Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrayrob

69 "The Going Thing"

All I know is that "The Going Thing" was Ford's tag line for their advertising in 1969. I've seen it in ads for Mustangs, Fairlanes, and Torinos. If they made a special model called that, I'm unaware of it.

marti report says it was part of a local promotion called "the going thing", it was painted grabber blue(which wasn't available in 69) also no color code on door tag dso # is 322249 which was a special production car, i think there were promotional cars that were going on at the same time like "muscle parts", "the ford drag club" and "the streep scene", (thats spelled correctly)the guy i bought the car from said he seen a painting of the going thing, which was grabber blue and it had a big ford logo on the trunk deck lid

Well, it's totally new to me and I have not personally seen, read or heard anything about this before but that certainly does not make it any less real with Ford. It could have been so small that it garnered no real attention like other local promotion cars but I would think that just makes it potentially more rare. This guys website has a little info on alot of unique models long since forgoten, I would consider contacting him: http://www.limited600mustang.com/ and you may also want to look around the Mustang Source and talk to Brad the owner, he has tons of vintage info on his site and old ads and what not. Believe me I wish we had the answer here and I don't want you to really go elsewhere but I'm curious what you might be able to dig up. Good luck.

marti report says it was part of a local promotion called "the going thing", it was painted grabber blue(which wasn't available in 69) also no color code on door tag dso # is 322249 which was a special production car, i think there were promotional cars that were going on at the same time like "muscle parts", "the ford drag club" and "the streep scene", (thats spelled correctly)the guy i bought the car from said he seen a painting of the going thing, which was grabber blue and it had a big ford logo on the trunk deck lid
May we see the Marti Report,Id love to look into this but a Marty report will help me.

There is a guy close to where I live that has one of these. He bought the car new and it has been going through a complete nut and bolt restoration. I believe he recently finished it and I think he has it at Carlisle this weekend.

There is a guy close to where I live that has one of these and he bought it brand new. It has been going through a complete bolt and nut restoration and I believe it has been recently completed. I believe he took it to Carlisle this weekend.

Here is an old thread on the VMF, with some phone numbers and email addys for people that have info: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/580234-1969-going-thing-mustangs-info-request-2.html

Here is a nice list of those special edition mustangs: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1210_special_edition_ford_mustangs/viewall.html

It may take us 7 years or so but eventually we come up with the answer on everything '69 & '70! LOL

Too bad the original poster hasn't been back since, maybe he'll get a reply prompt in his email and wonder WTF is going on. :w00t:

It may take us 7 years or so but eventually we come up with the answer on everything '69 & '70! LOL

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :detective:

But if Autofix is still reading this thread, I'd be interested in hearing more about the car you mentioned. I think they were only sold through the Cleveland DSO and specifically at Thompson Dragstrip. I would love to see one up close and personal if the guy ever shows it or cruises it.

You guys might remember my thread I made when looking for more info. I found these guys. One owns the car above and one owns the blue one that posted in my Vintage Mustang thread that someone linked above.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=9626

This is what mine would have looked like.

whitegoingthing_zpsc20541c2.jpg

This is the other blue one. SO far just a couple found.... When you compare them to the Twister Mustangs of 1970. Its amazing, how different they turned out. Same history , being sold at the track. Same numbers sold (100). One the first, one the last offering. Yet, there are TONS more twisters surviving.

2012-11-13_10-50-53_4822_zps588b7d13.jpg

I thought they made far more Twisters than 100, but in researching, I am wrong.

There is a local guy that just picked one up, almost a barn find, and suspected it would be a twister by the color, but didn't know until he ran the Marti. The KC DSO sold them to all parts in the region, and many of the people in Kansas and Oklahoma would remove the Twister decals. Apparently, tornadoes are not a frivolous matter in Tornado alley, and some of the new owners didn't see the humor in it.

I am working on producing a history of Tasca Ford right now, and Bob Tasca had a huge hand in making the Twisters even exist.

From Mustang Monthly

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1210_special_edition_ford_mustangs/viewall.html

'69 Going Thing

In May 1969, Ford held an All-Ford Performance Day at Thompson Dragway in eastern Ohio to showcase Ford's performance cars, the Ford Drag Team, and the region's new special edition Mustangs and Torinos. The "Going Thing" Mustangs were painted Grabber Blue (which didn't become readily available until '70) with white stripes similar to the Boss 302 C-stripe but with "The Going Thing" reversed out along the bottom. They also included the Mustang's top performance packages with 428 CJ and 351 four-barrel engines. It has not been determined how many were built. They can be identified by a blank color code and a DSO code of 32-2249. They may have been available in red as well, but that has yet to be confirmed.

Read more: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1210_special_edition_ford_mustangs/viewall.html#ixzz2ful1hzOx

I am working on producing a history of Tasca Ford right now, and Bob Tasca had a huge hand in making the Twisters even exist.

Tasca was at this event. There are pics of all the "big guys" there.

The Mustang was written before they knew about the Red and white cars. The red and white cars being harder to verify since they were not a special order paint code.

FWIW.... there were also Cobra's (Torino) in the same package.