Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Tremec T5, good, bad, ugly?

I was just presented with an opportunity to purchase a 37,000mi used Tremec T5 for $600 and I am wondering if that is a good price and if so what else am I going to need before I can figure out what my end cost is? Anyone done this particular swap or know why I shouldn't do it.

I am guessing that I am probably better off with a 9" rear? I figure I defintley need steeper gears than my current 2:79's on my 3spd, I'd think at least 3:55, maybe even more since I'd have an overdrive? Is it the same bolt pattern to the housing? Drive shaft length?

Honestly I kind of want to get back on the road ASAP and even though my rational side says bite the bullet and do it all now I just don't know what kind of cash I am going to have left over (if any) yet on doing what needs to be done first and I have already spent quite a bit of cash on non planned items as it is. If it is a good deal though then I feel I should at least buy and store it for future plans. Even though I am one of the few people on the planet that actually enjoys cruising with a 3spd still, parts are scarce and a change seems inevitable.

600 for a t5 doesn't sound all that good to me. if it is a tremec t5 it just means it is a newer t5, tremec bought the transmission side of borg warner but as far as i know it isn't really upgraded over an older BW t5. if it is an actual tremec design like the tr-3550 or tko 500 or tko 600 then 600 is a decent deal, but again not if it's just a t5. you can find t-5's all day long on ebay and even the good tremecs as well.

here is one that is probably identical to the one you're looking at for $400 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TREMEC-T450D-5-SPD-MANUAL-TRANS-99-04-MUSTANG-V6_W0QQitemZ8065545102QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a regular t5 from a 91 gt that is at 175.00 right now. needs a rebuild though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93-T5-trans-Ford-Mustang_W0QQitemZ8066126520QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here's a rebuilt one that's $305

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRESH-WC-T-5-T5-83-93-MUSTANG-TRANSMISSION-5SPD-NR_W0QQitemZ8066973690QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it does seem like the later model tremec versions are going for a bit more but these are all from v6 mustangs, i don't know if they upgraded these or not if they did then i guess 600 seems ok but if only if it's upgraded over a WC t5 from a v8 fox body.

Ok good to know, thanks B!!! I assumed T5 when I heard tremec, maybe it is a TKO though or one of the others, I'll check into it further. He did make a comment like it was pulled from a Cobra but he's not exactly a Ford guy so I disregarded it as more of a fools staement then a fact.

If you're going to put a T5 in get one from a 93 Cobra. Go to www.therangerstation.com and they have a whole list of T-5 part numbers, and you'll want the ones rated for 330ft-lbs. They're on ebay, but remember it's easier to swap a transmission tag than a rear end tag. Unless you know what the transmission is coming out of and you know the seller, it's worth buying one new. You'd hate to buy a 4-cyl transmission rated for 120ft-lbs but retagged as a stronger tranny. You'd probably break it the first time you punch it.

Yeah that price is no good for a used T5. You can get rebuilt T-5Z trannies which is the cobra spec ones for around $750. Pak I am going to suggest doing it now, it will be much easier, and will make the car so much more fun to drive. I just drove mine for the first time yesterday, put 50 miles on it, and all I can say is HOLY SHIT!!!! Now I know the engine was most of the difference, but the 5 speed definitely made a huge difference compared to the 3 speed I had before.

Well, it's not a matter of want, I definitley want to do it now just don't know if it will blow the budget or not. I also want to do the proper research and make sure I do it right and once. It would be great to egt some better mileage out of it if nothing else with the gas prices these days.