Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Which wheel tire set up looks best?

All things considered I say go with.............because:  

44 members have voted

1. 1. All things considered I say go with.............because:

• The AR-500's
    • The Hot Wheel Sixty-Eights

maybe it's just the difference in wheels, mine have a deeper dish than yours so they may need more sidewall to look right, but i agree they do look good on yours. i see your car looks very similar to mine as well, blackout tail panel and the shelby vert side scoops. i couldn't afford to get the spoilered trunk lid for mine but it was on the list of mods, if i was going to keep the car they still would be just later on down the road.

Well, after several days of lots of leg work I finally ordered up my wheel package today and I think I got pretty much the best deal I could possibly get. I decided finally on the AR500 with the Yokohama tire simply because it has by far the best and easiest spot for me to add the redline on to sidewall. It is a little closer to the edge than I would have ideally prefered as a true redline is pretty much in the center of the sidewall but when you look at this exploded view of it you can see that the outside circle even has a nice little texture so it should hold the special red tire paint well and it is pretty much the perfect 3/8" width and I won't need to try and measure and mask off an area like I would have and then try to keep it all even and with a nice clean edge just to center it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100

So originally I had pretty much eliminated my local town fair tire as the price I got on the phone from them was $2199 but I noticed on their website that they claim they will not be beat by the internet or competition so I went down there today with a print out for $1612 and after a few phone calls he offered me a price of $1649 which matched the above price including the mount, balance and stems but also included installation and a wheel alignment which I will need for the Shelby drop modification as well.:001_cool: Plus they have a pretty unbeatable free road hazard program so all in all a heck of a deal I think. Here's a quick chop to see how it would look with the redline on it. I didn't have a nice straight shot to throw the rim on it too but I think this is going to work out well.

I don't think that groove goes all the way around, I think it fades away at one end. We'll see when I get it here in person, there may be a spot in the middle I can work it in afterall but I think for the cleanest look possible it may be that outer edge or nothing. The sidewall on that pic is a 40 and on the 45 there is a little more real estate between the outer edge of it and the tire.

I don't think that groove goes all the way around, I think it fades away at one end. We'll see when I get it here in person, there may be a spot in the middle I can work it in afterall but I think for the cleanest look possible it may be that outer edge or nothing. The sidewall on that pic is a 40 and on the 45 there is a little more real estate between the outer edge of it and the tire.

well, that's the rim protector strip on teh tire so i don't think it fades away. you could always do a double redline though. that might look pretty good.

OH that line, yeah it's in the consideration, a little close to the rim but it may end up looking better, well see. Double red is not in the running though, way to busy on a short sidewall I think. So you think the original spot I intended is too far to the edge? It's not my ideal spot but considering how everything else about it is perfect I think it's not a bad compromise in the grand scheme.

give it a chop and see. i think it does look a little awkard so far out to the edge, hell it may look even more awkward closer to the rim but if you think about where the redline would be on a 15" tire and you put the 17" tire right next to it, the redline of teh 15" tire would be in about the same spot as the rim protector strip on teh 17" tire, comparitively speaking...from the theoretical center of each tire. so i think the eye might find the redline more appealing closer to the rim, it might also have the effect of making the tire look a bit smaller. with the redline so far to the outside circumference of the tire it makes the tire visually larger. make sense?

Yeah that makes sense, basically the outer radius of the tire would be equal to a 15 and you just lose all the inside radius black like this. Once I get the actual tires and rims in my possesion and can take a real picture it will be alot easier to tell for sure but you make a good point (for a change :001_tongue: ).

I have been contemplating new wheels for some time... I currently have TT IIs... which were great when new, but look odd to me now?

When I look at pix of my Mach... I always think the pix with Magnum 500's are the best!! So... even though I have rear disc brakes... I think I am leaning towards the AR500s....

Can you share... did you order any special backspacing to fit the 275's on the rear? The TT IIs hit the wheel lip, so I know I need more backspacing than they provide.

Thanks in Advance,

Lance

Yeah, I definately don't like the dual line at all, looks like a bullseye. I am liking the inner line more though so I think I am going to see if I can switch to the Hankook then. They have a good spot closer to the rim and I like the tread pattern alot better. Plus I have read some very mixed reviews online abouut the Yoko's recently.

Malcoll. for a 9.5" rim with a 275 I am going with 5.5 BS, you could probably get away with a little more but this has been proven to wrok for sure by several.

the Falken radials have a good spot on the rim protector as well.

Yeah but any of the local places that carried them had lousy pricing. I needed to go with the best package deal.

As for the engine, he had to switch things around a little and do the paint first because he needs his booth this week for other things. By next week it will be out of their hands completely and back to me for good for final assembly.

pics, pics pics!!!!!!

That's the plan for the next 2 days, patience grasshopper. I ended up switching my paint color slightly in the final hour too. It's still a Ford Licoln Mercury color but it's from the 98'-03' genre, it's called Charcoal Blue Metallic. Pretty much the exact type of Gunmetal color I have been wanting. I kept going back to it blindly in the color charts and the PPG number is 5369 so I took it as a sign. I have been trying to find a pic of an actual car online but no luck.