Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Coupe

Camaro

According to Hemming's Muscle Machines magazine (Nov. '06), the thing will be built at the Oshawa, Ontario plant in late 2008. Just what we need...another ugly pos pretending to be a real car.

Brand loyalties aside, competition is a great thing. It drives down prices, puts out more options and allows for cars with more POWER!!!

I love late 60's cars, but frankly the era would have never happened had it not been for the big dogs dukin it out.

yup competition is definitely good, for one thing Ford's bringing back the Bullitt Mustang for 2008, also supposedly theres gonna be changes to the base Mustang for either the 2008 or 09 model year.

what i think is funny is how the GM guys are all excited about the Camaro concept, when the production version is almost certainly gonna look a lot different, and nobody knows what its going to look like yet. my guess is it will be watered down and even uglier than the concept.

i read in a magazine somewhere, and i agree with the guy. he said about how all the camaro and chevy guys are getting all excited about the new Camaro, but in reality, the camaro was first created to compete witht he Mustang. and now that Ford redisgned the Mustang, Chevy had to scramble once again and try to create a Camaro AGAIN, to try and compete with the Mustang.

the new camaro is just plain BUTT FUGLY!!!!!!!!!!! the new challenger on the other hand is freaking awesome!!! i love that car. i think one of my best friends is going to get one when the SRT version comes out. hopefully i can talk him into letting me drive it

the new camaro is just plain BUTT FUGLY!!!!!!!!!!! the new challenger on the other hand is freaking awesome!!! i love that car. i think one of my best friends is going to get one when the SRT version comes out. hopefully i can talk him into letting me drive it

I Agree, i would not mind at all about owning a new Challenger.

ILL ADMIT IT HERE AND NOW, id rather own a Mopar than own a chebbie. i know most people are ford chevy dodge or chevy ford dodge, BUT DODGE HAD A LOT BETTER LOOKIN CARS THEN CHEBBIE!!

Here's the thing GM is in the red and this will not save them. I read that GM has to sell 100,000 a year for five years to break even for R&D and production. This is a lose lose situation for them. And once again GM shows up to the party late and with out a date!!!!

Here's my outlook...

GM is only going to be able to make money if they can compete with the mustang or hit a different market all together. With that concept car, they are NOT going to be able to compete with the mustang unless the price point is as good or cheaper than the mustang (read no way in hell). They will either need to target an even higher performance market which means competeing with the Corvette which they won't do unless they discontinue the corvette all together. Or they will target a slightly lower performance market with a car that gains points on purchase price and fuel efficiency/practicality. Either way it won't be direct competition for the mustang.

My pediction is that 1 of 3 things will happen:

1) GM upgrades the Corvette to "Viper Competition" and the new camaro replaces some of the lower end market space currently held by the Corvette and Mustang Cobra.

2) GM drops the Corvette completely and replaces with Camaro.

3) The new camaro will not come with a V8 engine option. (but perhaps a supercharged 6?). It'll sell as a "economical sports car".

Here's my outlook...

GM is only going to be able to make money if they can compete with the mustang or hit a different market all together. With that concept car, they are NOT going to be able to compete with the mustang unless the price point is as good or cheaper than the mustang (read no way in hell). They will either need to target an even higher performance market which means competeing with the Corvette which they won't do unless they discontinue the corvette all together. Or they will target a slightly lower performance market with a car that gains points on purchase price and fuel efficiency/practicality. Either way it won't be direct competition for the mustang.

My pediction is that 1 of 3 things will happen:

1) GM upgrades the Corvette to "Viper Competition" and the new camaro replaces some of the lower end market space currently held by the Corvette and Mustang Cobra.

2) GM drops the Corvette completely and replaces with Camaro.

3) The new camaro will not come with a V8 engine option. (but perhaps a supercharged 6?). It'll sell as a "economical sports car".

actually the LSx engines get very good mileage. actually the LSx engines are technologically superior to the Ford mod motors even the mods are OHC motors and the LSx engines are pushrod motors. personally i wish ford would go back to a pushrod engine with larger displacement but i'm sure that's just a wet dream.

actually the LSx engines get very good mileage. actually the LSx engines are technologically superior to the Ford mod motors even the mods are OHC motors and the LSx engines are pushrod motors. personally i wish ford would go back to a pushrod engine with larger displacement but i'm sure that's just a wet dream.

The LSx engines may get decent fuel economy and be technologicaly superior, but it's a damn expensive engine to produce and maintain.

An economical car is more than just fuel economy. Purchase price is a huge factor along with general maintenance, etc. It's my opinion that the biggest reason that mustang is still being produced while the camaro is gone is because the mustang has almost always been the cheaper car. A similarly equiped mustang could be purchased for $2000-$5000 less.

The LSx engines may get decent fuel economy and be technologicaly superior, but it's a damn expensive engine to produce and maintain.

An economical car is more than just fuel economy. Purchase price is a huge factor along with general maintenance, etc. It's my opinion that the biggest reason that mustang is still being produced while the camaro is gone is because the mustang has almost always been the cheaper car. A similarly equiped mustang could be purchased for $2000-$5000 less.

no doubt about, i agree with all points 100%. it's just kind of embarassing to drive a late model stang that can easily get trounced by a camaro of similar year assuming both cars are box stock anyway.

another thing is that the LSx engines can be fairly easily retrofitted to earlier cars a lot like the 5.0 HO engines can, unfortunately the mod motors aren't an easy swap. my dream truck is a 70 el camino with a 69 ranchero bringing up a very close 2nd either would get a later model fuelie engine swap but the el camino would have a better advantage as far as displacement goes since you can all the way up to a 7.0 liter engine bone stock and the best stock late model small block performance engine from ford would be the 5.0 HO, sure i could do a 5.8 out of a lightning but those are hard to come by and expensive as hell.

i'm not converting to a chevy guy on y'all so don't worry, the only chevies i would ever own would be the afore mentioned elkie or a 70-73 camaro, i ONLY like the early 2nd gen camaros and would never dream of ever owning any other camaro ever!!!! but even that would probably be too much, i don't plan on ever buying even one of those so don't freak out on me. maybe an elkie some day but that's it

Truth be told, I'd buy the new Challenger in a heartbeat. Styling, styling, styling, and it comes with a Hemi, course I'd wait for about the third production year just to make sure they got all the bugs worked out and then they will hopefully upgrade to the big Hemi. Only negative about the new mustangs is they are just to heavy. We bought an 05 GT and its great to drive, but after driving the 06 C6 vettes (yes I know they cost alot more) there was no comparison in handling and performance. Same is gonna be true with the new V8 Shelby, 500 hp, but 4000 lbs, Ford needs to go on a diet. Of course the only vette that I would be willing to buy other then mayyyyybbbeeee the Z06 would be a 63 spit tail, other than that I can't think of any chev that really turns my crank.

Guys, those LSx motors are some serious business.

I worked at an LSx specific shop of a friend's this past summer. I've driven everything from stone stock 98 T/A's and Camaro's to his personal shop car 408 LS1 with a Powerglide that goes 9.17 on a single stage nitrous system....

They are simply amazing. Honestly for a newer car they simply blow away the competition. I've driven the newer GTO's with the LS2 and they are amazing except they have IRS (Great for everything else, but in a straight line it sucks).

I too will be looking into a new Challenger. They come out the same year I graduate. If I get a decent job offer, I'll have the first Hemi optioned model. I'll probably get a 2010 though. It depends on if the GT500 is still around and what the pricing is on them. I like both cars.