com/new_products/ignition_press/ignition_images/thumb/26110006.jpg

an electric fan.

For some reason after driving for 45 minutes and with 4 people in the car the car just dies while slowing down to a stop.

It sounds like the trans kickdown is what makes the engine bog out and die when slowing down.

It happens a few times to many for me to let go.

Another thing that makes the car turn off is when you turn the wheel at idle. The power steering just makes the car turn off. It doesnt happen all the time but it happens after driving the car for 45 mintues. Does anyone know whats going on, and how to fix the problem.

Just an idea but it sounds like the base idle just may be too low. While the engine is cold or cool the choke is helping keep the idle up but when it warms up that is gone. Turning the wheel on a PS car at idle loads the engine down some and that could be enough to kill it. With your foot off the throttle slowing down the warmed up engine could be dropping rpm enough to die as well.

Just a thought.

-Stephen

Thanx for the info guys. But I stumbled upon the problem. It had to do with my ignition after all. There was a wire comming off the ignition that had been taped with electrical tape. When the car would rumble the wire would disconnect and connect.