Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burritoboi5

My 69 Coupe Prject Thread

You are just too damn good at this guessing game :cowboy:

I'm planning on a roller cam with some roller rockers to complement the valvetrain setup. Also playing with the idea of EFI becuase otherwise I would have to invest about 700 in a new fuel system, (carb, fuel line, pump, tank, manifold) Not sure yet though because a performance setup would cost about 2500 but be ballin.....

hahaha, speaking of mistakes and time. My timeline may have just gotten longer. Decided to add EFI to the list for sure. But tomorow I order the brakes and parts I need to rebuild the front suspension along with some engine components, maybe even that nive lookin edelbrock EFI. Any word though on a shaker hood with an EFI setup?

Quick question for you guys. I need to replace all of the wiring up front of my car. The wiring in back and under that dash is salvagable though. Would you reccomend I go with a whole new setup or just this kit?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=C9ZZ14290R+01&Category=Electrical&subCategory=Wiring+Harnesses&CatKey=EMUSTANG

Got some 75 argon 25 CO2 today and just threw down a few beads. HOLY SH%T. This is an enormous improvement over flux cored. I can't wait to see how it goes later tonight or tomorw when I get a chance to weld some more. :clap:

Well, been a bit since I've updated. I pulled apart the dash and found some rust in the cowl, along with a very odd crack, that I'll get some pictures of eventually. Also found a guy near me that sells t-5s. But since I finally got myself some welding gas I took the opportunity to tack in the driver side inner fender. Hopefully I'll have time to get the front crossmember off and the new one on this weekend so I can do some finishing welds and then do final dissassembly of the frontend before blasting it and por-15 treatment. :batman:

DSC_0033.jpg

Aww man the gas is AWESOME. I can actually produce half way decent welds that don't look like someone is spitting metal balls at the car. :red_indian:

About the air cleaner, sure I have no use for it since I'm gonna go EFI and a shaker. Don't really want your chrome one though.

Well, started taking out the front crossmember and damnit some previous owner welded the living hell out of it with a crappy stick job. Just globs everywhere and making it a very grinding intensive project. I really wish I had a damned cut off wheel. Hurt my hand pretty badly when the sawzall kicked me too. But hopefully I'll get the motivation to go out there and just get the piece of crap off and then I can install the pretty new one and be done with the sheetmetal replacement in the front of the engine bay.

Well, started taking out the front crossmember and damnit did the previous owner weld the living hell out of it with a crappy stick job. Just globs everywhere and making it a very grinding intensive project. I really wish I had a damned cut off wheel. Hurt my hand pretty badly when the sawzall kicked me too. But hopefully I'll get the motivation to go out there and just get the piece of crap off and then I can install the pretty new one and be done with the sheetmetal replacement in the front of the engine bay.

You can get a cut off disk for your angle grinder. I have put one on mine before and it does a very good job. Only problem is that an angle grinder spins alot faster than the cut off wheel and sometimes a cut off disk on an angle grinder will explode and send peice of the wheel everwhere. Oh and are you using a flapper type disk on your grinder when your grinding?

A flapper disc is alot better when grinding down welds, and metal. It does not gouge into the metal and it will not cause the metal to heat up and distort like a solid/stone wheel. They are available at home depot. IMO far superiour to the solid stone wheel. Ever since I bought one, I have never used a stone wheel again. The picture below is what I am talking about, except the ones I buy screw onto the grinder.

570c_1.JPG

been a while since an update.....but since last time I've found a rusted frame rail, decided to replace both. reorganized the garage twice, cut out the one frame rail. Built a body cart. Filled some rust holes in the body, and purchased all of my new engine parts. The new frame rail assemblies come tomorw but I fabbed in some bracing and took some measurements today so I could remove the bulk of the frame rail. Here are the updated pics.

DSC_0039.jpg

rust

DSC_0057.jpg

body cart

DSC_0081.jpg

new setup

DSC_0086.jpg

bracing

DSC_0085.jpg

is something missing?

DSC_0087.jpgframe rail alignment and bracing

Yep parts all came in yesterday. And I've spent the past three hours trying to remove the last bit of the frame rail. But the spot weld cutter I have is too small. And I don't know how the hell they ever got to welding in the inside of the frame but the damned spot welds are all over a quarter inch thick, closer to a half inch and incredibly hard to access. I've already decided the next tool is going to be a plasma cutter, just wish I had it now. Do you have any tips on how the hell I can get this to go a little easier? I've still got a whole nother side to do assuming I ever finish this one........

I use a small and a large drill bit. The small bit is to just start the hole then go back and make a big hole with the larger drill bit. I tried using the spot weld cutter,but it pissed me off so I just drill holes now. Once your all done go back and fill in the holes you made with weld using a flattened copper pipe ans a backing.

I feel your pain with working with the damn torque boxes, they used some heavy gauge material in those.