Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Sand Blast Cabinet

OK so here's the deal. Now that I got my compresor fixed I bought a small and cheap sand blaster for it to aid in stripping my parts. Naturally in the open it makes quite the mess so I started to look at some blast cabinets. I figure if I bought one then I'd want something at leats big enough to do a long tube header in. Well yikes, do they start to get pricey when they get bid.

So I'm thinking some plywood and plexiglass has to be way cheaper and I started to sketch out a concept for a build of materials. Then as I am looking around the garage for exisiting salvagable parts I see my old gas grill sitting there and I'm thinking, sure it's a little smaller than I had in mind but hmmmmmmm!??!?!??!?!?! It's already got a hinged lid and a window and a tapered base to it for sand recycling, it's the right hight and basically if I rig up a light and some screening and a little weatherstrip I could be good to go.

What do you think, should I give it a try, build my own from scratch, combine both ideas or just bite the bullet and buy one?

Theres a lot of pride to be had from building your own and saving money. If you don't plan on using the gas grill and it is a good unit without rust (You don't want it coming apart on you) I say go ahead and give it a try. At worst you loose a little pocket change and a few hours, it's better than giving in already!!

Should work Pak. It really is just a box to control the powder and media.

I actually took one of those large clear storage tubs, cut a hole big enough to put my arm in on one side and one for a shop vac hose on the other. I then cut a square hole on top and used a piece of picture frame glass to look through. I guess I have maybe $5 in it. Of course I swiped the tub from my wife but that is about what a new one would cost.

Not the best to look at but I've used it quite a bit and have been happy to date. I have to empty the media back into the blaster every once in a while but no biggie for the amount and size of things I'm blasting.

There are lots of plans from grand to minimal online from what I remember.

Good luck!

-Stephen

Hmmm, the plastic tub is not a bad idea, if this doesn't work out then I may try that next over building it from plywood. I can really see this working though, I may need to build a mid section out of wood or something to raise the lid and to give me something easier to cut holes through for my arms then the casting but I can really visualize it working. Of course I'll have to first sand blast the grease all out of it and some of the minor surface rust on the legs but the height is perfect, it can roll on wheels, the recycle bucket should fit nicely where the tank would go, yeah, I think you guys have helped talk me into it, maybe I'll take Wednesday off and have at it.

So proto, how is the shop vac coming into play, just to remove dust in the air? Where are these plans you speak of online?

So proto, how is the shop vac coming into play, just to remove dust in the air? Where are these plans you speak of online?

Yes.. otherwise you can't see anything in just a few seconds due to dust. I guess glass media might not be quite so bad. I just use cheap sand so the vac pulls out the dust and also keeps the dust from escaping from any small holes due to pressure from the blaster.

Will have to search for some plans. I've run across a few from plywood to laundry tub at one time or another.

-Stephen

I made mine from one sheet of 3/4 inch plywood (4x8) and misc hinges, 2x4`s, screws, plexy, from around my garage.It`s big enough for most anything, even a 428 block. It`s a bit cramped and I have to remove it completely to do the other side but it fits.

John

Well, I think it is doable but after looking at my old grill more closely last night I determined that there are alot of holes to be plugged during converting and making it airtight may not be all that easy and in the end it is a tad small still for all the effort involved. That's not to say I won't give it a try still but I don't want to waste my time on it right now.

I did look up some do it yourself plans online though last night and the most interesting by far was a design converting an old dishwaser! Once gutted it is almost a perfect base for this as it is air tight and lockable and depending on the model I'm sure I could convert the bottom water spout to be a lazy susan for rotating items during blasting. My father in law owns his own appliance reapir shop so I am sure he's got an old one lying around. If not my wife has been after me to replace ours so now here is some incentive for me.

I would make some changes to it I think like adding the holes for the arms and the viewing window all to the door instead of the sides as I believe it will be easier to just replace the whole door panel with a piece of plexi but here is the initial inspiration link.

http://www.autodidactics.com/sand.htm I will be sure to document it for the how to section if it comes out as well as I think it will but as it turns out, I'm still in no hurry. I went into our engineering lab yesterday to talk to one of the guys about the idea and he says "Why don't you just use the one in the back room???" :wacko: So it looks like I will take tomorrow off anyway and cart a truck load of parts to work.

So did you play in the sand today Pak?

Using a unit like the one at work in the pic will be much easier and faster.

I fired up my 'tub' version tonight and cleaned off the base motor mounts and some under dash items. Still makes a little mess no matter how well I think it's sealed but it gets the job done.

-Stephen

Heck yes I did. Worked great too, it was filled with glass media, way better than sand. I did my oil pan, bell housing, water pump, thermostat housing and air cleaner in just over an hour. Time to break out the ford blue rattle cans now.