Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

2.5" stainless tip options?

Has anyone for a source for a nice SS replica of the stock dual exhaust tip yet? One with a rolled lip prefferably? I seem to be coming up empty handed in all my searches. I suppose I could just the single ones that came with magnaflow kit but I do like to original design alot.

I saw a tip that looked close to the right size and shape on a '06 VW Rabbit today. I am also looking for th period correct look for my 70 mach1, so far the rabbit seems like a close fit. I have to find a dealership so I can get a close look at a parked car.

Pak,

I also looked high and low for the dual tips in 2.5". There were a couple of dual intercooled tips but they looked very tuner and should be on a little jap crap car (or a rabbit). Not my style.

I went with the single tip Borla - cut at a 45. Gives it a bit of the Boss look.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=BOR%2D20107&N=700+4294922678+4294904092+115&autoview=sku

I thought about expanding out my orginal dual tips but not sure it will go that far.

I saw a tip that looked close to the right size and shape on a '06 VW Rabbit today. I am also looking for th period correct look for my 70 mach1, so far the rabbit seems like a close fit. I have to find a dealership so I can get a close look at a parked car.

Hey man they make the concourse 70 mach tips now in both stainless and chrome. The chrome ones are crap though, ask me how i know. Look on ebay and you'll find them. The chrome ones are around $120 for the pair and the stainless ones are up around $350 a pair.

Sorry Pak, don't know of any 69 stainless ones:sad:

Yeah that's what I feared. I may just put the ones on that came with the kit for now and see if someone doesn't come out with them down the road. I really do like the stainless 70 ones but ouch.

was it you that i sent pics to of the 70 stainless tips that aren't "concourse" correct? I have a pair because i went with the concourse type. These are oval shaped tips with the rolled edge. They are often found on ebay for $80

I thought I'd dig up this old thread and post a few 2.5" inlet options in stainless that I am considering to compliment my Magnaflow exhaust. No perfect candidate so far with exact style and rolled lips combined but some interesting options none the less.

This is a weld on tip by Matrix. It's 4" across which is about as wide as stock and does have a rolled lip. The tips turn up a bit instead of straight out but I think I might like that look actually. The only down side is that it does not look like it is full stainless but at $35 a piece it's not a bad option. There's a super cheap 3" across non rolled lip version as well for $18 each.

grm-03-300_w.jpg

This is one by Gibson, actually designed for trucks but I think I'm kinda leaning this way right now. It has a rectangle slanted cut shape kinda reminicent of the 70' look I think, if it was rolled it would be perfect. This one is 4.5" across which will just fit in the cutouts of the roll pan I believe and fill it up pretty nice actually. I really like the built in clamp design as well and it being full stainless, looks very finished and a nice value. Goes for about $50 each and is also available in a smaller 3.5" across size for $38 and both with a straight cut option as well if desired over the slant cut. They even come with flame etchings for a little extra if that's your thing.

gib-500538_w.jpg

This weld on one by Hedman is probably as close to the stock look you can get within the parameters set above. It's got the rolled lips with no turn up at the end but again does not appear full stainless and I think is smaller at just 3" across and a little more pricey at $60 each.

hed-17205_w.jpg

There is a petty pricey one from Borla too but with intercooled fins instead of rolled lips and at $130 a piece not even worth showing I don't think.

Any thoughts, opinions, better options???

You'll hate me for this, but the 2.5" Chevy dual is pretty close to the original, search for a Chevy :wacko: .

Awe c'mon I gots far better reasons to be hatin ya.:001_icon16: I wasn't actually searching for any specifc make at all just 2.5 in. inlet and stainless steel, I never came across a chevy one, is it stainless?

I'm pretty sure it's outer, why?

Because I'm trying to figure out what mine are. They measure 2 1/4" on the ID, and 2 1/2" on the OD, either of which could be a legitimate exhaust size...so I'm not sure what I have, hehe.

Because I'm trying to figure out what mine are. They measure 2 1/4" on the ID, and 2 1/2" on the OD, either of which could be a legitimate exhaust size...so I'm not sure what I have, hehe.

Well, I am assuming that since the inlet sizes for the tips are measured as a 2 1/2" inlet ( or 2 1/4" so it makes senses that fit's over a 2 1/2" pipe. Otherwise there wold have to be a 2 3/4" inlet also which no one carries.

Wow that's some thick tubing. Is it roll cage tubing? lol:clown:.

All tubing is normally listed as OD. Things that add on are usually listed as ID like mufflers, clamps and tips. That way when you buy 2.5 mufflers they will slip over 2.5 tubing.

Exaust tubing is usually 1/16" thick so the difference between ID and OD is usually 1/8". But alot of times the tips are different for looks.

Wow that's some thick tubing. Is it roll cage tubing? lol:clown:.

All tubing is normally listed as OD. Things that add on are usually listed as ID like mufflers, clamps and tips. That way when you buy 2.5 mufflers they will slip over 2.5 tubing.

Exaust tubing is usually 1/16" thick so the difference between ID and OD is usually 1/8". But alot of times the tips are different for looks.

Heh, it was a quick measure with tape measure, but I'm fairly sure that's what I came up with.

Thanks for the answer to my stoopid noobie question, though, guys. I guess it makes sense that the tubing stock would be measured at OD, but with exhaust it would only be able to use the ID for the flow, so that's where I was confuzzeled.

Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :clown:

Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :clown:

Not much point in that, I haven't got one single two bit opinion on the three new tips I just posted so without your hyjack this thread is dead anyway.

I thought I'd dig up this old thread and post a few 2.5" inlet options in stainless that I am considering to compliment my Magnaflow exhaust. No perfect candidate so far with exact style and rolled lips combined but some interesting options none the less.

This is a weld on tip by Matrix. It's 4" across which is about as wide as stock and does have a rolled lip. The tips turn up a bit instead of straight out but I think I might like that look actually. The only down side is that it does not look like it is full stainless but at $35 a piece it's not a bad option. There's a super cheap 3" across non rolled lip version as well for $18 each.

grm-03-300_w.jpg

This is one by Gibson, actually designed for trucks but I think I'm kinda leaning this way right now. It has a rectangle slanted cut shape kinda reminicent of the 70' look I think, if it was rolled it would be perfect. This one is 4.5" across which will just fit in the cutouts of the roll pan I believe and fill it up pretty nice actually. I really like the built in clamp design as well and it being full stainless, looks very finished and a nice value. Goes for about $50 each and is also available in a smaller 3.5" across size for $38 and both with a straight cut option as well if desired over the slant cut. They even come with flame etchings for a little extra if that's your thing.

gib-500538_w.jpg

This weld on one by Hedman is probably as close to the stock look you can get within the parameters set above. It's got the rolled lips with no turn up at the end but again does not appear full stainless and I think is smaller at just 3" across and a little more pricey at $60 each.

hed-17205_w.jpg

There is a petty pricey one from Borla too but with intercooled fins instead of rolled lips and at $130 a piece not even worth showing I don't think.

Any thoughts, opinions, better options???

I like the last one but if your gonna go that route im sure could find a cheaper alternative. #2 would look nice if it was round like you said but who knows how it will actually turn out or look on our stangs, by itself it looks great. And numero uno, im not sure i like the bend in them. I'm always a fan of the dual shotgun barrell style tips though or singles even.

Not much point in that, I haven't got one single two bit opinion on the three new tips I just posted so without your hyjack this thread is dead anyway.

Ok I'll chime in. Don't like any of them but if I had to pick I would choose the 3rd option. My buddy has the gibsons on his Chevelle. Looks good but don't think they would look good on a mustang. The 1st option is down right putrid. Reminds me of the tuner crowd. I guess they would be ok on a euro racer but on a Mustang - UGHHHHH.

I should have my new magnaflow exhaust on by next week. I did the single outlet 45 degree Borla tips. I'll take pixs and post. Would really like to expand the stock dual tips but they are original and I would hate to crack them.

See the only thing I do not like about the third option though is that they are only 3" wide, the stock one is 4" wide. If I could find that in 4" wide there would be no question here the way to go.

Any chance you could get a picture of the Chevelle with the gibsons also? I can't imagine that they would look any different than a cheaper reproduction of a true 70' style really so I would like to see for myself.

For the record, I hated option 1 also, way to tuner but I listed it just to see what the general consensus was. If I don't find the perfect tip when it comes to install the system I will just use the single ones that came with it for now and wait until I do.

[Would really like to expand the stock dual tips but they are original and I would hate to crack them.

I might be able to help you out with that experiment. I had the true Ford ones on my car as well but the side that got hit was bent beyond repair. If you tell me what needs to be done I could try to expand it or I could send it to you to fool around with first. My fear is that even expanded it would cause restrictions over a true 2 1/2 inlet though.

i've been looking at autozone tips lately found the exact one i wanted, it's an oval, slash cut (45*) polished SS with a rolled lip about 8" long. the only problem is they are a little out of my budget right now, they're like 35 bucks each so i'll probably have to wait a while to get them. i think they'll look good though.

i've been looking at autozone tips lately found the exact one i wanted, it's an oval, slash cut (45*) polished SS with a rolled lip about 8" long. the only problem is they are a little out of my budget right now, they're like 35 bucks each so i'll probably have to wait a while to get them. i think they'll look good though.

Sounds nice and doesn't seem that expensive but what size pipe do you have? Finding something I like in a 2.5" inlet has been the major problem for me.:wacko:

I can't believe magnaflow makes and sells alot of these 2.5 systems but has such a crappy tip selection for them.

Ok, so looking at the Matrix tip it appears that each outlet tube is larger than the inlet. How is that thing 4" wide if there is a 2.5" inlet? Looks like each outlet tube is 4", giving you probably a 8.25" spread with the gap between the tubes. Am I way off on this?

Just be careful on their descriptions of outlet tube sizes. I've found many tips that have dual tip OD of 2.5, so that would be 5" across assuming no gap. You'd have to have dual 1.75-2" OD outlets.