Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d.reese

69 Rear spoiler info needed!

Help,I purchased an original rear spoiler (Mach) and am installing on a 69 convertabile trunk lid as part of a gt package! Trunk has no holes where do I start to find correct dimensions? It did come with the supports that go below the trunk and remaining hardware. Any answers out there,David?

Just don't put it on backwards like I did. No one but a Mustang guru will notice...unless they are an aerodynamics expert. Just mock it up till it looks right. Make sure the fat side of the wing is toward the front...just like an airplane wing.

"original rear spoiler"

Than you are in for a big surprise, you must like the "BOW" look. All original '69 spoilers "have or will have" the bow curve develop in the wing. I have one of the "bowed originals" and even back in 1980-1984 when showing the mustang in the AutoRama circuits, everybody commented on that damn "bowed" wing.

"purchased an original rear spoiler (Mach) and am installing on a 69 "

If it is a '69 wing, it will have the bow, and you could be correct a '70 wing going on a '69 in that case it is as you said, a different story.

I used to have one on my vert, if you like the positioning of it I could always take a pic with some measurements of it for you as the old lid is just sitting in my basement right now.

TK- How would you get a Sports Roof deck lid style "bobtail" look on a convertible deck lid? Are there aftermarket CV deck lids made that way? I assume the SR rear fender extensions would bolt right on?

That would be a different look, different than the Shelby conversion. I'm with you on putting a rear spoiler/wing on a convertible.....

Hmm, not sure of rear spoilers on convertibles.

I wonder if it would look better in conjunction with a sports roof style bobtail?

Well after my car gets painted with the Shelby conversion I plan to take a few pics mocked up with the spoiler back on to see if it gets added back or sold so we'll know if it looks better or not by the spring. The PO had added it to my car before and I was always take it or leave it, I think it looks good both ways, better than a granny luggage rack anyway.

9R, the SR extensions will bolt on but not line up as the quarters of the SR bulge out way more. Check the pics of the guy on the board that owns the Overhaulin car, they did a full SR conversion to it. The easier way without going Shelby is the Maier kit like on the millions of pictures of Steve Kleva's car that seem to get posted in every other thread around here eventually.

Maybe it's the stripes? My first impression was a 1st gen camaro though. This will need more research before I do my vert that way..... might look totally different on a vert. Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's why ultimately after looking at all my options I decided to custom glass the Shelby one to a stock taillight panel to acheive the end look I wanted. As far as I can tell the only other car I have seen like that is the Comp Cams vert and they took a different approach to it then I did.

Hey Reese, no problem, I'll dig it out this weekend and put the tape measure to it for a picture.

Picture_004.jpg

Anyone have an idea of what exacly djs69stang has fore a rear decklid/end caps. I PM'ed him and he said that the PO installed it and got if from a company in Cali.

Here's his ride (from the gallery on this site). It kind of looks like the Maier Racing wing. I think I like it. I was thinking of doing something similar to my vert. I think the ducktail looks better on the vert (like the older cali specials) than the pedestal wing:

My_69_Stang_Left_Rear.sized.jpg

Anyone have an idea of what exacly djs69stang has fore a rear decklid/end caps. I PM'ed him and he said that the PO installed it and got if from a company in Cali.

Here's his ride (from the gallery on this site). It kind of looks like the Maier Racing wing. I think I like it. I was thinking of doing something similar to my vert. I think the ducktail looks better on the vert (like the older cali specials) than the pedestal wing:

My_69_Stang_Left_Rear.sized.jpg

that is the Maier piece. do a search for Steve Kleva and you'll find his gray with black stripes 69 coupe with the same lid. the stripes on his car make it look very different than this one though.

that is the Maier piece. do a search for Steve Kleva and you'll find his gray with black stripes 69 coupe with the same lid. the stripes on his car make it look very different than this one though.

Thanks. That's what I thought, however I wasn't sure if it was maybe the Shelby one that had the recessed area filled in. I've seen pictures of Kleva's ride.

When I'm ready to do this with my car, I believe that this will be the route I'll be going. The ductail spoiler flows so much better with the lines of a convertible, when the top is down. Very cool.