Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Cast your vote on these finned air cleaner covers

Which one do you like best?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like best?

• Canton
    • Edelbrock
    • Cobra Valley
    • Rod Worx
    • K&N Extreme
    • K&N High Flow
    • Screw them all check this shit out.

roger, will let you know. BTW, someone here in town is trying to get quarter extenxions for a 69 coupe, haven't found any online yet. Got any urls for them?

To bring this topic slightly back on track again, I did 100% decide on the canton one since most of it would be painted blue but wow, that clear cobra valley option surprisingly pulled ahead on the polls. Very unexpected!

Cheo, hope you are making out great at MCA. I forgot about these qtr. extensions you were seeking. I can't believe there are none to be had in dry Arizona? My passenger side was toasted but my driver side is perfect if that helps? I almost bought this parts car before deciding to go Shelby myself.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/109000-109999/109505_67_full.jpg

But I never ended up getting what I needed off of it really so i got my money back. The top frame piece I still need was rotted. any verts out there in the dessert graveyard BTW? Last time I saw it started to become one with the ground but I can't imagine the extensions are any worse for wear if you want me to hook you up with the guy?

Also, a few people had some in this thread not too long ago:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1684&highlight=extension

And as far as forcing cold air thru the scoop, tell me if this is workable, crazy or not worth the effort.

I have no desire to add the signal blinkers to the back side of the scoop but instead of leaving them bare as they were before I was simply going to add some screen mesh identical to my Shelby side scoops. Then I started thinking about how cowl hoods are supposed to be better at catching cold air off the windshield then scoops open at the front and so I thought if I could trim out a section of that smaller divider wall in front of them I could easily shape some duct out of alminum to carry more air to the filter. But would I A) compromise the structural integrity of the scoop itself by doing that and B) would it be worth it for either the functional or cool factor alone?

Also, there seems to be a section behind the grill at the front that has 3 mounting holes that are completely unused. I don't know if I have something missing or what there but I started to think about B's point of water getting in during washing and I will drill holes in the base of the air cleaner just in case but it seems I could also fab up either a manual block off plate there or better still but much harder I am sure (due to opening and closing the hood alone), rig up one that opens at WOT totally making it functional?

the rear divider wall removale will probably compromise the structure of the scoop and the minmial amount of air it would flowe through the smaller holes wouldn't be worth it, besides the best place for a cowl type opening would be at the base of the windshield and the scoop is a little too far forward to take advantage of it. you could open the back wall up some and vent warm air out from under the hood, though.

the unused front holes are actually for a block off seal. i've considered doing something like a vacuum or manual operated flapper under there but there just isn't much room and i think it would obstruct most of the small amount of air that comes through there anyway.

even the holes drilled in the air cleaner base aren't exactly necessary except when you wash the car and you could easily put a towel in the opening anyway. i just saw it on an original 69 shelby base so i decided to give it a try

the rear divider wall removale will probably compromise the structure of the scoop and the minmial amount of air it would flowe through the smaller holes wouldn't be worth it, besides the best place for a cowl type opening would be at the base of the windshield and the scoop is a little too far forward to take advantage of it. you could open the back wall up some and vent warm air out from under the hood, though.

the unused front holes are actually for a block off seal. i've considered doing something like a vacuum or manual operated flapper under there but there just isn't much room and i think it would obstruct most of the small amount of air that comes through there anyway.

even the holes drilled in the air cleaner base aren't exactly necessary except when you wash the car and you could easily put a towel in the opening anyway. i just saw it on an original 69 shelby base so i decided to give it a try

I wasn't going to remove the whole wall just notch it but I don't want to risk it for no good reason. I'm not too worried about water either, just thinking coolness again but not at the cost of obstruction. I got enough projects anyway. Thanks.

I was just thinking about one small flaw in the Canton lid I ordered, because of the design no good place to put an engine designation sticker. I used to like my 302 4V one. I have seen some folks put them on the sides of such lid deigns or in a non circular matching angle and it just looks like an I sore.

I suppose I could always drop one inside the stock base for the casual oberver though.

I was just thinking about one small flaw in the Canton lid I ordered, because of the design no good place to put an engine designation sticker. I used to like my 302 4V one. I have seen some folks put them on the sides of such lid deigns or in a non circular matching angle and it just looks like an I sore.

I suppose I could always drop one inside the stock base for the casual oberver though.

if you're really careful, you could use a dremel to grind down the ribs. and then you could either use a decal or maybe some kind of metal engine badge. be creative, i'm sure you can think of something that would work.

if you're really careful, you could use a dremel to grind down the ribs. and then you could either use a decal or maybe some kind of metal engine badge. be creative, i'm sure you can think of something that would work.

I think I'd almost rather build up around each side of the fins then grind down on a new part, that always gives me the willies. I will come up sith something though later on.

Here are perfect examples though of a simillar set up that due to the lid design I think first one works and second just doesn't, it would have looke dbetter plain then to force it.

I think I'd almost rather build up around each side of the fins then grind down on a new part, that always gives me the willies. I will come up sith something though later on.

Here are perfect examples though of a simillar set up that due to the lid design I think first one works and second just doesn't, it would have looke dbetter plain then to force it.

the first one looks just like mine. the second actually belongs to 69GrandeCJ, that's his indian fire fastback.

the first one looks just like mine. the second actually belongs to 69GrandeCJ, that's his indian fire fastback.

Well no insult intended to him if he reads this then!!!!! I did save that pic for one of my references, I just don't like the way the angles of the curves fight each other between the sticker and the lid. Sorry CJ if it is yours.:oops:

UPS just came!:thumbup:

It's way brighter than the pic online! I may just have to try it out this way before I decide to paint all but the fins blue. It'll probably be over kill on aluminum without the blue though but I just hate painting up something so pretty.

Maybe I'll try just the areas between the fins first since I now know they are textured, that may be enough.

UPS just came!:thumbup:

It's way brighter than the pic online! I may just have to try it out this way before I decide to paint all but the fins blue. It'll probably be over kill on aluminum without the blue though but I just hate painting up something so pretty.

Maybe I'll try just the areas between the fins first since I now know they are textured, that may be enough.

i think it would look better painted blue with polished fins, still.

i think it would look better painted blue with polished fins, still.

I'm not so sure now B. I took it out of the wrapper and snapped another pic for just a stupid quick photshop and I think this may be enough with the textured center area only. Especially if I do go blue on the Weind intake now.

vs. my original thought wiht an aluminum intake kinda like this. Granted this tends to make it look anodized because it's a quick chop but just for an idea.

It's just so much more polished than I expected from the online shot I originally posted where it all looked so flat and you couldn't see the texture bewteen the ribs.

Either way if I do it one step at a time for real then it is easier to add more blue later than to strip it all off and repolish.

fms-m9600l302.jpg

It's only 13" but I like this one. Summit has them.

Yeah, I posted the Mustang version of that on page 3 just to see if anyone knew of the same only with a Cobra logo. If it had Cobra then it would have been in the running even at just 13". If you read the article I posted in the dress up thread they make a very good point about how not mixing and matching parts and names can make a huge unconcious impression when looking at the engine. Becasue I already decided on COBRA as the dress up option and can't use the typical oval lid due to the ram air I am doing I think a plainer lid works better over suddenly seeing the word FORD pop out at you from nowhere.

Pak, if you leave the canton lid polished you have a bunch of polishing work yet to do, that's got to be the crappiest polish job i've ever seen on a polished part, no offense but you didn't polish it.

Oh for sure, it's just out the box. What I meant was that the online pic looks dull and rough like my intake for example which is why I immediately thought to paint the bulk of it but now I'm not so sure minimal paint wouldn't be nicer. To be fair they list it as "Cast Aluminum" with no mention of polish anywhere in the description.

Oh for sure, it's just out the box. What I meant was that the online pic looks dull and rough like my intake for example which is why I immediately thought to paint the bulk of it but now I'm not so sure minimal paint wouldn't be nicer. To be fair they list it as "Cast Aluminum" with no mention of polish anywhere in the description.

i don't know but i think i'd be a little pissed if i ordered a cast part and wound up with polished, but that's just me, once i make up my mind on how i'm goping to do something i don't change it for any reason and i get really upset if it isn't what it's supposed to be.

Hmmm, seems to me a momment ago you had once made up your mind to paint the engine apart and now wish you hadn't. Perhaps just considering a reason for even a second could have saved some regret?:blush: I changed my mind on the plain Cobra vs. with PBF for a darn good reason, free! If I wasn't totally open to ideas other than my own my post count would be half what it is and I am happy I got alot of the suggestions that I did which were in some cases contradicting to what I had made up my mind to do already.

I get your point though B totally, I'm the same way about alot of things. Those tachs are still shown on every site with that "So Mu Fo" script on them and thanks to me and an email to Scott Drake the new shipments won't be that way. I don't know if anyone will update their web pics when they figure it out or if either the wholesaler sor buyers will get upset for the change but I'll be happy and I think it is for the better. As in this case with the air cleaner lid, I'm looking at it as a happy accident, no regrets or upsetting here on this one.

Hmmm, seems to me a momment ago you had once made up your mind to paint the engine apart and now wish you hadn't. Perhaps just considering a reason for even a second could have saved some regret?:blush: I changed my mind on the plain Cobra vs. with PBF for a darn good reason, free! If I wasn't totally open to ideas other than my own my post count would be half what it is and I am happy I got alot of the suggestions that I did which were in some cases contradicting to what I had made up my mind to do already.

I get your point though B totally, I'm the same way about alot of things. Those tachs are still shown on every site with that "So Mu Fo" script on them and thanks to me and an email to Scott Drake the new shipments won't be that way. I don't know if anyone will update their web pics when they figure it out or if either the wholesaler sor buyers will get upset for the change but I'll be happy and I think it is for the better. As in this case with the air cleaner lid, I'm looking at it as a happy accident, no regrets or upsetting here on this one.

actually, i only painted the engine apart because it was easier at that time, no real caonsideration given to it, i had a bunch of bare parts that i didn't want to rust. it wasn't until after the engine was assembled and ready to go into the car that i noticed the bare places. call it a live and learn experience