Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Hey, anyone here live in Oregon?

I got another call from a recruiter at Nike today and they want me to fly out for an interview next week. The last time I tried to relocate out of New England things did not go so well and that was only half way across the country, this is clear on the other coast.

All though I am due for a change I doubt severely my wife would even consider moving like that again unless it was an offer we could not refuse but I'd still like to hear what it's like out there just in case I need to start building a case.

Anyone, anyone?

hey Pak,

I had a buddy who lived in Portland, and I've been there a few times. It's a beautiful city, very clean, great public transportation, I love it. The thing is, the weather. Not as cold as New England for sure, but the number of convertible-worthy days is far shorter. You and your '69 might get Stang Affective Disorder. :smartass:

If lots of gray months don't really bother you, it's my favorite city in the country. And no sales tax is nice, especially for eating out.

I got another call from a recruiter at Nike today and they want me to fly out for an interview next week. The last time I tried to relocate out of New England things did not go so well and that was only half way across the country, this is clear on the other coast.

All though I am due for a change I doubt severely my wife would even consider moving like that again unless it was an offer we could not refuse but I'd still like to hear what it's like out there just in case I need to start building a case.

Anyone, anyone?

Well, you made the choice easy, no way in hell then. I already enjoy no state tax what so ever in New Hampshire and I live 15 miles from the beach, not gonna give that up even for low 6 figures.

"I got another call from a recruiter at Nike today and they want me to fly out for an interview next week."

Thats encouraging they're recruiting in the states instead of off-shoring the job?

That's just technical and design work though, all the manufacturing is done over seas.

Not to be a downer or anything but do they still use child labor or am I mistaken?

Have you seen the type of clothes they wear in India? I don't think any company would offshore their designing of fashion oriented product for the US and European market to a foreign country. We have designers from all around the world working for us but as long as a corporate headquarter is in the the US then all that type of work would be done from there. Only manufacturing gets off shored in most US companies. Besides that has done enough damage to the job force so why eliminate every American job you can?

Ben, I seriously doubt it with all the bad press over the years but I have no idea really what they do or allow. I can say that Timberland though has probably the strictest foreign labor laws of anyone as well as environmental protection clauses. They still make things overseas but they protect human rights at the same time over making more profit.