Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

02EBZ06

How about some BEFORE and AFTER shots?

I would love to see before an after shots of your cars. Thanks...

BEFORE on the LEFT 1980 something - AFTER on the RIGHT 2006

Lol.. sorry, couldn't resist that :-) - Now someone with real before/afters please.

Edit: Forgot to say welcome the forum!

69grandecj,

I should have asked you this at the M+ carshow, but where on earth did you find a 69 Grande CJ 428????

I believe you have to sell your soul to get one... :devil2:

69grandecj,

I should have asked you this at the M+ carshow, but where on earth did you find a 69 Grande CJ 428????

I found it on a consignment used car in Hayward, CA back in 1997. Now it wasn't a classic car consignment. Just a lot of 5-10 year old used cars. It was parked in the front of the lot on busy Mission Blvd, but no one paid much attention to it. I first found it in Aug. '96. My brother and I stopped because he wanted to see a 5.0 they had on the lot. I didn't even see the Grande at first. When I did I strolled over and like I always do checked the Vin #. "Q" Holy s&%*! Popped the hood and there it was. Totally complete (photo does show snorkel and fan shroud but they were there when I bought it). After having a friend look it over struck a deal for $3900 out the door.

Went back a couple of days later to bring the money and the owner backed out of the deal. Supposedly someone offered more money for it. Rather than getting in a bidding war I walked away.

Then in March '97 my brother called and said he saw the car again on the same lot. Went there a couple of days later and sure enough it was it. Ran a little rougher than it did back in Aug but who cared since it was going to be restored. Made an offer of $3700. They said they couldn't get a hold of the owner but would call me once they did. They called me back a few hours later and said the owner wanted more money. He wanted $3900 with the stereo (junk system from what I remember) or $3700 without. Without! Gave a credit card # for a deposit and picked it up a few days later.

The lot had no clue what it was because the sign on the window said nothing about a 428. Not sure if the owner did but supposedly his father was the original owner.

Now at one time I worked for an insurance company so I ran the plate right after I bought. Because of privacy laws I was able to get his name but not his address. I did a zaba search recently and I think I found his address? How should I go about contacting him? Should I send a postcard without a return address asking him to call me about the history of the car?

The lot had no clue what it was because the sign on the window said nothing about a 428. Not sure if the owner did but supposedly his father was the original owner.

Now at one time I worked for an insurance company so I ran the plate right after I bought. Because of privacy laws I was able to get his name but not his address. I did a zaba search recently and I think I found his address? How should I go about contacting him? Should I send a postcard without a return address asking him to call me about the history of the car?

Right! You do not, under any circumstances, want to let this guy know who you are and where you live. I'm not saying the original owner is like that. I'm just saying you definitely have to protect "you" and your investments. People get crazy over past possesions. That's the same reason, why my 3 car garage stays full. With the addition of the stang my truck has to stay outside, but I'd rather loose that than anything else!

I would be interesting to get the story behind your car. I don't think people understand how rare that car really is.:clover: Definitely a lucky find!