Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

2.5" stainless tip options?

They're not bad at all. Where did you get that from? An how much did you pay for it?

of all places i found them at autozone. they are really a "ricer" tip and they have some writing stamped into the top of them. they're made by 3A racing and that is what is stamped into the top, kind of like those gibson tips Pak posted. price was ok, they were 25 bucks each.

They're not bad at all. Where did you get that from? An how much did you pay for it?

of all places i found them at autozone. they are really a "ricer" tip and they have some writing stamped into the top of them. they're made by 3A racing and that is what is stamped into the top, kind of like those gibson tips Pak posted. price was ok, they were 25 bucks each.

Well did get the exhaust done tonight. 1st off the Magnaflow 2.5 exhaust system is sweet... With the headers I got from www.fordpowertrain.com they matched right up.

Very nice looking system - may need mirrors around the car at shows - just kidding...

They tuck up real tight to the underside.

A couple of observations:

- couldn't get the cut outs in w/o butchering the X pipe so no cut outs.

- The Borla tips I bought were too short. They were 7" long. BNickel - you may want to check yours if you are using the Magnaflow system. That said the 12" Borla's will work fine I think.

- I installed the SS turndowns and they look fine for now.

The sound is totally different - much quieter until you get on it. Strange really since you can almost see through the mufflers. But the sound is sweet. Sorta like a late model Stang.

Pak - my buddy left the She-velle at home but I asked him to take some pics and email them to me. Also, I'll take pics of the turndowns when there's more light out. Again, they look fine but I will probably go with the longer Borla slant cuts. Turndowns also are part of the reason for the quieter sound.

Also fixed the dizzy and dorked with the carb and installed a new starter. All worked out great. Much easier starting and idle and much smoother through the powerband now w/o the arcing. Also found the timing was better at 30 degrees than 32.

Took it out and dumped the clutch - 6k smackdown with tires roasting. Speedo said 85mph and we were doing 5 miles actual....:innocent:

Next up - new shifter (it's shot) and maybe a new tranny. Need to do the rear springs and new traction bars - probably cal tracs.

Anyway it needs a good bath this weekend so I'll take the pics then and maybe a sound clip or two.

Well did get the exhaust done tonight. 1st off the Magnaflow 2.5 exhaust system is sweet... With the headers I got from www.fordpowertrain.com they matched right up.

Very nice looking system - may need mirrors around the car at shows - just kidding...

They tuck up real tight to the underside.

A couple of observations:

- couldn't get the cut outs in w/o butchering the X pipe so no cut outs.

- The Borla tips I bought were too short. They were 7" long. BNickel - you may want to check yours if you are using the Magnaflow system. That said the 12" Borla's will work fine I think.

- I installed the SS turndowns and they look fine for now.

The sound is totally different - much quieter until you get on it. Strange really since you can almost see through the mufflers. But the sound is sweet. Sorta like a late model Stang.

Pak - my buddy left the She-velle at home but I asked him to take some pics and email them to me. Also, I'll take pics of the turndowns when there's more light out. Again, they look fine but I will probably go with the longer Borla slant cuts. Turndowns also are part of the reason for the quieter sound.

Also fixed the dizzy and dorked with the carb and installed a new starter. All worked out great. Much easier starting and idle and much smoother through the powerband now w/o the arcing. Also found the timing was better at 30 degrees than 32.

Took it out and dumped the clutch - 6k smackdown with tires roasting. Speedo said 85mph and we were doing 5 miles actual....:innocent:

Next up - new shifter (it's shot) and maybe a new tranny. Need to do the rear springs and new traction bars - probably cal tracs.

Anyway it needs a good bath this weekend so I'll take the pics then and maybe a sound clip or two.

no borla system for me. mine is a custom made 2.5" aluminized system from the best muffler shop in this area. i'm just using a generic turbo that is basically the same as a dynomax turbo muffler. my system tucks up real close to the body everywhere and doen not hang below the frame rails whatsoever. i have hedman shorty headers also, so that's a big reason why they were able to keep it tucked up so close. in fact i like the system so much i'll probably duplicate it when i get the cougar except i my go with a 2.25" tailpipe from the muffs back instead of the 2.5". it's pretty loud even at idle, but it's got a nice mellow tone though, it doesn't rattle or pop resonate at all. overall i like it and if i was going to keep the car i'd probably add a set of glass packs inline before the turbos that way they could still tuck up into the driveshaft tunnel like the current setup. i may even go that way on the cougar and still have the 2.25" tailpipes to make it even that much quieter. i kind of like the stealthiness of a quiet exhaust system, doesn't give anything away.:devil:

no borla system for me. mine is a custom made 2.5" aluminized system from the best muffler shop in this area. i'm just using a generic turbo that is basically the same as a dynomax turbo muffler. my system tucks up real close to the body everywhere and doen not hang below the frame rails whatsoever. i have hedman shorty headers also, so that's a big reason why they were able to keep it tucked up so close. in fact i like the system so much i'll probably duplicate it when i get the cougar except i my go with a 2.25" tailpipe from the muffs back instead of the 2.5". it's pretty loud even at idle, but it's got a nice mellow tone though, it doesn't rattle or pop resonate at all. overall i like it and if i was going to keep the car i'd probably add a set of glass packs inline before the turbos that way they could still tuck up into the driveshaft tunnel like the current setup. i may even go that way on the cougar and still have the 2.25" tailpipes to make it even that much quieter. i kind of like the stealthiness of a quiet exhaust system, doesn't give anything away.:devil:

The exhaust system is the magnaflow SS 2.5 system. Only the tips were Borla. The tips are nice just too short.

And I agree the sleeper sound is pretty cool. However, it's all business once the RPM's get moving. I figure people will think me a bit slower from the sound - that works....

The exhaust system is the magnaflow SS 2.5 system. Only the tips were Borla. The tips are nice just too short.

And I agree the sleeper sound is pretty cool. However, it's all business once the RPM's get moving. I figure people will think me a bit slower from the sound - that works....

here are the pics

For those interested in bnickel's Autozone exhaust tips the part number is 62-2450 and the SKU is 712188 Part name 'Cyclops 3 1/2"'

I dont know what your talking about, I dont work for Autozone :whistling:

here are the pics

For those interested in bnickel's Autozone exhaust tips the part number is 62-2450 and the SKU is 712188 Part name 'Cyclops 3 1/2"'

if you don't work for AZ then that must be a pic of you shoplifting those tips then, huh? LOL

if you don't work for AZ then that must be a pic of you shoplifting those tips then, huh? LOL

Good info to know Coz, thanks. If I stick with the Gibson tip then I'll go 4 1/2 for sure then becasue it is 12" long and the 3 1/2 tip is only 7 so I'd guess it's too short too. So your kit came with turn downs then? I haven't looked in my box fr a while but I swear they were a slash cut. Funny your comment abot the mufflers, when I first opened the kit I thought they looked a tad this myself, almost cheesy in fact compared to the rest of the system. I'm happy to hear that they are more quiet at idle though with a nice sound still at WOT. My old glasspacks were loud no matter what you did it seems.

B, Can't argue the price but I'm not totally digging the look of those 3A's too much. Maybe I'd like them better after I see them installed. The rolled tip is nice but I like the overall shape of the Gibson better I think so far as a non stock look goes. So is there an advantage to running glasspacks before the mufflers? I have seen pics of a few installs that did that and I had been contemplating re-using my old ones in the same way myself.

Good info to know Coz, thanks. If I stick with the Gibson tip then I'll go 4 1/2 for sure then becasue it is 12" long and the 3 1/2 tip is only 7 so I'd guess it's too short too. So your kit came with turn downs then? I haven't looked in my box fr a while but I swear they were a slash cut. Funny your comment abot the mufflers, when I first opened the kit I thought they looked a tad this myself, almost cheesy in fact compared to the rest of the system. I'm happy to hear that they are more quiet at idle though with a nice sound still at WOT. My old glasspacks were loud no matter what you did it seems.

B, Can't argue the price but I'm not totally digging the look of those 3A's too much. Maybe I'd like them better after I see them installed. The rolled tip is nice but I like the overall shape of the Gibson better I think so far as a non stock look goes. So is there an advantage to running glasspacks before the mufflers? I have seen pics of a few installs that did that and I had been contemplating re-using my old ones in the same way myself.

it basically just makes the system quieter but only with basically new glasspacks. if they are old and worn out they'll be louder, also the longer they are the quieter they are. i was planning on using at least a 24" maybe a 30" if they'd fit. not going to worry about it now though.

i'll get some pics of the tips once i get them installed. i have to shorten the tailpipes because the exhaust shop left them long since we couldn't use the quad tips. i'm gonna have to shorten the pipes quite a bit too, probably at least 10" or so. i did set the tips on the end of the pipes and i thought they actually looked really good, fills up the space nicely and the angle of the tip matches the angle of the valance really well. honestly i wish i could have used the quad tips because i think the look a lot cooler but that's not an option now.

it basically just makes the system quieter but only with basically new glasspacks. if they are old and worn out they'll be louder, also the longer they are the quieter they are. i was planning on using at least a 24" maybe a 30" if they'd fit. not going to worry about it now though.

i'll get some pics of the tips once i get them installed. i have to shorten the tailpipes because the exhaust shop left them long since we couldn't use the quad tips. i'm gonna have to shorten the pipes quite a bit too, probably at least 10" or so. i did set the tips on the end of the pipes and i thought they actually looked really good, fills up the space nicely and the angle of the tip matches the angle of the valance really well. honestly i wish i could have used the quad tips because i think the look a lot cooler but that's not an option now.

Pak - I posted a couple of pics with the new magnaflow tips in my gallery. Pics didn't turn out great - I need to get lower. But you can see they are slant cut but they have a turn down also.

I'll post some better pics - the camera battery was dead. My buddy's pics with the Gibson tips were too dark also so I'll retake them.

Pak - I posted a couple of pics with the new magnaflow tips in my gallery. Pics didn't turn out great - I need to get lower. But you can see they are slant cut but they have a turn down also.

I'll post some better pics - the camera battery was dead. My buddy's pics with the Gibson tips were too dark also so I'll retake them.

If you go with Gibsons - check out below link. No charge for shipping. The Gibson finish looks great. I got the 2.5 x 3.5 x 12s slash cuts. Also have he magnaflow system and agree - quiet at idle but souds good when you get on it. Cars up on jacks right now with wheels off - Not sure if I'm sold on the look of the tips yet. The cuts out on rear valance seem like ovals may give a better look. Downturns that came with magnaflows look alright just a little small loking in valance opening. Who would of thought that tips would be such a tough decison.

If you go with Gibsons - check out below link. No charge for shipping. The Gibson finish looks great. I got the 2.5 x 3.5 x 12s slash cuts. Also have he magnaflow system and agree - quiet at idle but souds good when you get on it. Cars up on jacks right now with wheels off - Not sure if I'm sold on the look of the tips yet. The cuts out on rear valance seem like ovals may give a better look. Downturns that came with magnaflows look alright just a little small loking in valance opening. Who would of thought that tips would be such a tough decison.

If you go with Gibsons - check out below link.

???? Hunh? What link?

Got a pic of your tips? Is it 3 1/2 round? I'm thinking the 4 1/2 oval I posted would fill it up nicely.

If you go with Gibsons - check out below link.

???? Hunh? What link?

Got a pic of your tips? Is it 3 1/2 round? I'm thinking the 4 1/2 oval I posted would fill it up nicely.