Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Harmonic Balancer question

I finally got around to re-installing my timing cover today and then of course the Harmonic Dampner (yes, with the proper rental tool) and I am wondering, how do you know when it is fully seated? I tightened it as much as I could to the point where the darn engine starts to crank over so it would appear it is seated but the end of it is not quite flush with the shaft so I have to question it.

Also, I don't know if it was designed for one or more styles but the gasket for my timing cover seems to have an awful lot of extra meat around some spots and even gasket area for some parts that don't have two mating surfaces so I assume it's OK to just trim off that excess after it all cures because it kinda look like butt.

I finally got around to re-installing my timing cover today and then of course the Harmonic Dampner (yes, with the proper rental tool) and I am wondering, how do you know when it is fully seated? I tightened it as much as I could to the point where the darn engine starts to crank over so it would appear it is seated but the end of it is not quite flush with the shaft so I have to question it.

Also, I don't know if it was designed for one or more styles but the gasket for my timing cover seems to have an awful lot of extra meat around some spots and even gasket area for some parts that don't have two mating surfaces so I assume it's OK to just trim off that excess after it all cures because it kinda look like butt.

What was the torque set at on the bolt?

should be around 80 lbs i think.

i think that's about right. you can give it a good whack or two with a dead blow hammer now that you have it at least mostly seated, just don't beat the crap out of it.

TIP: i always stick a big screwdriver through the balancer and under one corner of the oil pan/timing cover to keep the engine from turning over while i tighten the bolt

What was the torque set at on the bolt?

should be around 80 lbs i think.

i think that's about right. you can give it a good whack or two with a dead blow hammer now that you have it at least mostly seated, just don't beat the crap out of it.

TIP: i always stick a big screwdriver through the balancer and under one corner of the oil pan/timing cover to keep the engine from turning over while i tighten the bolt

I thought I should only be setting the foot lb's for the retaining bolt? I did not use the torque wrench on the installer tool just a ratchet and I have not installed the retaining bolt back yet incase I needed to try to install it more. So are you saying that it doesn't matter if it is completely flush with the shaft as long as I have the bolt torqued properly? Or will torqueing it properly and useing the screwdriver tip push it in a little more if it needs to be? As it is it seems that I have less than an 1/8" or so between it and the block so I can't imagine it going in much further.

BTW, did a stupid thing too, when I was putting the new O ring on the distributor and cleaning that area I accidently rubbed off my markers to line up where my timing was set (permanent ink my ass). I don't believe I installed the dizzy incorrectly because I remember where certain parts of it were in relation to other parts of the engine so I am hoping worse case that I am only off a few degrees but I won't really know until it's time to fire it up I guess.

I thought I should only be setting the foot lb's for the retaining bolt? I did not use the torque wrench on the installer tool just a ratchet and I have not installed the retaining bolt back yet incase I needed to try to install it more. So are you saying that it doesn't matter if it is completely flush with the shaft as long as I have the bolt torqued properly? Or will torqueing it properly and useing the screwdriver tip push it in a little more if it needs to be? As it is it seems that I have less than an 1/8" or so between it and the block so I can't imagine it going in much further.

BTW, did a stupid thing too, when I was putting the new O ring on the distributor and cleaning that area I accidently rubbed off my markers to line up where my timing was set (permanent ink my ass). I don't believe I installed the dizzy incorrectly because I remember where certain parts of it were in relation to other parts of the engine so I am hoping worse case that I am only off a few degrees but I won't really know until it's time to fire it up I guess.

easy fix. make sure the engine is at TDC and stab the dizzy so that the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the cap and the nipple on the vaccum advance canister is pointed pretty much straight forward, that should get you in the ball park

easy fix. make sure the engine is at TDC and stab the dizzy so that the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the cap and the nipple on the vaccum advance canister is pointed pretty much straight forward, that should get you in the ball park

Yeah I did have the timing gears lined up a TDC before I put the cover back on and made sure the rotor was at number one. It's a mechanical dizzy though so negatory on the vaccum advance their amigo.

Yeah I did have the timing gears lined up a TDC before I put the cover back on and made sure the rotor was at number one. It's a mechanical dizzy though so negatory on the vaccum advance their amigo.