Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

icebluestang

Sweet '69 Convertible on Overhaulin'

I guess I'll have to look for the rerun of this episode, I missed it. I have never been a fan of the black rim on a black car deal especialy with a rim that big, overall I don't think I like the end product very much at all, makes me kinda glad actualy that I didn't try to get my car on the show when it first got in the accdient now as that could be what I'm driving I guess.:pinch:

I have been doing photoshops on my car with the fastback quarters since 200 though but I was always told it was almost impossible and that the scoops would interfere with the top. I did almost consider giving it a try though duringt he rebuild. If both sides of the car had been damaged I definitely might have especially with the Shelby rear end but I wouldn't have had the heart to chop up a perfect original driver quarter.

I guess I'll have to look for the rerun of this episode, I missed it. I have never been a fan of the black rim on a black car deal especialy with a rim that big, overall I don't think I like the end product very much at all, makes me kinda glad actualy that I didn't try to get my car on the show when it first got in the accdient now as that could be what I'm driving I guess.:pinch:

I have been doing photoshops on my car with the fastback quarters since 200 though but I was always told it was almost impossible and that the scoops would interfere with the top. I did almost consider giving it a try though duringt he rebuild. If both sides of the car had been damaged I definitely might have especially with the Shelby rear end but I wouldn't have had the heart to chop up a perfect original driver quarter.

I saved the episode but I think I agree with the others that I am not sure I would want them touching my car, crate engine, ghost flames, tires - looks more pimped than restored.

I am looking forward to the DIY network restore of a 1965 Fastback coming up on January 5. Much more of a hands-on, show you how to do it show. Probably greats tips for most of us..detail on the web if you miss an episode...preview below.

Video

Preview

Dave

I saved the episode but I think I agree with the others that I am not sure I would want them touching my car, crate engine, ghost flames, tires - looks more pimped than restored.

I am looking forward to the DIY network restore of a 1965 Fastback coming up on January 5. Much more of a hands-on, show you how to do it show. Probably greats tips for most of us..detail on the web if you miss an episode...preview below.

Video

Preview

Dave

Video

Preview

Dave

Oooh, thanks for pointing that out, Dave!

I had been recording this show for some time, but had removed it from the DVR recording line-up because they were all repeats. I didn't realize there were new ones coming out. I still have a couple of the episodes from the Thunderbird restoration saved because they were very applicable to the mustang (one on brakes, and a couple on the engine and tranny...that T-bird had a 390-C6 setup, just like mine!).

I can't wait for the Mustang series to start!

Video

Preview

Dave

Oooh, thanks for pointing that out, Dave!

I had been recording this show for some time, but had removed it from the DVR recording line-up because they were all repeats. I didn't realize there were new ones coming out. I still have a couple of the episodes from the Thunderbird restoration saved because they were very applicable to the mustang (one on brakes, and a couple on the engine and tranny...that T-bird had a 390-C6 setup, just like mine!).

I can't wait for the Mustang series to start!

Hey guys...

I'm Dave, this is my 69 convertible you are talking about :)

Here's a few facts about the car and show...

Most of the show they talked about a 302 which is the one from ford racing with 345 horsepower. It turns out that motor was not in stock so they ended up getting a 327 stroker from Hawaii Racing. This motor has 385 horsepower plus whatever the headers add. At the very end of the show they mention it a bit but you might have missed it cuz the first half of the show they talked about the 302 a few times.

Also a couple of things they didnt mention on the show. Overhaulin' tries to make each car so that it is the mark's "dream car". I noticed a lot of you guys don't like certain things like the big black wheels, non-stock interior, etc. But that is stuff that i have always dreamed about and talked with my dad about forever... One of my passions is baseball so they even stitched the seats in red like a baseball stitching. Everytime my dad and i would see a car on the road with big black wheels we'd argue about how good it looked (me loving it , him hating it)... so pretty much everything you see is because he told them about me. If you went on the show and your dream was a bone stock car, thats what they'd probably do. They are an amazing bunch of people over there... im still in shock over the whole thing.

They are going to send me a CD of photos that they took during the build and reveal, when i get those i will post here. In the meantime here are some photos my dad and i took. Some are a few days after, the car is a bit dusty in the outdoor ones. I still don't have the car back, im hoping this month sometime, its still in safety check.

I'm glad to be a part of this forum!!!!! L8r :)

if you have any questions or want to chat, hit me up!!

PHOTOS:

DSC07254.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/before01.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/before02.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/DSC07241.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/DSC07254.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/DSC07255.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-021.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-031.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-033.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-039.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-034.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/Overhaulin,-Dec.-'06-042.jpg

http://www.sitewave.com/6d9vert/back.jpg

Welcome to the site and congratulations on having a dream build come true, in the end all that matters is if you like it but its always fun to point out our own likes and dislikes. I'll have to try and catch this episode sometime. What size wheels are those?

Well that's just too cool. I was just reading the post and couldn't believe I missed the episode, I try to catch it every week.

Dave, that is a wicked cool ride and I'm glad you got your dream car. Enjoy it and drive safe.

Well congratulations on your vehicle. When it comes to retro modding, it’s a matter of personal preference and since it’s YOUR car, it should be what makes YOU happy. I think it’s a pretty cool looking car for the most part but like you Dad, I’m not a huge fan of large rims on a classic car. Must be an “age†thing (LOL).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Most Mustangs came with 14†or 15†wheels and was considered part of the suspension. When you put 17†or larger tires on an older car without changing the spring rate and other components to something softer you can end up with a very stiff ride( i.e. uncomfortable) for the street.

<o:p></o:p>

I really like the fastback deck lid. It’s more subtle than the 69/70 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Shelby</st1:City></st1:place> look. Like I said earlier, I like it and while I missed the show, it would be interesting to hear from you how you were selected and how they decided on the mods. Welcome to the site and remember that were all a little different and than includes our opinions on what we like in our cars, however we’re all fans of 1969/70 Mustangs

Hey all right, our first celebrity on the forum, welcome bud!!!!!!

I would love to see detailed pics eventually on how they grafted the fastback quarters and decklid to the car, I still can't quite rap my mind around how they made the trunk lid. If you know when the epsiode will re-air please tell us becasue I am still waiting to catch it in re-run.

Pak.

Hey guys :)

To answer your quesion on the wheels... they are 20X10 in the rear and i think 20X8.5 in front (not sure on front). Ya they are huge! lol It looks like they put an awesome suspension on it, but im not sure what it is LOL. I'll post more details about everything on the car when i learn more.

Here are the next air dates for the show:

Today (Thursday 1/11 @ 7PM)

Friday 1/12 @ 2AM)

TLC Channel

:)

Hey all right, our first celebrity on the forum, welcome bud!!!!!!

I would love to see detailed pics eventually on how they grafted the fastback quarters and decklid to the car, I still can't quite rap my mind around how they made the trunk lid. If you know when the epsiode will re-air please tell us becasue I am still waiting to catch it in re-run.

Pak.

Pak, from what i saw in the episode, the used the spoiler portion of a fastback decklid and grafted that onto the vert's stock lid. Foose was saying something about making it a bolt on but it sure looks to me like it was welded/bonded then smoothed in, i think the ends caps just went into place since they added the fastback 1/4's.

Dsnow, welcome!!!!! for the most part i always like Chip's creations but sometimes there are certain aspects of some cars that i don't like. in your car's case there wasn't much i didn't like. i'd been wondering for quite some time how Foose made the front spoiler on the "Blackened" 69 factback that he designed for Bud Brutsman and no i know. that guy is definitely creative that's for sure.

Congrats on a cool car!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Look forward to seeing pictures in the future.

Hey when you get your car back it would be great if you made the trip up to Nor Cal for the Mustang Club of America National Show we are having in June. It would be great to have a "celebrity" Mustang at the show.

http://www.wildwestmustangnationals.com/

Again congrats!

Welcome to the Forum Dave! Your car Looks great! I personaly am not a fan of those wheels myself but what matters is you like them. I got a kick out of that episode because I have thought of doing the Fastback quarter panel idea years ago, but being the purist I am for original I doubt I would have done it. I enjoy the show but being a Mustang restorer myself if my wife set me up for one of my projects being stolin and restored/restomod etc I would be pissed!!! LOL! Now that your car is done what are your obligations to them and Costs? Chip does amaze me with his Vision. Congrats!!

Just watched myself tonight. Wow, that is awsome. I love the car and you got some really cool stuff on it. Have you driven it yet? We want to know how it rides / handles / power - tell us everything.

That's right and I too think it looks way cool.

I like what Dave said on the show about sitting in it before he could drive rocking out to a tape deck and dreaming about driving the car. I had a killer stereo that my friends and I wold listen to and I didn't even have an engine or trans in the car. We'd listen for awhile, then get out and wax it again.

Guys.. thanks for all the kind words :)

69grandecj, i would love to go to that show, i have family in norcal so that could be cool, i need to buy a trailer or something.

Armond.. i guess i will be responsible to pay the taxes on the car which i havent found out an amount for yet, thank god my dad is going to help me some with that. Also they can take the car from me at any time to a show or something for up to 1 years time.

I havent driven it yet :( Actually the only time ive even sat in it yet was when i am listening to the radio in the show. They went down to the wire on the build and that end part was actually filmed at about midnight, after it was over everybody cleared out. I hope to get the car back in the next month HOPEFULLY.. they sent it to safety check. I cant wait.

L8r!! :)

Good info, i always thought the overhaulie' got to drive off into the sunset with the car right away. I guess its good that they do have it checked out though. We are all looking forward to your maiden voyage :P

When foose and chris were fighting what were you thinking? It looked like you were smiling, did you know at that point?

I watched it again on tape and paused during some of the shots. Looks like there was a LOT of custom fabrication to get FB quater panels and extensions to fit. In one shot, there was barely any metal left around the tail lights.