Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheo69GT

Non '69, but could use some help

I own 4 Mustangs, Before anyone flames me for this one, I bought the car as is, love the car, will not sell it! It's a 1984 SVO, modified to a 93 5.0L, Vortech SC motor. Car blew a head gasket, it had a valve job before I got it, most likely an inferior job IMHO. Anyway, I need to know the best head gaskets out there for a SC 5.0L motor, I'm doing the work myself. I know, lots of stuff to take out, but I'll do it. I will take the heads to the machine shop to make sure everything is still straight.

Car has a completely new leather interior, great plush leather, new carpet, and an 1100W sound system, profesional job, with a JVC satellite/MP3 ready deck. The red wires by the battery power the sound system, good for about 20 minutes of sound before you have to start up the engine.

Extreme Motorports suspension, 1 inch lowered. 3" dual exhaust, of course, factory 4 disc brakes.

BTW, blew that head gasket at the track ;), Oh well, SH, LOL, hope to have it out there soon :). I'm hoping for "good" gaskets this time, want to do this once only :).

A couple of pics of it.

I blew a head gasket in my last car, 331 with a 14# procharger and got the o ringed gaskets and never had the problem again. Just remember, your gasket is kinda like a fuse. If it doesnt blow its gonna do more dammage somewhere(read more expensive) else. Can you tell me more about the motor and Supercharger setup? When was the last time the car was dyno tuned?

BTW, that car didn't come from Texas at some point did it? there used to be a guy down in Austin that had a shop specializing in hot rodded Fords, especially mustangs, that built a car identical to that one. the guys shop was called Bill Reid Automotive and i swear that is absolutely identical to his car.

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like O-ring gaskets it is. bnickel, the car was built in California, unfortunately, the shop that built sold the business and the current owners threw out all the old stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like O-ring gaskets it is. bnickel, the car was built in California, unfortunately, the shop that built sold the business and the current owners threw out all the old stuff.

yeah it would be nice to still have the turbo 2.3 but if it's gone it's gone. that car just looks so much like the one i knew of in Austin. i mean they could literally be identical twins. i guess i just didn't think swapping a supercharged 5.0 in place of the turbo 4 was all that common.

This is the only one I know of, and I've searched thru the net for info on it and haven't come up with anything yet. I would think most everyone would shy away from that kind of engine transplant.

This is the only one I know of, and I've searched thru the net for info on it and haven't come up with anything yet. I would think most everyone would shy away from that kind of engine transplant.

exactly what i mean. there aren't many of them that's for sure.

The 2.3 turbo made the same power as the 5.0 stock, the engine swap makes sense for power over 300 rwhp. Also, a 302 swap in a fox platform would be cake. The thing is you need to find out is why you blew the head gasket. Otherwise your next post could very well be about a detonated piston. This is where a dyno tune is really important. The computer will show the fuel curve and record what is going on in the engine.

The 2.3 turbo made the same power as the 5.0 stock, the engine swap makes sense for power over 300 rwhp. Also, a 302 swap in a fox platform would be cake. The thing is you need to find out is why you blew the head gasket. Otherwise your next post could very well be about a detonated piston. This is where a dyno tune is really important. The computer will show the fuel curve and record what is going on in the engine.

Thanks for the info, will definately keep that in mind.

That car was so far ahead of it's time. Here's what was new from SVO Team. Five lug disk breaks on all four corners, 16" wheels, Koni adjustable front shocks, quadra shock rear end. What a chassis!!! The four helped it out handle the rest, but under powered for today I love the twin wing.

Yeah, the SVO's are my second fav Stang behind the 69/70. I have my eye on one rotting away around here and have wanted one for a long time. Blown head gaskets are the most common failure that takes the car down. Plus there were only just under 15,000 made so they WILL increase in value in the near future if they are originals.

-Stephen

They are great cars, even by today's standard. Well fixed these cars still handle as well as any. The turbo lag is the only thing I dislike about them, but you get used to it, the car is truly a dog without that turbo, but it is a lot of fun when it kicks :).

when i had my little 4 banger 78 mustang II i always wanted to swap in an SVO turbo motor, i think that would have made for an awesome little car.

Wasn't there a 79 Turbo motor? Maybe I'm wrong, I thought some Pace Cars had them. Anyway, the modified one is a toy that if I destroy at the track is not a "big" loss, can always get another 5.0L motor for it. The 86 I plan to restore to original for the most part, may upgrade the Turbo, intercooler, etc, but still be the 2.3T.

Here's an interesting video of a couple of SVOs at the track, the first car didn't do too well. The second car did IMO very well, owner found out later on that it was firing on only 3 cylinders and only got 7 pounds of boost, that's what his website says, stock SVOs will do 15-18psi. Still ran 13.7, not too bad!

http://forced4.com/23tvids/FFW04/matt2step2.avi

Wasn't there a 79 Turbo motor? Maybe I'm wrong, I thought some Pace Cars had them. Anyway, the modified one is a toy that if I destroy at the track is not a "big" loss, can always get another 5.0L motor for it. The 86 I plan to restore to original for the most part, may upgrade the Turbo, intercooler, etc, but still be the 2.3T.

Here's an interesting video of a couple of SVOs at the track, the first car didn't do too well. The second car did IMO very well, owner found out later on that it was firing on only 3 cylinders and only got 7 pounds of boost, that's what his website says, stock SVOs will do 15-18psi. Still ran 13.7, not too bad!

http://forced4.com/23tvids/FFW04/matt2step2.avi

yeah there was a 2.3T in 79 but it was a blow through carb style. the 84.5 anniversary edition GT 350's got a 2.3T and they were the same style as the 79. 78 was the last year for the II body style and 79 was the first year of the fox body. i actually like the II better than the early fox cars until the 83's came out with the different nose.

Hey Cheo, just wanted to say I think you made a wise move asking here. I remember not too long ago in MM they were talking about good cars to pick up for moddifying and transplants and one of the ones they mentioned was to find a clapped out SVO. Well next month needless to say the were many jeer letters written by SVO owners who were appauled by the idea. I think that crowd is more diehard about protecting them than the classics guys are about making Eleanors out of all the 67' fastbacks, lol.

Yes they did make a Turbo 4 in the Pace Car and the Cobra Mustang in 1979 at a whooping 132HP. But that engine was not modified like the 84-86 175 hp-200HP.

LOL, forgot about the Cobra 79, did like Jill's Cobra II in Charlie's Angels, if I remember right it was white with blue stripes, I most likely remember that because I wanted to watch her, and the car was in a few scenes, LOL.

yeah there was a 2.3T in 79 but it was a blow through carb style. the 84.5 anniversary edition GT 350's got a 2.3T and they were the same style as the 79. 78 was the last year for the II body style and 79 was the first year of the fox body. i actually like the II better than the early fox cars until the 83's came out with the different nose.

Wow, didn't know those GT 350 84's were 2.3L. Agree with the 83's, my first was a 83 GLX. Whatever happened to all those models? GLX, GL, GT, LX, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Hey Cheo, just wanted to say I think you made a wise move asking here. I remember not too long ago in MM they were talking about good cars to pick up for moddifying and transplants and one of the ones they mentioned was to find a clapped out SVO. Well next month needless to say the were many jeer letters written by SVO owners who were appauled by the idea. I think that crowd is more diehard about protecting them than the classics guys are about making Eleanors out of all the 67' fastbacks, lol.

LOL, I think I know where most of those letters came from. I've met one of the SVO technical judges, at least that's what they call themselves. Didn't ask any questions of me (the owner) but yet, had a lot to say about my car in their website. I pretty much told them to kiss my ass, true Mustang owners respect each other, and appreciate each other's cars for what it is. They failed to do that, I even asked one of the main Mustang magazine editors about it, btw, he's "banned" and put on the "Wall of Shame", LOL, he said they're not an organization they would use for research, and asked me if I could put an SVO something together for him, frankly I can't, all I have is my two, and don't know any other owners, and I'm sure that's not enough.

It's really a shame they're such asses, they are very knowledgeable people, and could help the hobby more if they didn't think the SVO is the greatest Mustang ever built. Yeah, it's a pretty good car, but as most of us know, it's not great.

Ok, I'm off the soap box..