Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Coupe

Suspension

so ive come to the time where i need to think about suspension ideas. and i need either some pointers on where to go, what you guys have used, or other threads to help. heres what ive got and would like to do.

the coupe has stock suspension all the way around, with the exception of adding air shocks to raise the back end up, BUT ive change from 14's all around to 14's up front and 15's in the rear.

so now the cars sits up in the rear kinda like i want but there's no air in the shocks, so i have basically no shocks. im debating whether i want to re-arch the springs and add std. shocks, OR lower the back a little, and leave the air shocks to raise the car exactly to where i want.

the front is bone stock, and im thinkin about doing, like a Shelby drop or something, to lower the front end a little bit. and add some sways bars to make it stick to the road, front and rear.

when i get done posting, ill try to find a car with THEE stance and post it, so you guys gcan give me some info on what to do to make the car look like that.

something kinda like the attached Trans Am Boss at the bottom.

You can see in my picture, how much room i have, but that is with 14" Ansen's and i now have Keystone Klassics on it, 14X7 and 15X8. right now it has so much room in the rear that i can fit maybe a hand and a half or even two hands, upright, not flat, between the tire and the body. and thats just because ive added 15's to the rear, now if i just go with brand new STOCK mustang leafs and go with a lower profile tire and drop the front end with the Shelby type 1" lowering kit. with 14's on the front? anybody got anything like that that i can see pictures of. 15's on the rear, 14's up front, with a nice rake to the body, not something from the 1970's where the back is 5 feet of the ground, but not something like the car sits 2 " of the ground either.

complicated i know, but im trying to figure out what to do, without trial and error and buying a bunch of parts, im doin my homework like im told.

on my coupe im planning to go with the 1inch raised leafs and 1 inch lowered front coils ,with 15's all the way around i changed my tires sixes from 14's to 15's last week or so and it handels alot better just doing that or so it seems i have airshocks on mine right now to but with the cost of new leafs (and the better material ) i wouldnt do anything else(instead of re-arching and things) but replace your old ones

Hmm, yall are going to a different approach than I did during my first restoration. I went with 15's all the way around, but I staggered the tires, the fronts were 225/70/15 (27.3") and the rears were 255/60/15 (27.1) that way they were the same height. I used a progressive rate 1.5 drop coils up front and Heavy duty leafs with 2" blocks. The stance had just a little bit of rake to it, I wanted it level.

untitled.jpg

One time I added some 295/50/15's (26.7) and it looked bad ass.

IMO if you want it to handle really good then you need to lower the back instead of raising it, because raising the back shifts the weight to the front, that will cause the butt of the car to loose traction and slide. The way I had mine setup it would handle great and launch HARD.

i dont necessarily want it to handle, like autocross or anything, but i just want it to have that mean stance to it. maybe ill see about just getting lower profile rear tires, and stock leafs, new of course, but stock, and a 1" front lowering, see what that does. thanks guys, any ore input is also encouraged

i think they are either 295 or 305 60/15's they were supposed to be for a truck, but the guy didnt need them, so we got um. i think mayb a 235 or 245 should work on the rears. not too big, but not too small so it looks like theres more wheel then there really is.

me personnely im from the 70's and early 80's i like a car to sit up all the way around with just a bit of a rake (not stinkbug or donk either) i dont care for the OH!!! i hope i dont bottom out on that speedbump look especaily on a muscle car

i dont MIND the low oh shit speed bump look, on certain cars. what i want is basically a nice slope frontwards. the front wheelwell about 1/2 to 1" above the front tire and the rear wheelwell about 1"1/2 to 2" above the wheel well. kinda like the OPPOSITE of what was on 65 and 66's where the body sloped backwards, i want that slope, FORWARDS. i know im sounding complicated or whatever. but its hard to explain in words.

yeah i know what you mean its basically the same thing i like

if i could post pics here i post a couple of my coupe with the 15s on back and the 14s on the front (mid tire swap) and then with the 15s all the way around

but everytime i try to post a pic it says its too big

skippyatknottspz7.jpg

i think this is the perfect stance for a 69 coupe with 15" wheels. lowered 1-1.5" up front and raised a bit from stock in the rear.

edit: you have to some sidewall for this look to work though. 17" wheels with less sidewall like what i'll have need to be lower tihan this one. if i was still running 15's, this would be the exact stance i'd want.