Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Cast your vote on these finned air cleaner covers

Which one do you like best?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like best?

• Canton
    • Edelbrock
    • Cobra Valley
    • Rod Worx
    • K&N Extreme
    • K&N High Flow
    • Screw them all check this shit out.

OK now that I have decided on the finned valve covers I'm going with (if you are saying hunh? check out the other engine dress up thread) it's time to pick the perfect finned air cleaner lid to compliment them. The photos are just representation as I will likely paint an appropriate portion of them just as the valve covers. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1) The Canton cover:

65600.jpg

2) The Edelbrock cover with name delete:

350-4224.jpg

3) Cobra Valley clear polymer cover: (they offer decal options so I would have them done to match the valve covers). [Yes they are as safe as metal too.]

img187.gif

4) Rodworx Nostalgia cover:

DSCN0151.JPG

5) K&N original Xstream air flow: (I already have a matching K&N air filter that I am using and I would paint the black parts blue)

K33-661401XP.jpg

6)K&N New High Flow cover:

REN-2030.jpg

7) Your own choice that I have not thought of yet. However, it must be limited to a 14" round cover and you must post a pic or at least a link to it if you cast this vote.

Pak, i voted for the canton but the rodworx is a close second. i think however that the canton is the better match to the cobra valve covers.

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way too especially with all but the fins painted blue. How the heck do you suppose it attaches though? I see no hole for the post and nut? I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet.

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way too especially with all but the fins painted blue. How the heck do you suppose it attaches though? I see no hole for the post and nut? I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet.

I'm assuming you're matching the valve covers. I just made a big mistake yesterday when I got my air cleaner, I got the 5/8's, too tall for the Weiand intake, will hit the hood, so I'm off to get a cutting tool. BTW, I just switched from the the Cobra covers to the Ford Racing in black. It all comes down to matching it all. Good luck, and post a pic when you're done! :)

i'm guessin that either the pic is of a prototype part or there is a threaded boss cast into the bottom of it, if so that would be really cool, nice and clean

oh yeah, in case anyone ever wonders about my air cleaner wing nut it is actually a chrome piece from a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine. i think it looks good, clean and neat.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt/my_car_engine_3?full=1

not a very good pic but you can get the idea. i still need to trim the stud too.

That looks great, A/C always nice.

Cheo

oh yeah, in case anyone ever wonders about my air cleaner wing nut it is actually a chrome piece from a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine. i think it looks good, clean and neat.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt/my_car_engine_3?full=1

not a very good pic but you can get the idea. i still need to trim the stud too.

I'm assuming you're matching the valve covers. I just made a big mistake yesterday when I got my air cleaner, I got the 5/8's, too tall for the Weiand intake, will hit the hood, so I'm off to get a cutting tool. BTW, I just switched from the the Cobra covers to the Ford Racing in black. It all comes down to matching it all. Good luck, and post a pic when you're done! :)

Yes Cheo, VC's as in the other thread. I'm using the stock large air cleaner base with deleted snorkel, running a gasket all the way around (kind of alla the 68' CJ) to seal up to the now opened up hood and putting a smaller 14" cover onto the filter so the scoop will be functional. Don't worry, pics will come ASAP. So which Cobra covers did you have? Are they in good shape? Are you selling them cheaply? :whistling:

i'm guessin that either the pic is of a prototype part or there is a threaded boss cast into the bottom of it, if so that would be really cool, nice and clean

Hmmm, a threadded boss would be cool but dang, you'd have to cut the length of the post just right to get it snug and have it thread so the fins are straight.:blink:

Yes Cheo, VC's as in the other thread. I'm using the stock large air cleaner base with deleted snorkel, running a gasket all the way around (kind of alla the 68' CJ) to seal up to the now opened up hood and putting a smaller 14" cover onto the filter so the scoop will be functional. Don't worry, pics will come ASAP. So which Cobra covers did you have? Are they in good shape? Are you selling them cheaply? :whistle:

I have the standard 302/351 covers, "Cobra Powered by Ford" fairly new, motor has about 4k on it, so about the same for the covers, don't really know how much, make an offer :) you pay the shipping ;)!.

Hmmm, a threadded boss would be cool but dang, you'd have to cut the length of the post just right to get it snug and have it thread so the fins are straight.:blink:

that's easy enough, attach the stud to the air cleaner with loctite and just thread the whole thing into the carb. the length of the stud would stilll have to be pretty close but you'd have a bit more fudge factor.

cheo, if pak doesn't want the cobra covers i may be interested.

roger, will let you know. BTW, someone here in town is trying to get quarter extenxions for a 69 coupe, haven't found any online yet. Got any urls for them?

cheo, if pak doesn't want the cobra covers i may be interested.

Here's what the current covers look like.

http://members.cox.net/jaf15/GTengine.jpg

I hope the link works. I'm replacing them with Ford Racing Satin Black covers,

Ford Racing air cleaner, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 670 carb, street avenger. Soon, the heads will be replaced by Edelbrock RPM heads, I already bought them, cheap too! I need time to try them on, see how they behave :). Anyway, Pak, let me know.

You've talked me into the plain Cobra sans PBF ones bud so go ahead, bid away.:gunsmilie:

i'm ok with it if you want them bro. i've got a set of finned ford motorsport covers i can put on the car when i sell it. think about it for a while before you make up your mind.

i'm ok with it if you want them bro. i've got a set of finned ford motorsport covers i can put on the car when i sell it. think about it for a while before you make up your mind.

No bid needed guys, whoever wants them, I'll let them go, just return the favor later :).

ok Cheo, i think if Pak has made up his mind i'll take them, just let me know how much. thanks.

No money needed, I'm happy to help a fellow 69 owner. Just remember me if I ever need help. I'm not sure if we have PM, email me at jaf15@cox.net, we'll exchange info then.

Awe man, you never said they were free. :eek:

That's Ok though, B is on a tighter budget than me (even though I did just lose my job 2 weeks ago) he can have them still.

BTW Cheo, we do have PM on here, just FYI.

That's Ok though, B is on a tighter budget than me (even though I did just lose my job 2 weeks ago) he can have them still.

You guys work it out. No cost from my end, just happy to help, I know it's unusuall, to give a freebe. Best of luck to you Pak, Let me know either way.

I'll find that PM eventually! Thanks!

Cheo.

Pak, i wasn't aware that you had lost your job. what happened? actually you can have the covers, like i said i have some old motorsport ones i can throw on it. they are actually in perfect shape anyway. and actually right now my budget is ok.

Pak, i wasn't aware that you had lost your job. what happened? actually you can have the covers, like i said i have some old motorsport ones i can throw on it. they are actually in perfect shape anyway. and actually right now my budget is ok.

Are you sure bud? I don't mind changing to the PBF ones for the cost of shipping and a future favor owed but I did give up my squatters right already and fair is fair.

About the job, yeah I didn't really make an announcement or anything but the day it happened I had to email folks in my work email addresses so they didn't contact me that way anymore and one of the folks was Chepsk8. He blew the whistle in the reunion thread on Stangnet and I figured folks like you might have seen it already.

Anyway, the story goes like this in a nutshell. They did about 1.5 billion last year (up from 900 million when they went public and I joined over 4 years ago) and this year sales are down, projected at only 1.3 billion the poor bastards:closedeyes: so they just did a big corporate restructuring prior to mid year reviews and I was one of 8 that got cut in my department, we were all in the same salary range. I'm not hurting or anything, I got a pretty nice severance package and with added 4 weeks unused vacation pay I can sail thru to the end of the year pretty much. The tough part is there is really no other companies in my industry where I live (which I love my area) so my best job opportunities to stay in New England are all south of Boston and I really don't want to move or commute 2+ hours to work each way. I know something will turn up it's just a matter of when and where. My hope is that I find something within a month or so and if that happens then I'll be collecting two checks for a while and turn this frown upside down. If not then heck, I have been paying into unemployment for 22 years so it's about time I get some back and now I have the much needed Stang time Ive been wanting. The glass is always half full in my eyes.

So as a follow up add on, unless I go with the Canton one and it does have a hidden boss underneath (still waiting to hear from the supplier) a regular nut on top will just not do. I'm not really fond of the designers ones that the mustang vendors offer, I want something rather clean and simple (no skulls or dice or whatnot) so I decided to see what else is out there, here's some options I'm considering.

1) A nice little knurled one from Moon Eye's, $4.99:

Spe1758.jpg

2 and 3) A couple of tri bars from Mr. gasket for $2.44 and $3.97 respectively. I like the thought of the first one alot with the black painted Ford blue to match the other components.

9862.jpg9863.jpg

4) Another knurled one from Mr. Gasket for $5.99:

B0002JMUCA.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._AA186_SCLZZZZZZZ_.

5) Yet another tri bar design from Mr. Gasket for $4.69. This one seems a bit overdone but if (big if) I went with those long protruding valve cover bolts (doubtful) they are of a simillar design.

720-9868.jpg

Any thoughts? I think I'm leaning towards either #2 or #4 but I'm open to other options if you post them.