Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForceFed70

How to: Convert your auto pedal assembly to Std.

Here's some pics and instructions for you 69/70 guys on how to convert your stock automatic pedal assembly and brake pedal over to a manual setup.

1st you'll need to buy a 69 or 70 clutch pedal. The pedals appear to be interchangeable as I'm using a 69 pedal for my 70 assembly and it looks like it's made to be there.

Here's a picture of a 69 pedal I snagged off of Ebay for $40. Ignore the stuff bolted on top, that's for my homemade cable clutch conversion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=972&d=1167431450

Here's some pics and instructions for you 69/70 guys on how to convert your stock automatic pedal assembly and brake pedal over to a manual setup.

1st you'll need to buy a 69 or 70 clutch pedal. The pedals appear to be interchangeable as I'm using a 69 pedal for my 70 assembly and it looks like it's made to be there.

Here's a picture of a 69 pedal I snagged off of Ebay for $40. Ignore the stuff bolted on top, that's for my homemade cable clutch conversion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=972&d=1167431450

As you can see in the picture, the 69 pedal looks right at home in the 70 assembly. The assembly has since been primered if you were wondering why it looks different.

You can also see that the stock automatic brake pedal is too wide and will interfere with the clutch pedal.

As you can see in the picture, the 69 pedal looks right at home in the 70 assembly. The assembly has since been primered if you were wondering why it looks different.

You can also see that the stock automatic brake pedal is too wide and will interfere with the clutch pedal.

You can either buy a new brake pedal for a manual assembly (remember power pedal is different from manual) or you can cut down your factory pedal.

I chose to cut down my pedal. Here you can see the cut line I made using the pedal pad as a guide.

You can either buy a new brake pedal for a manual assembly (remember power pedal is different from manual) or you can cut down your factory pedal.

I chose to cut down my pedal. Here you can see the cut line I made using the pedal pad as a guide.

I might add that it is possible to do this all in the car without removing the pedal support at all. I took the driver's seat out so I could lay on the floor comfortably and went at it.

One thing I'd like to point out on this thread is that there is a slight difference in the clutch stop bumper between the two years. In 1969, there is a hole in the hanger for the clutch bumper. In 1970, the bumper moved to the pedal. So, when using a 69 pedal in a 70 hanger you will notice that there are no holes for the pedal bumper, as was the case in my situation. I simply drilled a hole in the clutch pedal to accept the bumper.

Also, if you are like me and got the clutch pedal assembly with a non-power brake pedal, you can remove the pedal pads and reweld the correct one on. It's more work but doesn't have the bump on the back that the cut automatic pedal would have. Heres a few pictures:

231_21_06_10_5_03_54_1.JPG

231_21_06_10_5_03_55_2.JPG

231_23_06_10_7_49_35_0.JPG

I am getting ready to convert my 69 Mach I with a 351 C and FMX to a 4 speed, or 5 speed. Besides the clutch pedal assembly, what else will I have to change?

If you go www.moderndriveline.com they have a list of what you would need to convert from a manual to a 5 spd. I am also converting from a C-4 auto to a 5 spd & had my pedal hanger pivot converted to a roller set up.

38055t-kit-installed-voila-done.jpg