Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FallujahMedic

460 BBF, will it fit?

motor mounts and headers, that's it. you can "shave" the shock towers for easier access but it's not necessary. i cam real close to buying a 69 mach 1 that someone had started a 429cj swap on and then lost interest but i couldn't come up with enough money at the time. also, a guy i used to know bought a 69 coupe that was once one of the hot rod magazine "fastest street car car shootout" cars back in the early 90's. it had a stroked 460 with FMS aluminum cobra jet heads and a ladder bar setup in the rear but the engine compartment and front suspension were bone stock, even had the stock manual steering from when it was a six cylinder car. this car would normally run in the low 10's on pump gas and carry the front wheels past the 60' mark. this is that car, sorry i don't have any pics of the engine bay, it really wasn't even that bad changing the plugs provided you pulled the valve covers when you were doing it, which was a good idea with that engine anyway because it liked to munch valve springs.

The 429-460 engine is a great engine. They are one big air pump. The more air it gets the power it makes. Plus with aluminum heads and intake the engines become quite light for the size. If you use the shock towers for a 4.6 liter conversion you will get the proper clearance you need. The 460 is almost the same size as the the 4.6 liter. The 4.6 is actually wider. 460 is 32" long, 26"high and 26" wide. The 4.6 is SOHC 25 5/8 wide, DOHC IS 30" wide, Height is SOHC 26" DOHC is 29 7/8 , Length is SOHC 28" DOHC is 28" I can't remember who sells the shock towers but their out there. I have seen one and it is cool. As for weight, my 460 with aluminum heads and intake is around 670lbs. I'm sure the 4.6 is not far off . Hope this helps

I had an aluminium head 460 in my 69 fastback drag car and had plenty of room..no shock tower clearance problems...but I did use a motor and mid plate to mount it..no motor mounts..

even with motor mounts you don't need to modify the towers, in fact it's really no harder to change the plugs than it would be with a 351c, in fact it might actually be easier because the plugs are actually going to sit higher in the engine bay with a 429/460 than a 351c. if you run roller rockers and tall valve covers you'll have to pull the valve covers to change the plugs but that's only because the tall valve covers do not provide enough clearance to turn a wrench, shouldn't be a problem with standard height valve covers.

even with motor mounts you don't need to modify the towers, in fact it's really no harder to change the plugs than it would be with a 351c, in fact it might actually be easier because the plugs are actually going to sit higher in the engine bay with a 429/460 than a 351c. if you run roller rockers and tall valve covers you'll have to pull the valve covers to change the plugs but that's only because the tall valve covers do not provide enough clearance to turn a wrench, shouldn't be a problem with standard height valve covers.

I can back this up. It is most certainly harder to change them on a 351c as the shorter deckheight causes the plugs to sit RIGHT on top of the shocktowers.

I've seen a car with a 460 and wished mine sat that way.

SWEET!!!

Ok, So there seem to be enough "yes's" out there to seriously consider this as an option. I'm more of a small block kind of guy, but my brother the "Gas Turbine mechanic", well his motto is "theres no replacement for displacement". So he's been twisting my arm trying to get be to consider the big block as an option.

Now that we know its viable, what configurations have people been running? What kind of heads? Blue Thunder? SCJ? What about intakes? Are these Roller blocks?

If you look in the NPD catalogue you will find coil over conversion shock towers. They are for the 4.6 liter conversion. These would work the best for this type of conversion. It will increase clearances as well as have a adjustable front suspension. They look pretty cool. As for the heads allot of people like the trick flow heads. I'm running SCJ's a little work to the head and they flow great.

I bought a 69 SportsRoof with a 468 in it a few months ago. All I can tell you about how they got it in is that they cut and welded up the shock towers and it took some front suspension modification. The guy I bought it from said the guys he had do the work had the engine in and out A LOT to make sure it fit in right. There's plenty of room for me to change the plugs etc. It has DOVE-C heads also.

I'll know some more about it soon. The engine is coming out for some work, or, if the shortblock is shot, replacement with a larger 460 based motor.

But to answer your original question, it will fit, just a matter of how much modification is necessary.

I bought a 69 SportsRoof with a 468 in it a few months ago. All I can tell you about how they got it in is that they cut and welded up the shock towers and it took some front suspension modification. The guy I bought it from said the guys he had do the work had the engine in and out A LOT to make sure it fit in right. There's plenty of room for me to change the plugs etc. It has DOVE-C heads also.

I'll know some more about it soon. The engine is coming out for some work, or, if the shortblock is shot, replacement with a larger 460 based motor.

But to answer your original question, it will fit, just a matter of how much modification is necessary.

the whole point is that there are no mods required to fit one other than motor mounts and headers.

Yes they fit, but if you build a performance engine the fit is less than optimal for headers. Using the 2" crites headers would really choke my engine. I'm hoping to use 2 1/8 at minimum, and 2 1/8 - 2 1/4 step headers if possible.

If your running a near stock 429/460, then I would say they fit fine.

Jimmy