Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FallujahMedic

'70 Coupe and '69 Fairlane 500

Driving down the road the other day and I thought I spotted a '70 Boss in the bushes behind a Motorcycle shop. Turns out it was just a '70 coupe with Boss stripes. After some digging I found out it was a factory A/C car, front discs, good to excellent interior,factory power steering, 9 in rear, Orig an Auto w/302. Alas, sans engine tranny and driveshaft. Needs some upper body work, but put it on a lift and found no floorpan/torquebox or framerail rust. Guy said hed take $1,000.00 cash for it. Wonder what i could do with that??? I could use some of those temporarily on my 69.... or make a Shelby De Mexico clone??

Also the guy had a 69 Fairlane 500 (351/auto) Black Jade for $7,000.00. Wonder if he'll take my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and some cash for both..lol? I dont know much about Fairlanes so I'm not sure what a good price would be. I checked NADA and avg retail is 7K for a "20 footer" as they call it...I found that funny!! haha...20 footer!!! Looked on ebay but no '69's

1000.00 is too much more like 750 on the high end in my opinion

and for the fairlane id give 200.00 for the engine and trans and the rear if its an 8 or 9inch ive never liked the 68-69 fairlanes and torinos and cobras so id just junk the body

let the flaming begin

i'd love to have a 69 fairlane 500. is it a sportsroof or a formal roof? i'd take a formal roof car and make a fairlane cobra clone out of it. i almost traded my mustang for a 69 fairlane 500 formal roof in high school. it had a built 351c and 4 speed with 4.11 gears but was pretty much totally stock otherwise and very clean.

i think 1k is a it much for 70 coupe with no drivetrain unless it has a really nice deluxe interior that can be swapped into your car i'd offer less.

i'd love to have a 69 fairlane 500. is it a sportsroof or a formal roof? i'd take a formal roof car and make a fairlane cobra clone out of it. i almost traded my mustang for a 69 fairlane 500 formal roof in high school.

Me too, the formal roofs just looks cleaner for some reason.

So, If I got the '70 Coupe, what could I do with it other than original restoration? What special models were available for the Coupe? I've heard of a '70 Shelby de Mexico coupe, a Boss 302 coupe (doesnt sound likely), etc. What would be a good clone project for it?

I believe its a "formal roof" it doesnt have that Mercury Cyclone "look".

looks like this

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/606000-606999/606646_4_full.jpg

that is a formal roof car. in fact it looks almost exactly like the one i was going to trade for in high school except that one had a black stripe down the hood, a custom fiberglass rear lip spoiler (think shelby or cal special) and General Lee style Western Hurricane wheels.

So, If I got the '70 Coupe, what could I do with it other than original restoration? What special models were available for the Coupe? I've heard of a '70 Shelby de Mexico coupe, a Boss 302 coupe (doesnt sound likely), etc. What would be a good clone project for it?

the only special coupes in 70 were the grandes and the grabber cars, some CJ cars and i think one of the ARI cars was a grabber blue coupe. no mexican shelbys in 70 other than one race car. the shelby de mexico cars you're thinking of were 69's, the ones with the fastback style roof extensions.

edit: the grabber blue coupe i'm thinking of may actually have been a convertible rather than a coupe but i'm still thinking it may have been a coupe i saw but i could very wel be wrong about that.

It's a 302 coupe with a 9 inch rear? Sure about that?

good point, i didn't catch that. if it was originally a 302 car it would have come with an 8" rear. not saying that a 9" couldn't have been swapped in at some point just that it wasn't original.

If it does have a 9 inch rear, then I'd contemplate buying it for 750 or so. The rear alone if in decent shape could be worth a few dollars to someone.

Thoughts here are a 302 car wouldn't have come with a 9 inch. If the 9 inch was put in at a later date, one would ASSuME it's not a stock open rear. In which case the center section is worth half of the 750 alone.

More than likely the guy saw it was a drop out center and just said 9 inch either hoping you wouldn't notice or he didn't know.