Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

muhtalicbloo

Suspension help for a Coupe

Okay guys...haven't been here in awhile...and I apologize cuz it's a good group of ppl around this neck of the woods :biggrin:

Any ways I wanna drop the stang a lil bit b/c the stance isn't that great right now and I think it'll help make my car look more complete. Was looking to go w/ about a 1" - 1.25" drop in front, 1.5" drop in rear hopefully.

Some things you should probably know to help this along would be that the front wheels are 17X7 American Racing TT II's and the rears are 8" wide. (245 meats all around) Although I wouldn't mind going w/ a wider tire in back also. 8" rear end. Small block. Disc brakes. TCP Rack and Pinion. <<<The R&P is another reason I wanna do the suspension now b/c the R&P made this car drive so much better and I can only imagine what a tuned up suspension will do.

Looking to spend under a $1,000.

I would be willing to do more of a drop if you guys think so based on my pics but keep in mind that my fender lips are not rolled.

I was thinkin KYB or Billstein shocks, 620 coils, upper/lower control arms, poly bushings, new sway bar up front.

In rear 4.5 or 5 leafs to give a 1.5" drop, rear sway, and new shocks (I currently have air shocks in the back)

Also you'll see in the pix that my rear wheels sit in a bit and I wouldn't mind bringing them out some w/out having to buy all new wheels and correct offset so if ya can I'd appreciate if ya'll could recommend me some good wheel spacers (that are safe).

So gimme your lists and name a price please! Thanks guys...oh and here's the pics!

Sorry for how old these pix are

n30404315_30020467_3538.jpg

n30404315_30020521_5359.jpg

n30404315_30020493_3298.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

first of all changing your rear tires is going to effect the way the car sits, so iw ould plan on doing that before you do a whole lot more to the rear suspension. check out the street bandit kit from like NPD or something or check Mustang Depot they some really nice kits and lot's of upgrade options as well. one thing i would highly recommed is a set of opentracker roller spring perches.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/index.html

i would actually recommend all of his products but your $1K budget won't allow that.

Mustang Depot also sells his roller perches too.

www.mustangdepot.com

I got my roller perches through Mustangs Unlimited, but can't tell you how they perform as my engine hasn't been running since, lol.

I did go the 5-leaf Grab-A-Trak reverse-eye mated with KYB GR2s in the rear, and I loved it...it really tightened the car right up. To qualify that, I also added the Comp Engineering subframes at the time, so I don't know how much to contribute to each for the increased response. The ride of the stiff-spring-soft-shock felt wonderful, though. (Although, I guess "ride comfort" is a subjective term).

It sure looks like there's gonna be enough room to stuff 17x8 with 245s back there, which is what I am eventually planning on doing myself.

On the front, I did the opposite and went with 620# 1-inch drop springs with Gas-A-Justs, and really liked that feel too...but I'm hauling around an FE 390, so my front end weight is different than yours.

Sorry I didn't include any prices, but I bought mine all over, including my local Classic Mustang shop (which is NOT a very cheap place, but I patronize it anyway since it's very cool to have a local place)...and the rear springs I paid waaaaay too much for just because I happened to have a day off and the local shop just happened to have one pair of them in stock.

i pieced my suspension together mostly from Ebay. some parts i had installed a long time ago like my 750# front springs, some stuff came from my local parts store, some came from the local mustang shop, the rear springs came from American pony. all in all i didn't really save enough money to warrant doing it over again like that but it did come out cheaper than buying al the parts individually from the big suppliers. if i had bought a kit from the start i probably didn't save much money at all but i was able to get all the parts without my wife freaking out about spending so much money all at one time.

thanks guys...i've look at the kits before....probably will get one this december...just trying to figure out what to go with. I definately want the front to sit a bit lower than the rear and would like to widen the rear meats out a bit b/c right now they are 245/45/17 and i'm hopin to put around a 275 or so. my buddy has 285 DR's on his rear 8" wheels and they bulge quite a bit...but then again..they're DR's

as you can see in one of the pics my 17X8's sit inside the wheel well quite a bit...will look for more pix to better show this

if i go w/ 275's....think i will have rubbing issues if i do a drop?

also should i go w/ lowering blocks or mid eye leafs for a 1" to 1.5" drop

i wanna do 620lb coils in front for a 1" front drop.

will be looking for some pics of some stangs to show the stance i would like.

i do like a lil bit of a rake but not much....really don't wanna roll the lips but will do if i have to...just scared about cracking the paint.

also what size wheel adapter and which brand should i go w/ for the rear to get a somewhat flush looking wheel to fender look?

i believe my backspacing is 4" b/c i've seen 4.5" wheel spacing and they pretty much sit flush w/ the fender.

ETA: here are some pics of the stance i would like along w/ how i would like the rears to sit w/ the fender

Picture_011.sized.jpg

dogdestang below i know has 4.75" BS w/ 255/40/17 and this is exactly how i want mine to sit

newtires3.jpg

newtires4.jpg

to get the stance you want you probably need to lower the front about 1"-1.5" and the rear at least 2". lowering block will be fine for the rear but don't go more than 2" with blocks. any more than that and you really need to get new rear springs.

i think you'll be fine with the 275's on the back of your car, i have 275/50-15's on my car and i don't have quite as much backspacing as you so is doubt you'll even need to roll the lips but you shouls probably have one fitted up before you buy just to make sure.

looks like it's comin along good!....any idea for a set goal of when to be completed?

sometime before i die!!!!! LOL hopefully i'll have it done in the next couple months. it has to back to the paint shop before long to get some touchup work done though, and knowing them they'll have it for another 6 months :bored: