Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969P51

Stuck

I have a 1969 Mustang convertable. All of a sudden I cannot get the truck to open. The key turns almost completely, but wont go the last little bit to unlatch the darn thing.

I've tried applying a bunch of things but nothing worked. Short of cutting a hole...any suggestions???

I have a 1969 Mustang convertable. All of a sudden I cannot get the truck to open. The key turns almost completely, but wont go the last little bit to unlatch the darn thing.

I've tried applying a bunch of things but nothing worked. Short of cutting a hole...any suggestions???

Can you remove the back seat to get into the trunk? Works on a Coupe but I'm not sure about a Vert.

-Stephen

about your only option left then, is to get the lock cylinder out of the tail panel and use a screwdriver to open the trunk. the lock cylinder can be removed with a slide hammer and if you're really careful it won't damage the panel.

:hammer: I would recommend that you drill out the cylinder - make sure to use sharp bits and start on the smaller side then work up - it's a soft metal and should drill easily. That way you shouldn't run the risk of damaging the trunk lid.

As you can see in the below pic, while there may be a wall behind the rear seat, there is no shortage of access holes at all. The cylinder is held in place by a lousy little C clip, that's all, once you slide it off the cylinder wall it should pop right out. Depending on your arm reach you muight be able to get a long flat blade screw driver close to the C clip or you could use a sturdy stick or dowel with a butter knife duct taped to the end of it, you litterally just need to come in contact with the closed end of the clip and push to the side.

The last resort other than drilling would be to try and back out the screws from the gas tank and gain access that way but unless it's empty and you have already removed it and just hand tightened them back in place it will be tough to get all of them out that way.

BTW, have you tried backing the key out just a hair after inserting? Some times the post that stops the key at the right length gets a little warn and causes it to enter too far and not line up with the pins correctly. Jiggling it wont work but backing it out just ever so slightly may do it.