Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave_Mustang_50

wiring problem

I`m hoping someone can help me out.

Went to the store and turned the key to off and removed the key and the car kept running. Brought the car home and removed the key and the same thing. I tried the a/c and it wouldnt come on. Then I put the key in and turned it to run and the a/c started working. To shut the car off, I removed the key and simply removed the coil wire. Thinking this would be good until I figured this out. Now I seem to have drained my battery while leaving the car off. I pulled out the ign switch and the wiring looks good(new switch installed 1 year ago) except there is a red with white stripe cut(not taped). I cant find anything under the dash where it should go.

I have 3 questions...

1 What tells the car to shut off when I remove the key?

2 Anyone know what the red wire with a white stripe goes to?

3 Why would my battery go dead in a few days? Could my coil have been staying hot thereby draining the battery?

Sorry for the length.

Dave

Well, normally I would say that it was the ignition, removing the key is just like interupting a circuit or flipping a light switch leaving the circuit opened or closed. If you battery is draining though then it could be a bad alternator. I would recommend you recharge the battery and then with the car running disconnect the power form the ground, if the car stops running than it is a bad alternator. To test the ingnition you will need to bypass it by hotwireing your car like a thief would do. Take some 16 gauge wire and make a connection from the + battery terminal to the + coil terminal then use a screw driver to make a connection between the post on the solenoid and the "I" terminal. If you can run it normally like that then the ignition is bad. If not then buy your self a good multitester and start checking each connection working from the ground at the block back thru the battery, solenoid, coil, etc until you end at the ground from the block to the firewall. That is the only way to exactly trouble shoot where the problem is.

Good luck.

Pak

I would think ignition switch as well. If you are turning the key and the car is still running, seems to be an issue. Ignition switch typically has three posts, one for the battery bypass (always on - good for radio that has memory stations - my headlights are on this as well), one for start (just for the soliniod) and one for accessories (AC and the rest - only when the key is turned).

I would say change your ignition switch and see.....

Yup, it was the switch. I actually figured it out the day after I posted this. The reason the battery went dead was it kept my coil energized with 12V until it cracked from post to post(Like leaving the ign in the run pos when the motor was off for 3 days). Now I get to buy a coil too

Thanks for help/replies