Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobs_mach

Correct tranny color?

Hey, does anyone know the correct color for a 69 auto tranny? Did the factory leave them natural or where they painted Ford blue like the motor? Also, what's the correct blue for 69, the light ford or dark ford blue?

Thanks guys, this is an awesome site!!!

depends on which auto you have, but mostly they were natural finish. i have seen some of the fmx transmissions with the cast iron case painted ford blue, black and just left natural cast iron. the fmx in car was originally unpainted with a blue pan.

Thanks for the info. The deal is that the car came with an FMX but I was able to find a short tail C6 to build and replace it. I know it's not original, but i was told that the FMX was questionable as a rebuild. I guess I could do natural with a clearcoat to keep it clean.

Any thoughts on the tranny swap? Good move? Bad move?

if you are putting it behind a stock or relatively stock engine the FMX is a good strong tranny, the weak link is the cast iron second gear band and the front pump, the pump only because they can be hard to find if yours is bad, if yours isn't bad then you don't have anything to worry about. i would replace the cast 2nd gear band with a steel flex band and eliminate that weak link, i wouldn't consider it absolutely necessary unless you plan on a shift kit but it's a good safety precaution anyway whether you use a shift kit or not. TCI and Art Carr make stall convertors for them as well. the FMX gets a bad rap but it's not really deserved other than the fact that it's a heavy pig but a c6 isn't that much lighter maybe 15-20 pounds. the FMX was used behind almost all 351 powered cars from 69 until about 80 or 81 when ford started using the aod. if built right the FMX will make you see god on the 1-2 shift:thumbup1: the trick is to use a good shift kit and grind the vacuum modulator rod about 1/8"

Thanks! Since I already have the C6 and had it built I will go ahead and use it. I'll keep the FMX in storage of course, as the car has all the original parts. The engine builder is shooting for about 300hp at thre rear wheels, and estimates that's about 375+ hp at the crank.

Here are some pictures of the resto - it started about 5 weeks ago....after 19 years of patient waiting!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/drgpotash/album?.dir=/35e2