Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Cast your vote on these finned air cleaner covers

Which one do you like best?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like best?

• Canton
    • Edelbrock
    • Cobra Valley
    • Rod Worx
    • K&N Extreme
    • K&N High Flow
    • Screw them all check this shit out.

Has anyone ever seen this design with Cobra? I didn't post it as an option because all I ever see is Mustang or Ford in the center. This would actually be perfect if I could just find it in Cobra, or even plain for that matter I guess.

M9600M302.jpg

Are you sure bud? I don't mind changing to the PBF ones for the cost of shipping and a future favor owed but I did give up my squatters right already and fair is fair.

About the job, yeah I didn't really make an announcement or anything but the day it happened I had to email folks in my work email addresses so they didn't contact me that way anymore and one of the folks was Chepsk8. He blew the whistle in the reunion thread on Stangnet and I figured folks like you might have seen it already.

Anyway, the story goes like this in a nutshell. They did about 1.5 billion last year (up from 900 million when they went public and I joined over 4 years ago) and this year sales are down, projected at only 1.3 billion the poor bastards:closedeyes: so they just did a big corporate restructuring prior to mid year reviews and I was one of 8 that got cut in my department, we were all in the same salary range. I'm not hurting or anything, I got a pretty nice severance package and with added 4 weeks unused vacation pay I can sail thru to the end of the year pretty much. The tough part is there is really no other companies in my industry where I live (which I love my area) so my best job opportunities to stay in New England are all south of Boston and I really don't want to move or commute 2+ hours to work each way. I know something will turn up it's just a matter of when and where. My hope is that I find something within a month or so and if that happens then I'll be collecting two checks for a while and turn this frown upside down. If not then heck, I have been paying into unemployment for 22 years so it's about time I get some back and now I have the much needed Stang time Ive been wanting. The glass is always half full in my eyes.

yeah Pak, that's cool, Cheo actually offered them to you anyway. sorry about the job that really sucks, i know what it's like believe me.

Has anyone ever seen this design with Cobra? I didn't post it as an option because all I ever see is Mustang or Ford in the center. This would actually be perfect if I could just find it in Cobra, or even plain for that matter I guess.

M9600M302.jpg

i don't think i've ever seen one with the cobra logo. and just so you know these are only 13" not 14" which is actually the size of the stock air filter but the 14" ones actually fit and look better IMO.

You guys work it out. No cost from my end, just happy to help, I know it's unusuall, to give a freebe. Best of luck to you Pak, Let me know either way.

I'll find that PM eventually! Thanks!

Cheo.

Cheo, Pak will take the valve covers and if you want to PM him just click his username and it should give you the option right there in the drop down. oh yeah and thanks for the freebie offer, that really is very nice of you. not many people around who will do that anymore. i've gotten a freebie on the VMF once before, actually just a few months back. got a set of 4 GT wheels for my car. bare wheels no caps or anything and som slight pitting from rust damage but i can work with them. so it really only seems fair to me that Pak gets this freebie. you are a generous man.

Cheo, Pak will take the valve covers and if you want to PM him just click his username and it should give you the option right there in the drop down. oh yeah and thanks for the freebie offer, that really is very nice of you. not many people around who will do that anymore. i've gotten a freebie on the VMF once before, actually just a few months back. got a set of 4 GT wheels for my car. bare wheels no caps or anything and som slight pitting from rust damage but i can work with them. so it really only seems fair to me that Pak gets this freebie. you are a generous man.

actually, just shoot me an email bnickel4@cox.net and i'll pay the shipping for him too. trying to butter him up so he'll get that repro hood tach and send me his old sunpro one. hehehe

i don't think i've ever seen one with the cobra logo. and just so you know these are only 13" not 14" which is actually the size of the stock air filter but the 14" ones actually fit and look better IMO.

Yeah me neither. And I agree on the 14" looking better, thing is I just discovered today that my exisiting K&N air filter I bought a few years ago for the stock air cleaner is 13" so I thought if I could find this in Cobra then I wouldn't have to replace that too. The bright side I guess though is that the 14" K&N's I have been looking at seem to come in a variety of heights from 3" to 6" so as long as the hole in my hood is wide enough I guess I can get a taller one and have it peak up and in a little, or is that not wise? I assume no issues with putting a 14" filter into the stock base?

PS. See any stud nuts you like?

actually, just shoot me an email bnickel4@cox.net and i'll pay the shipping for him too. trying to butter him up so he'll get that repro hood tach and send me his old sunpro one. hehehe

Don't be silly, I have almost 13k left in my Mustang budget and nothing left to pay the shop for except the paint so I can pay the shipping myself. Just for all the advice over the years and the kind offer though, if I get the hood tach (waiting for several email replies I just sent out) then it's yours and you can pay the shipping on that. That's Kharma baby, what comes around goes around. Well, unless of course that ends up being the favor Cheo wants. Or maybe he'll want my 13" K&N filter?

BTW, did you see Ben voted against us, he likes the Rod Worx one better. It would look great painted Disco red.:001_tt2:

Yeah me neither. And I agree on the 14" looking better, thing is I just discovered today that my exisiting K&N air filter I bought a few years ago for the stock air cleaner is 13" so I thought if I could find this in Cobra then I wouldn't have to replace that too. The bright side I guess though is that the 14" K&N's I have been looking at seem to come in a variety of heights from 3" to 6" so as long as the hole in my hood is wide enough I guess I can get a taller one and have it peak up and in a little, or is that not wise? I assume no issues with putting a 14" filter into the stock base?

PS. See any stud nuts you like?

yeah the 14" fits fine. i have a 3" tall 14" filter in my car. the filter poking up a bit actually puts it into air stream a little better. some people have reservations about getting water in the engine when it rains or when you wash the car but i've never had an issues with it and my car has been like that for about 20 years. the only thing is that the base will get full of water when you wash the car so you have to dry it out with a towel or something. i found out the original shelby bases had drain holes drilled in the bottom to keep water from collecting there so the last time i painted the base i went ahead and did the same. first i drilled four 1/8" holes in the base and then used a punch to open them up some more and make it look more like it was factory punched instead of drilled. i haven't even washed the car since then though so i can't tell you how well it works. the car has been sitting with the cover on it since it came back from the paint shop which is why it hasn't been washed.

PS, i don't look at the nuts of studs but as far as air cleaner wingnuts go i kind of like the smaller tri bar one. the one i use on my car is a chrome wingnut from a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine. it's pretty cool and nice and clean looking.

Don't be silly, I have almost 13k left in my Mustang budget and nothing left to pay the shop for except the paint so I can pay the shipping myself. Just for all the advice over the years and the kind offer though, if I get the hood tach (waiting for several email replies I just sent out) then it's yours and you can pay the shipping on that. That's Kharma baby, what comes around goes around. Well, unless of course that ends up being the favor Cheo wants. Or maybe he'll want my 13" K&N filter?

BTW, did you see Ben voted against us, he likes the Rod Worx one better. It would look great painted Disco red.:001_tt2:

wow, 13k left still? that's a lot more than i have but then my car is pretty well done as far as parts go just a few little minor things left and a lot of assembly left. i did see that Ben liked the rod worx better but like i said that was a very close second pick for me. it would look good in disco red though wouldn't it?

PS, i don't look at the nuts of studs but as far as air cleaner wingnuts go i kind of like the smaller tri bar one. the one i use on my car is a chrome wingnut from a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine. it's pretty cool and nice and clean looking.

Yeah I saw that pic, you're right it does look good. And I forgot that you don't look at the nuts of studs, you just need to trim them.

wow, 13k left still? that's a lot more than i have but then my car is pretty well done as far as parts go just a few little minor things left and a lot of assembly left. i did see that Ben liked the rod worx better but like i said that was a very close second pick for me. it would look good in disco red though wouldn't it?

Well don't forget I started with 35k when all was said and done. That still has to cover paint, the engine accessories, new rims and tires, custom seat covers for my Fiero seats and to put the new convertible top on if I decide I shouldn't tackle it myself. I'm gonna be cutting it real close. Eeesh, I still can't believe the cash I'm spending on this thing but I keep telling myself it's not really my money and worth the occasional sore back.

Well don't forget I started with 35k when all was said and done. That still has to cover paint, the engine accessories, new rims and tires, custom seat covers for my Fiero seats and to put the new convertible top on if I decide I shouldn't tackle it myself. I'm gonna be cutting it real close. Eeesh, I still can't believe the cash I'm spending on this thing but I keep telling myself it's not really my money and worth the occasional sore back.

i should tell my wife how much you're spending...maybe she won't gripe so much that i've only spent 15k so far.

i should tell my wife how much you're spending...maybe she won't gripe so much that i've only spent 15k so far.

You can try but you may have to fudge a bit as only 5k was out of my pocket plus the 10k I originally paid for the car.

You can try but you may have to fudge a bit as only 5k was out of my pocket plus the 10k I originally paid for the car.

yeah but this has been over the last 9 years, so it's a little over 1500 a year. in fact i think it's probably closer to 10k than 15k, somewhere in between.

Yo B, quick question. I was just looking at your engine bay again since it's not all the different than what I'm planning and I'm curious, when opening it up to the hood, any benefit to leaving the snorkel on the base? I was thinking of deleting mine and using either a block plate or a screen like on the side scoops so I can finally fit a monte carlo bar in there.

Yo B, quick question. I was just looking at your engine bay again since it's not all the different than what I'm planning and I'm curious, when opening it up to the hood, any benefit to leaving the snorkel on the base? I was thinking of deleting mine and using either a block plate or a screen like on the side scoops so I can finally fit a monte carlo bar in there.

no not really, i just left it there to make it look more stock. i have a hose and a little connector that goes on the the header for it, i just haven't taken it down to have it welded on yet.

I have also noticed that many correctly restored cars seem to have an extra round part that runs down form the snorkel. I never did undertsand the whole flapper assembly inside, seems totally useless to me. If it looks ugly I can always put it back, we'll just have to see. I can understand the point of trying to catch air away from the engine heat but it seems so much more restrictive than opening up at the top.

i'm guessin that either the pic is of a prototype part or there is a threaded boss cast into the bottom of it, if so that would be really cool, nice and clean

Well I heard from Canton today and it is threaded form underneath, man that is going to look nice and clean.:clap: I think this is the one I'm going with. Now I'll just have to figure out what maximum height filter I will go with so I can screw around (no pun intended) with cutting the stud to just the right length to keep the fins straight. Sadly though I don't see how I'll be able to do that until the engine is dropped back into the bay and the hood reattached so I can measure down from the hole and see what I have for clearance.

Pak, not really a 14" round cleaner but thought i would throw my setup out as an idea. All polished aluminum and i painted the ball milled areas Ford Blue to match the motor. I think i have less than $100 in the air cleaner and valve covers. They are all over ebay pretty cheap. Those valve cover flanges are super thick, so leaking gaskets is in the past for me :clap: This idea could be used on other types too.

Pak, not really a 14" round cleaner but thought i would throw my setup out as an idea. All polished aluminum and i painted the ball milled areas Ford Blue to match the motor. I think i have less than $100 in the air cleaner and valve covers. They are all over ebay pretty cheap. Those valve cover flanges are super thick, so leaking gaskets is in the past for me :clap: This idea could be used on other types too.

Very sweet looking!:thumbup1: Not exactly the look and function I am going for though with the Ram Air I'm setting up.

Yeah from what i was reading it looked like you made up your mind, but for others that are in limbo it could be a cheap alternative to the $130 Ford Motorsports valvecovers and such.

Thanks for the compliment BTW ;)

Yeah from what i was reading it looked like you made up your mind, but for others that are in limbo it could be a cheap alternative to the $130 Ford Motorsports valvecovers and such.

Thanks for the compliment BTW ;)

Well, it looks like I'm getting a deal on the Cobra covers from Cheo so that's helping nudge me in my choice. Now I can put the extra cash towards that hood tach I want so very badly. :drool:

BTW, well deserved!