Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dlinebar

Tranny install virgin

This weekend I am going to bolt the tranny to the engine and put them in the car. I have never installed a tranny before and it does not seem to hard but I have a few questions. Its a C4 tranny.

1) I read the paperwork and they say you sould stand the tranny on end (the tail piece) and bolt the bell housing on in that position with tranny vertical so you don't misalign some internal parts....its is just 4 bolts and I can't see how it could screw anything up if you did it flat.....any thoughts.

2) They warn many times to leave 1/8 gap between the flywheel and torque converter. I believe when I bolt it up this should happen by it self. If it does not should I shim under the 4 flywheel to converter bolts?

3) I want to replace the messed up original tranny lines with copper. Any issue there?

Any other words of wisdom for a first time C4 installer? As I said I plan to bolt the tranny to engine then install in car together.

Thanks

I instaled mine about 4 times last summer...:hammer:

You can bolt the bellhousing flat, I did with no problems, just make sure they are good and tight! (I used my airgun for those)

The gap they are talking about is once the torque converter is PROPERLY indexed, that is what you should have after tightening the trans to the block, then the bolts will pull the converter to the flexplate as you tighten them. It is a pain but you must rotate the engine a few times to do this so that the converter will seat inside the flexplate square.

I replaced my hoses with rubber but I do not have any miles on them yet, don't know about copper?

Make sure you have a friend to help you, I did my motor and trans together by myself and it was hard, but possible. Also make sure you lift your engine at a sharp angle from front to back to help you clear the radiator support and firewall, it is tight angle wise.

Hope that helps.:alucard:

One thing that helped me get some steep angles is to make the chains on the front of the engine tighter than the ones on the back, this way the load leveler will be able to get more angle. I could almost get mine vertical. Take it on and off the stand and experiment because you have to be able to get the engine to sit flat again so you don't want to get it in the car and realize that it is too steep to set down. Just play with it, I was able to do it very easily without jacking up the car or anything.

I don't have a leveler so that makes it easy....... Also There is about a 1 inch hole in the tail piece of the tranny (old and new tranny) it is not threaded or anything, thats that for?