Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam3512

Heater Core

While my engine's out, I'm thinking about checking the heater core. The PO had spliced the heater hoses before the firewall, and I'd like to run the new ones straight through. Is it a major job to get at the heater core through the dash? I have the manual, and it looks confusing.

Well, it's not major, but it is tedious. It can be done by just removing the glove box door to access the bolts and then getting your arm in at some odd angles. Removing the upper dash will make it a bit easier though. That's why the PO spliced it in instead.

Since I only drive my car in the summer I yanked mine completely out last time it sprung a leak as I had replaced it previously already even though I never used it once. I now will use the controls space for a CD player right below the radio. I wanted it to look stock under the hood still, so instead of running a small bypass hose on the thermostat I ran like a 6 foot hose right thru the firewall and right back out again, it's still a bypass but doesn't look like one at least.

I just replaced the core and hoses on my car and rebuilt the heater box as well. To echo Pak's post, its not easy but you can do it all over a day or two. I picked up an after market heater core off ebay , 11 feet of 5/8 inch heater hose, and heater box seal set all for under $60 bucks. You must take off your dash pad, clock panel, and glove box assembly. I seperated my heater box while it was still in the dash. This allowed me to remove it in pieces Vs. unbolting my lower dash, which may have been easier. You must remove the foot duct work and the courtesy light to wiggle out the bulk of the assembly. I had a hard time getting all the clips back on around the box on the install, but everything else wasn't to bad. The benefit of having a working heater outweighed the hassle. Jim.