Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam3512

What's this called?

On my convertible. What is the piece called that the top hooks into on the right and left side up above the windshield on the inside? My are kind of worn, and would like to replace. Again, they appear to be aluminum, and have the recess that accepts the hooks to secure the top.

That's it Pakrat, "Sunvisor brackets". Pot metal huh? Mine are pitted and a bit chipped too. What did you do? It always amazes me with all the stuff repro'd nowadays, why some stuff is not!

That's it Pakrat, "Sunvisor brackets". Pot metal huh? Mine are pitted and a bit chipped too. What did you do? It always amazes me with all the stuff repro'd nowadays, why some stuff is not!

Well, you are just going to have to wait another week or so for my next installment and then you'll have the whole process laid out for you. :cool: I am actually still in the middle of just the left one, it's not a fun task but I am very pleased with the results so far. We'll see how it looks in the end though. You likely have the same issue with the bar that connects the two together was well but this piece can easily be sanded and painted unlike the pot metal parts.

As for non repro availability get used to it when owning a small run body style like a 69 or 70 vert. Even when you look at the parts that fit on both years, we are talking like 20,000 production cars of which today how many are on the road and in need of replacements? If you still have Fords tooling to use then it makes it a little easier but the investment cost to remake the tooling just to sell what, maybe 10,000 pieces in a life time means that you would have to charge way more than a part like this is worth just to break even. That's why with over 2 million 65/66 models out there you can practically build an entire car from a catalog these days but once you get past 1968 even a popular body like the sportsroof still has specific parts that they don't make, most of the repro parts can be shared on all 3 models and that's the only reason they exist.