Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burritoboi5

My 69 Coupe Prject Thread

I've been posting questions and progress in some other assorted threads and it was reccomended I start my own. So here goes. Bought the car in upstate NY and brought it back here to CT. Since then I've pulled off the front end of the car and by the end of the week hope to have my block at the machine shop to get it checked out. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

8b04_3.jpg

44c8_3.jpg

c7bb_3.jpg

d73e_3.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Nice car, it looks like you've got a good foundation to start with. What are your plans for it? A stock restore or restomod? Has it already been restored or just repainted? because it looks like there isn't any rust on it and are the frame rails in good shape?

Also, is the engine a 302 or 351w? Sorry for all the questions i just get excited seeing someone elses car that looks exactly the same as mine haha

PS: Make sure those fenders don't fall off the car the headlight buckets are $$$, ASK ME HOW I KNOW :shit:

hahaha yeah I have some wire holding them up there so they shouldn't fall down but worst case the car came with some extras, I sure hope I don't need to use those though. Your right in that the car doesn't look like it is the stock color, the rear fenders were replaced along with new skins on the doors. And then some poorly done patchwork on the front inner fenders so I'm replacing those as soon as I get some argon. The engine is a 302 with a c4. I'm selling the c4 though in favor of a 5 speed manual. Engine rebuild plans are completely forged bottom end, new cylinder heads so I can run unleaded, new exhaust/headers. And then a mild cam to hopefully net about 275-300 hp. Oh new carb too. Once that's setup I want to run either a 75 or 100 shot of nitrous, but I don't plan on putting that in untill I get in a rollcage and some legit harnesses. I have a monte carlo bar and export brace that are going in. Followed by some disc brakes up front and some subframe connectors to tie it all together, then maybe new gears. I also plan on playing around with some painting and seeing how that goes, or else it'll go primer till we finish up the mechanical work. O gonna need to rewire the whole damn car too. I'm just hoping to have the driveline all buttoned up by the end of the summer and have the front end panels rebuilt/brakes done/suspension rebuilt. Ambitous but I'm in highschool so I can get in a few hours of work a night and 6-10 on the weekends. I'm keeping track of all expenditures and logging the hours I put in because I think that will be cool to have when the car is all done. :red_indian:

Sounds like you have a great project going. The car looks to be in pretty good shape. I restored my mustang the first time when I was in high school.

I would like to add two things to your list of things to do. Make sure you replace the gas tank and fuel line. The gas tank is only like $100 and fuel line is cheap. You don't want to put crap into a brand new engine. If your planning on running nitrous down the road, more than like your gonna need a bigger fuel line anyways. Just my opinion

Well finally got a harmonic dampner puller today so I got the front end off and was able to pull out the pistons. Bad news though the bearings are worn down pretty badly.....BTW anyone have comments about the strength of stock connecting rods and N20?

Connecting rods won't be your problem while running nitrous oxide.

If you're running a 75-100 shot on this thing, just get a good forged piston (TRW at least), ARP Rod bolts, Clevite 77 bearings (P's are fine). I'd recommend an NX kit as I like their solenoids better for the intro line and a good carburetor. Ignition timing is important and I personally run a digital window switch with my MSD Digital 6 Plus box to retard the timing at the same time the nitrous is engaged.

Good fuel pressure, good timing, good plugs and any motor can run on the right amount of nitrous.

Oh and it's alright to be young.... I got my Mustang when I was 17. I'm on motor number 3 and it's only been 3 years :(

Oh and no worries, original motor was very worn, second motor was a stock rebuild and was built by an idiot machinist and the third motor is in the car now.

Got all the pistons out tonight and used a bore gauge. Look like they are all measuring at about 4.015. I guess I'll be taking it to a machine shop and seeing what they say. probably go with a .02 over hone and get it all scrubbed and checked for cracks.

heres the engine code btw- C80E-6015-A with 8L2 written above that.

Well.... Dropped off the block at a machine shop. They'll be boring it out for some forged pistons. Tuesday I go to get some argon. But in the meantime I dissasembled the cylinder heads, along with taking the front suspension off the car and removing one of the inner fenders that I'm replacing. This has taken a LOT of grinding and only more to come. But an Air chisel, a sawzall, and a grinding wheel made it reasonably timely. I need to order some media for the blaster but once that comes in The front end should start getting its act together and looking decent.

DSC_0025.jpg

Well actually the goal is before I go to college....So end of summer time :alucard:

I'm hoping to have the inner fenders and crossmember in there by saturday afternoon but we'll see how that timeline goes. I'll also be placing a pretty big order for engine parts on tuesday and then some brake and suspension parts up front so I can start to collect the parts I will need to get it back to a rolling chassis.

I'm replacing the inner fenders because the driver side was rippled rather oddly. And the passenger side because there were about 5 different patches made to it previously and some rust out from I assume battery fluid leaking. So I figure for 30 bucks I might as well put in a brand new formed piece of metal with no patches and no questionability in its integrity. Only problem I'm having is lining up the top lip of the inner fender with that of the closer piece now the cowl. The outside edge is about a quarter inch higher than it should and I think I'm going to have to bend my brand new piece. Any suggestions?

Only problem I'm having is lining up the top lip of the inner fender with that of the closer piece now the cowl. The outside edge is about a quarter inch higher than it should and I think I'm going to have to bend my brand new piece. Any suggestions?

Take some pics, your explanation is kinda hard to follow. I would try not to bend anything that could cause you more problems down the road..

I also replaced my aprons as well and I ran into the same problem,looks to me that these after market replacment parts dont fit perfect as they clam.You may have to do a little bending of your own to make fit just right. those c-clamps you got on the floor might help you out a little bit!!!!

Yeah the c clamps or the "helper" my sledge will make it fit :batman:

I was looking at it again today and it appears as though I should be able to bend it a little, maybe an eigth an inch and it should fit once clamped and welded. Box came from Mustangs Unlimited today, my new front crossmember. I'm debating replacing the two pieces that run from the frame rails to the lower radiator support and crossmember but am having trouble figure out what the hell they're called.

O and I'd like to point out that Mustangs unlimited is an awesome website for the reproduction parts. Decent Prices and they're located in CT so regular shipping arrives in 1-2 business days for me :punk:

I'm gonna go outside and do somemore grinding and possibly tack in the passenger side fender, should be a lot easier now that all the suspension equipment is gone as of noon-time today.

Well... It took two hours of measuring, grinding, measuring, tacking, measuring, grinding, and It's finally spot welded in there. All the measurements seem to be within spec and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Except that Flux cored welding sucks and smells aweful. But anyways, that's one down two to go.

The c-clamps were awesome and I couldn't have done it without them. Just next time I'm using weld through primer, so long as the hardware store can get some in stock for me. Tomorow mornign I plan on going to get some argon and then I'll probably fool around welding up the rest of this panel and drilling some bolt holes, before moving on to the other side's panel. Here's a picture of it as it is now.

DSC_0030.jpg

Looks good, but if I were you I would double the amount of spot welds you did. Or throw a bead on all the edges. I like to over kill everything for that just in case situation.

Oh, could you do me a favor and take a picture at an angle getting both the radiator support and fender apron. Thanks in advance

Thanks, and glad I could help you out there mr GMC. I pulled the driver side panel this morning and luckily had the radiator support all braced up before I ran out of flux core. So hopefully tomorw I can get some argon and then this weekend finish up welding in these two panels and the front crossmember.

After all the new sheetmetal is in I do plan on sandblasting the rest of the engine bay and por-15 the living hell out of it. But first I need to order some media and get a coil spring compressor so I can pop those big boys out. I'm gonna run down to napa and talk to a friend of mine there so that hopefully I can finalize what I want to do with the engine and then place a parts order tonight. Update on the engine BTW is that it will be getting a full complement of forged pistons and some upgraded connecting rods that are lighter and stronger than stock in both cases. :donatello: