Protowrxs

Protowrxs Coupe - Update

Well I have had zero time to work on any hobbies late due to doing double duties since my boss resigned. I have been keeping an eye out for any deals though.

I ran across some Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, 1.72 rockers and pushrods that were bolted up but never run on a local board. Saved a few hundred off buying new direct.

I also started installing the BQuite last month before all this work started and found the process pretty straight forward. A little slow none the less but easy enough.

More pics here: http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-04-20.asp

Stephen

I picked up a 5.0 roller block today. I had bounced back and forth between high dollar blocks, re-using one of the early models I have, etc. This one came up on a local board and the guy ended up being only a mile or so from me. Of course I had to mock up the Twisted Wedge heads and rockers. :devil2:

More here as usual:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-04-22.asp

-Stephen

Just keeping up the collection of parts since time is spent at work and covering our patio.

Picked up this Scat 347 Stroker kit from a local. It is only a cast crank (9000) but the rods are forged 4130's with ARP Cap screws and the pistons are Probe SRS forged units. With the stock computer and likley a 5500 rpm rev limit for some time to come these should live quite nicely even if I end up spraying it a bit. For $700 I believe I came out allright. I have seen cast piston versions for above $700 all the time. I could have picked up an H-Beam forged crank setup for a few hundred more but it was a 'big bore' 4.125" Diamond piston kit and I really don't want to spend the bucks for a Dart or Boss block for my purposes.

I still have to check and prep my 5.0 block (clean oil galleys, tap oil plugs, chamfer sharp edges, etc) and then I'll do a dry assemble to check stroker clearance needs and check deck height, etc before getting a harmonic balancer and flywheel to send off to get it all balanced.

Piece by piece... :001_cool:

-Stephen

I think the only thing that is better than collecting all these great parts is emptying the boxes one by one. Every day that I throw away an empty parts box brings a big smile to my face.

I think the only thing that is better than collecting all these great parts is emptying the boxes one by one. Every day that I throw away an empty parts box brings a big smile to my face.

yeah, i like that part a lot too. but my favorite is when that box arrives at the door and you tear it open like a kid on christmas morning

yeah, i like that part a lot too. but my favorite is when that box arrives at the door and you tear it open like a kid on christmas morning

Oh, well, that goes without saying. The only thing that shadows that is running out to the car and holding it up to where it belongs the day it arrives followed by finally installing it. Sometimes that is eclipsed by trying to hiding the box and the glee from the wife but that downside is usually temporary.:punk:

Just a little update...

Still gathering parts here and there. I did pickup a 96 Mustang 4 wheel disc master cylinder and mocked it up as can be seen in the pics. I personally like the late model units and it should not have the residual check valve for the rear discs. Plus it is much lighter than the original. I did have to grind off the nose a bit but it shold work fine. Thanks to gsxrken's post at VMF for the info.

Also received most of my fuel system this week. The system will be all -6 AN braided hose and 3/8" aluminum hard line for both supply and return. I still have to get the filter/surge tank and decide if I am going to use my old Holley blue pump for the low pressure side of the supply. The high pressure side is a Walbro 255lph inline pump. A sketch of the system is included here as well. I plan on running the supply on the passenger side and the return on the drivers side using the original fuel line routing.

I also received new floor pans and seat risers. I have to say I am impressed with Johns Mustang of Houston. I ordered the pans over the weekend and they arrived Thursday even with the monday holiday. I haven't pulled them out of the box yet but peeked in and they have nice stampings and have the flange bent up like I wanted.

ooh, lot's of nice pretty new stuff to play with. i like new stuff to play with, but haven't gotten any in a while, unless you count my new (to me) 86 lincoln town car with 75K original miles and the interior and paint job are almost perfect!!!!! and with my back problems it sure is nice to drive compared to the old 93 cherokee, which i do miss already but i think the lincoln is much nicer car overall. i have to get used to driving a tank again though, it's been a few years since i drove a tuna boat.

i've got a set of 15x7 dodge cop car wheels that i'll probably put on it instead of the stock 15x6 wheels and i'll put the stock wire hub caps back on when the new tires that are on it wear out and i'll probably put some 245/60-15's on it with blackwalls out just so it will have more rubber on the road so the brakes will work better. other than that i'm just going to put in a cd player, a keyless entry kit, which i already have, and tint the windows.

i've got a set of 15x7 dodge cop car wheels that i'll probably put on it instead of the stock 15x6 wheels and i'll put the stock wire hub caps back on when the new tires that are on it wear out and i'll probably put some 245/60-15's on it with blackwalls out just so it will have more rubber on the road so the brakes will work better. other than that i'm just going to put in a cd player, a keyless entry kit, which i already have, and tint the windows.

You know, the hubs on those are the same as the hubs on the mustang. So any wheel you bolt to your stang will bolt to your Town Car. If you want more info on the TC, come on by www.grandmarq.net.

And about the Cobra valve covers clearing the 1.7 ratio rockers. That is true, and also, the stamped steel valve covers from 86 up. They are identical to the Cobra valve covers except they don't have COBRA stapped into them. I searched for a long time for a set of stock Cobra covers, and when I fould the set they were identical to mine, so I just used mine with the 1.7 rollers.

And that Cobra oil pan is by far the coolest oil pan I have ever seen!

You know, the hubs on those are the same as the hubs on the mustang. So any wheel you bolt to your stang will bolt to your Town Car. If you want more info on the TC, come on by www.grandmarq.net.

well not exactly, the early stang wheels have a smaller center hub hole that won't fit over the lincoln hubs, at least factory wheels won't anyway. the dodge cop car wheels also have the same bolt pattern and the center hub hole is the right size to fit over the lincoln hub. besides i don't have any extra wheels from the stang that i'd want to put on the town car. the cop car wheels will work just fine and i can keep the original wire hub caps so it will still look stock. i just want a wider wheel and tire so the brakes will actually stop the car instead of just immediately locking up.

Nothing new to report on the car except I did get a air flanging tool and plan on working on finalizing floor pan installs this week.

On a side note I DID finish the GoMo Gokart project I posted here some time ago. It needs some tuning and likely killing the governor to get some speed out of it but it's pretty fun with 5 forward speeds and a reverse, rack and pinion steering and quite righly orange and black (my Son Austin actually picked out that color).

Pics from the goMo kart are here:

http://www.austinnolen.com/GoKart/2007-11-11.asp

-Stephen

Well I hope I am finally back on task on this project.

After literally no actual work for several months I spent the day taking on installing the full floor pans. For some reason this just seemed overly daunting to me. I had test fit them before and there was quite of big of trimming fitting needed.

Last weekend when I messed with it I ended up poking a hole in the headliner. Very disappointing considering the headliner was in great shape.

Anyhow.. drivers side is in and partially welded. Of course I ran out of gas while welding up.. I did get the passenger side fit for the most part. Just need to punch the holes, drill some to hold it all down and weld it up.

Anyhow.. I had to tell someone I actually got something done today.. :-)

After literally no actual work for several months I spent the day taking on installing the full floor pans. For some reason this just seemed overly daunting to me. I had test fit them before and there was quite of big of trimming fitting needed.

Last weekend when I messed with it I ended up poking a hole in the headliner. Very disappointing considering the headliner was in great shape.

Anyhow.. drivers side is in and partially welded. Of course I ran out of gas while welding up.. I did get the passenger side fit for the most part. Just need to punch the holes, drill some to hold it all down and weld it up.

sweet, i hope this is the start of bigger things to come.

sweet, i hope this is the start of bigger things to come.