Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cramer

Wanted and For Trade: 1/4 panel extensions

excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between the two years?

Unfortunately yes...I did not realize it when I got the 69 pieces.

The 70 pieces are more squared along the bottom edge that is close to the taillight, from my understanding.

I did a trial fitting with the 69 pieces on the back of the 70 coupe and they were not shaped correctly to attach.

Hence the reason I am looking for different ones.

Thanks,

Marc

excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between the two years?

Unfortunately yes...I did not realize it when I got the 69 pieces.

The 70 pieces are more squared along the bottom edge that is close to the taillight, from my understanding.

I did a trial fitting with the 69 pieces on the back of the 70 coupe and they were not shaped correctly to attach.

Hence the reason I am looking for different ones.

Thanks,

Marc

Yeah I would imagine that since the 70' has a flat tail panel and the 69' has a curved one that it wouldn't even be close to fitting. I'm sure that is the only difference though so I bet that since the flat 70' panel protrudes out further than the 69' does in the center only that you can trim off that inner ear and make it sit flush and never notice the difference if you had no other choice that is. If you decide to give it a shot experiment with the driver side first that way if you screw it up I'll buy the passenger side from you and you can get some of your money back.:laugh:

Or if you are replacing the tail panel anyway and are not worried about concourse just install a 69' panel instead. Or even consider this time to do an upgrade if you modding the car in other ways. I heard Maier Racing is offering 10-15% off their fiberglass kits until the end of the year if you like the spoilered look?

2steveklevalarge.jpg

Instead of this custom piece I actually puchased the 69' Shelby unit from them which had a flat panel like your 70 does so I had to add all that extra ear material to make it fit my stock panel. Fiberglass is easy to modify though fortunately but if you like the Shelby look better than this one I bet it would mate right up to your 70' panel with no mods. They don't list that one on their site but if you contact them they will make it for the same price. Here's how that one looks on my car, basically the same as above but a little lower in height and it tapers to the fender less dramatically and has an indent in the back side so it breaks up the space a little more.

Picture_004.sized.jpg

Anyway, that's some other otpions for you if you get desperate.

Yeah I would imagine that since the 70' has a flat tail panel and the 69' has a curved one that it wouldn't even be close to fitting. I'm sure that is the only difference though so I bet that since the flat 70' panel protrudes out further than the 69' does in the center only that you can trim off that inner ear and make it sit flush and never notice the difference if you had no other choice that is. If you decide to give it a shot experiment with the driver side first that way if you screw it up I'll buy the passenger side from you and you can get some of your money back.:laugh:

Or if you are replacing the tail panel anyway and are not worried about concourse just install a 69' panel instead. Or even consider this time to do an upgrade if you modding the car in other ways. I heard Maier Racing is offering 10-15% off their fiberglass kits until the end of the year if you like the spoilered look?

2steveklevalarge.jpg

Instead of this custom piece I actually puchased the 69' Shelby unit from them which had a flat panel like your 70 does so I had to add all that extra ear material to make it fit my stock panel. Fiberglass is easy to modify though fortunately but if you like the Shelby look better than this one I bet it would mate right up to your 70' panel with no mods. They don't list that one on their site but if you contact them they will make it for the same price. Here's how that one looks on my car, basically the same as above but a little lower in height and it tapers to the fender less dramatically and has an indent in the back side so it breaks up the space a little more.

Picture_004.sized.jpg

Anyway, that's some other otpions for you if you get desperate.

there is anotehr difference as well. the 69 coupes had a body style line that ran from the back of the wheelwell to the rear bumper, the 70 coupes did not have that style line. but for some reason the 70 verts did. no idea what Ford was smoking when they came up with that but that' the way it is.

there is anotehr difference as well. the 69 coupes had a body style line that ran from the back of the wheelwell to the rear bumper, the 70 coupes did not have that style line. but for some reason the 70 verts did. no idea what Ford was smoking when they came up with that but that' the way it is.

Wow, I never noticed that, that is weird. So I guess then you can't adapt the quarter extension even if you trim the ear. I guess you would also have to use a 69 qtr. skin to replace a panel on a 70 vert and mod the marker light hole and fill in the grill dent.

Wow, I never noticed that, that is weird. So I guess then you can't adapt the quarter extension even if you trim the ear. I guess you would also have to use a 69 qtr. skin to replace a panel on a 70 vert and mod the marker light hole and fill in the grill dent.