Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreaseMonkey

LoJack

http://www.lojack.com/

anyone had this installed in their Mustangs or other cars? i just heard about it and it seems like a pretty good little system. something like this would definitely make me feel better about driving my Mustang places and leaving it parked. especially considering how easy our cars are to steal.

im seriously thinking about having this installed in my Mustang when its done or almost done. but a couple things bug me. like how it doesnt say how much it costs or how much it might cost a dealer to install it which makes me think its really expensive. also that you have to have a dealer install it in the first place when it doesnt seem like it would be all that hard to do yourself. especially if you already have your car all or mostly apart like some of you do and i probably will at some point.

but on the other hand even if it was real expensive and my car got stolen and this helped get it recovered quickly and undamaged and helped the cops catch the guy it would be TOTALLY worth it.

You just heard about it? Wow, this has been around for like ever it seems. I am sure it's pretty pricey, I remember looking into it like 7 years ago and it was too expensive for me. They seem to have a high success rate but if they fail you only get paid back for the cost of the device and service, you still have to have it well insured to cover the loss of property but you will get a discount on the insurance. The reason it has to be dealer installed is to keep the location of the device secure, part of the whole reason it works is because thieves can't be sure where it is to bypass it.

Honestly, all though I shouldn't be saying this in public really I guess, I think deterents work as well as actual devices these days. Think about how many times you might hear a neighbors alarm going off, do you always stop and go investigate? I came to the decision a long time ago that if a thief want's your car bad enough he will get it. Ours are all too easy to steel but much harder for them to part out also comapred to more modern and plentiful cars or GM types that share alot of common items. For several years running the most frequently stolen car was a mid 80's Olds 4 door Cierra belive it or not. Alot of times cars in the 10 year old range are more popular than a sport or exotic, here is a neat link to see what is hottest where you live: http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=78&gps=383_817_1020_598&f=20&su=p284.7.420.ip_p284.5.420.ip_p706.3.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.campbellsolberg.com/resources/top10stolencars.htm%23state

So with that in mind, I bought myself a little blinking red light for about $1.50 at Whitney's that is visable from the windshield and I took this logo, added a little "This car protected by" above the name on my computer and printed out a window sticker. Most thieves will move onto a car that does not appear to be protected before they take a chance on one that is.

logo.gif

heh thats a good idea i guess, its definitely cheaper lol

one thing that happens a lot in my area though, is thieves will steal a car just to take it on a joyride instead of taking it to a chop shop to part it out. a lot of times the cars get recovered but the thieves almost never get caught. and sometimes they crash the cars, or sometimes the cars even get stolen again after the first thief is done with his joyride and leaves it somewhere. even though our cars would be hard to part out im thinking my car would be a temtping target for something like that. and it would make me happy knowing my car has something that would finally help catch some of these people if they take my car.

i think ill keep trying and find out how much it costs without actually calling them, i just wanna know about how much it might cost+dealer installation without having someone trying to talk me into giving them my money:thumbdown:

I'm not sure what that link is because I cancelled out of it as it set off my McAfee site advisor as having embedded worm objects that breech the firewall, so FYI.:excl:

I know some people that have car alarms activated by a pressure sensor in the seat. If you don't turn off the sensor before you get in the car it sets off a pair of 100 decibel sirens mounted under the dash. Wire those into any car security system and it makes it a whole hell of a lot more difficult to steal or joyride in a car. :gunsmilie:

If any of you really don't want to pay for such a thing BUT you want a form of protection use the "Poormans Lowjack"....

Things you'll need:

Old Cell Phone that is out of service that has GPS/ tracking ability (most phones from the past 3-4 years have this)

12V car charger

ESN# off the phone and the provider it belonged to.

Hardwire the phone into the car, hid it somewhere wierd like in the heater box of mounted somewhere that will be last to be stripped. Leave the phone on and if your car is stolen, call the cops with the ESN# and tell them the provider. They'll do the rest.

Even though you're not paying for service on the phone the ESN# can still be used to track it if the locationing and power is on.