Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musman

Tire clearance on '69 Mach1

trust me you will have to roll the lips at a very minimun, mine are rolled and i still get rubbing occasionally with a 7" rim and 235/60-15

And you don't even have a 1 inch drop ....I'll take your word for it, now what if i go with 225's/60/15 on 15x8 will it still rub? that's with 4.5 inch backspacing..

it'll be close but as long as the wheel is centered correctly it should be fine.

What are you referring to as centered? i don't want to have to roll the lip, taht's my main concern...

What are you referring to as centered? i don't want to have to roll the lip, taht's my main concern...

as in fore and aft centered in the wheelwell. if you don't want to roll the lips you'd be better of with the 215/65's. i know of a couple people with 69's that have 225/60-15's on 15x8 wheels and have the wheelwell lips rolled and still rub a little on sharp corners.

I know i'b be better off with 215/65/15s on 15x7 up front, but i'm afraid that it will look kind of skinny in the wheelwell, and to top it all off, i've got 4 new Magnum's 500 right now.....i'd have to find a way to trade in my 15x8's for 15x7's...

oh, i was running a 235/60-15 on a 15x7 wheel before i ever rolled the lip, so they'll work if you want to go to a a 7" wheel just not on an 8" wheel

But you think that with that 1 inch drop it will still work that combo....doesn't the 235's tires on a 7 inch rim aren't a bit too big for the wheel...

235 or 245/60/15 will work perfect on 7" rim. See the chart on my earlier post and it shows recommend rim size for the tire.

I would like to know if you can squeeze a 255/60/15 on a 7". The recommend width is 7.5"

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showpost.php?p=20329&postcount=15

I dunno it's gonna work, but it's just the look thing that i'm worried about, too much tire and not enough wheel....to answer your question, it ould probably work, but you could get the tire to slip right out of the wheel when cornering hard...anyway, i wouldn't go bigger than 235's on 15x7 up front.....like bnickel said it should fit ok....

the 215/65-15 has the eact same sidewall height as a 235/60-15, it's just narrower with a taller aspect ratio

That's the way i'm going, 215/65/15 on 15x7 with 1 inch drop up front, and 255/60/15 on 15x8 out back with stock suspension....backspacing is 4.5 all around.

Thanks for all the replys .

Thats great! Post some pic's and let us know how you like it when you get it all put togeater.

Within 2 weeks i should have them on the car, it has to go for the muffler installation...here is how i made my decision....this is Mod9 car with that same set-up...

789481_21_full.jpg

789481_18_full.jpg

I know i'b be better off with 215/65/15s on 15x7 up front, but i'm afraid that it will look kind of skinny in the wheelwell,

Suprisingly, the 215/65s look fine. I remember the old IROC Z/28s had 245/50/16s on 8s while the lesser camaros had 215/65s on 8s that looked almost as good.

Within 2 weeks i should have them on the car, it has to go for the muffler installation...here is how i made my decision....this is Mod9 car with that same set-up...

789481_21_full.jpg

This looks sweet! So is this with 1" drop coil springs in front and stock height rear leafs?

Also, did you say you were going 7" on the fronts with 4.5bs? I thought all 7" were 4.25bs.

Thats Cool! I'd like to see what that looks like.

no you don't. the sidewalls would look like bubbles. i've got 275/50-15 on 15x8 rear wheels and even the 8" wheel isn't really wide enough for that tire. the recommended tire size from BFG is really an 8.5" wide wheel, the minimum width is 7.5", the specs are the same as the 265/50-15. i'm not saying it can't be done but you really shouldn't becuase the tire will squirm around around A LOT and try to roll off the bead.

This looks sweet! So is this with 1" drop coil springs in front and stock height rear leafs?

Also, did you say you were going 7" on the fronts with 4.5bs? I thought all 7" were 4.25bs.

Yep, maybe you are right about the 7's being 4.25 backspacing.....i'll know for sure when i get them...but that's probably the case...

I have 295's on a 10" wide rim out back :tt1: course I hadda get air shocks. With people in the rear seat on a decent bump it rubs the wheelwell. I only have 205's up front though, id like some 235's but my front rims are only 6" wide wheels.

EDIT: backspacing is 3.75" on the rear wheels