Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkBuddha

So I was thinkin'...

Well, since seeing my Mach in Tampa in December, I've been thinking about adding a bit more visual impact... My brother has a heavily modified 240SX (JDM redtop turbo conversion, etc.) that he did cheap 2 tone job on, with flat black on top. Well, I was inspired so I thought I'd photochop a couple versions of my own Mach 1. The best one I came up with was this one... whatch'all think?

machtutonerenderingcopy0tk.jpg

Ok... I tried lowering the paint line below the upper body line and it looks ok for the front half of the car, but it looks peculiar at the rear quarter. I think the trick would be to do some sort of graphic where the transition into the quarter panel to obscure the change in the paint line. When I get a few minutes I'll see if I can get something good.

I'm gonna say the dreaded word. But what about a two tone split like the "chevys'. You know how it starts high, then gradually drops towards the rear half of the car, and then skips up to the rear close to the top of the quarter. Obviously without those big chrome 'dividers'. Maybe a ghost or blend between the two.

I was thinking the same thing. Been looking at the 69 Camaros over on Pro-Touring.com lately? hehe

Overall I think it is a nice departure from all the stock paintjobs that the cars are getting. I like the blacked-out look, but I would suggest a red or even a blue (!) pinstripe between the black and gold. I say blue because you do see a lot of red pinstripes, and a nice medium blue would be something different.

Well im going to paint my mustang like this and will post pics in a couple of months once its done. I will be using a black on top blue on the bottom and a silver stripe in between the two colors. Also I will have Black boyd coddignton smotthie II wheels. 18x9 in the back with a polished lip and 17x8 in the front. I am wating to get a cowl hood and the shelby trunk lid before painting it.

This is a 5 year old thread now, but I thought I'd drag it back up since I was reminded by a google search about it today. In any case, I never did the two tone thing... and maybe for good reason. I found this today on the same search:

1562.jpg

And I don't really like it. This car sold at B-J last month (on day 6) for $34k. I can't help but wonder if they saw this thread before deciding on that paint job. I still think it would've looked better with black on the bottom and the gold on top, but that's for someone else to do. Now I'm thinking of going more towards something like this:

img06263.jpg

:devil:

This is a 5 year old thread now, but I thought I'd drag it back up since I was reminded by a google search about it today. In any case, I never did the two tone thing... and maybe for good reason. I found this today on the same search:

1562.jpg

And I don't really like it. This car sold at B-J last month (on day 6) for $34k. I can't help but wonder if they saw this thread before deciding on that paint job. I still think it would've looked better with black on the bottom and the gold on top, but that's for someone else to do. Now I'm thinking of going more towards something like this:

img06263.jpg

:devil:

I like it, kinda old school-ish. I really like the 68-69 Vette side pipes too. just don't do the bolt on style flares......get some Maier Racing flares and bond them on then paint 'em body color and throw on a set of 15x8 and 15x10 Ansen slot mags or some of the new Cragars that they just re-issued :biggrin:

I'm gonna go 80's retro with the Cougar myself. my Riken mesh wheels, the Hone-O-Drive I bought a few years ago, my Ford Muscle Parts intake and maybe a set of Thrush side pipes or something......:wheelchair:....hahaha LOL. It's gonna be like high school all over again

Hey Brian! I'm not surprised you get it... it must be a generational thing. Anwyay, the 'vette style sidepipes were a photochop convenience. I actually still have the original vintage Thrush sidepipes that were on my Mach when I bought it, so I'll probably just blast those and paint 'em with some high heat "oven" black. As for the flares, I've always liked the Maier style, but they're kinda big and fit differently. And actually, I really like the rivet-on fender flare look... it's got a no-nonsense, don't-sweat-it look, I really dig. Anyway, I'll probably bond them rather than actually rivet them on so that I can change back if I want.

As for wheels, I'm a bit torn. Part of me really wants a set of 17" TeamIII Halibrand or Minilite replicas, but they're kinda pricey. So I'm considering either 17" Cragar D windows ($80 for 17x9) like in the pic or trying to find a set of vintage 15" turbines. I have a set of 15x8 slots laying around, but I didn't like the look when I photochop'd it.

BTW... how is the Cougar going? I remember you were doing an '80s retro canyon carver thing. It's funny you mention the Rikens. I had a set (fox body 4 lug), and still have 3 sets of Enkei 92 meshs for my XR4TI.

hey, you know Enkei is bringing that style wheel back, right? they re-intro'd them at SEMA this year. and retro wheel styles are starting to come back big time. Team III/ET has a couple new (old?) styles and US wheel just got bought back by the original owner and they are doing some old style wheels now too not to mention the retro Cragars i really like that they are doing the old GT styles....both of them actually....why they had to have THREE different wheels called the GT I'll never know but hey to each their own I guess.

the Coug is still sitting and waiting on me to sell the stang but i'm still collecting parts when I can. I've got the Hone-O-Drive, the Rikens, the FMP intake, an actual 58 Autolite 4100 with the 1.19 venturis which makes it like a 650-700 cfm carb and I've rebuilt it so it looks concours but I've modified it a bit by polishing the venturis, adding larger needles and seats from an AFB/edelbrock style carb drilling some extra holes in the emulsion tubes and drilling out the squirter holes. I'm going to get one of the new Summit carbs so I can rob the venturi clusters out of it and use them in the carb since they replaceable idle and high speed air bleeds too.

I got one the Borgeson integral power steering boxes for it, some ORP roller perches, some Quickor 1" front and 3/4" rear sway bars and a Moog adjustable lower ball joint kit and a set of Comteition Engineering SFC's and I'm gonna get John to build some custom roller control arms for my coilover front shock conversion plus I think I'm gonna run a TCP G-Bar out back too. I'm gonna try to run the exhaust over the axle and out the back but if I can't get it around the G-Bar then I may go with the side pipes.

inside I'm gonna have my 86 mustang GT buckets recovered with blue and black houndstooth using the TMI reto mach 1 seat cover set, TMI does custom stuff if you ask them so that should be pretty easy. I've had a 6 button Alpine deck forever that I'm gonna put in it and I've got a couple of old Alpine and Coustic amps too. I've also got a rear defogger and a couple of different switches, the regular 69 Mustang/Cougar style switch and I've got a 70 cougar XR7 switch that mounts up in the convenience switch panel on the dash. I have a 68 Mustang overhead console for it as well but I'm gonna have to extend it and send to Just Dashes to have it recovered since the Cougar roof is longer than a Mustangs.

Outside the body is gonna stay pretty stock except for an Eliminator hood scoop and front spoiler and I think I'm gonna get a luggage rack for it too just to mess with peoples' heads....:w00t: I'll probably have 2 sets of wheels though, the Rikens and either a set of 68/69 GT wheels or a set the 69 XR7 wheels, either way they'll be 15x7's and the Rikens are 15x7 and 15x8. I've been doing some hunting for high performance tires and I haven't much luck other then the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires so I'll probably run those on the Riken and some Radial T/A's on the steel wheels but I've also been thinking about getting some kind of 70's or 80's vintage wheels of some sort and throw a set of Pro-Tracs on them just for fun.....:thumbup::drool:

Sounds like a plan! The Hone-o-drive is neat and unusual feature. Just don't frag it... I hear replacement parts are DIY only.

And isn't ironic how the old cheap stuff has become cool again. I mean seriously, even when we were young, that stuff was starting to be dated but it was still cool. But that is exactly why we started buying it: it was cool and it was cheap! Now that stuff is "vintage" and "retro" and cool again, but it ain't cheap anymore. Reconditioned vintage sets of Enkei 92s sell for $500-$900 a set. I'm hoping the re-release of 'em will calm prices down, but last I heard the re-release is only going to be 15x7s & 15x8s in 4x114.5 and 4x100... no 5 lug and no 4x108 (fox body pattern). 2 of my sets are 16x7s and all of 'em are 4x108.

But deals are still out there... just recently I had lines on cheap vintage sets of 15x8 deep offset Western turbines and American Racing Vectors, but had to pass due to not having the expendable cash at the time. Now I'm kicking myself for not scaring up the $75 or $100 that would've gotten me either set. :(

Sounds like a plan! The Hone-o-drive is neat and unusual feature. Just don't frag it... I hear replacement parts are DIY only.

And isn't ironic how the old cheap stuff has become cool again. I mean seriously, even when we were young, that stuff was starting to be dated but it was still cool. But that is exactly why we started buying it: it was cool and it was cheap! Now that stuff is "vintage" and "retro" and cool again, but it ain't cheap anymore. Reconditioned vintage sets of Enkei 92s sell for $500-$900 a set. I'm hoping the re-release of 'em will calm prices down, but last I heard the re-release is only going to be 15x7s & 15x8s in 4x114.5 and 4x100... no 5 lug and no 4x108 (fox body pattern). 2 of my sets are 16x7s and all of 'em are 4x108.

But deals are still out there... just recently I had lines on cheap vintage sets of 15x8 deep offset Western turbines and American Racing Vectors, but had to pass due to not having the expendable cash at the time. Now I'm kicking myself for not scaring up the $75 or $100 that would've gotten me either set. :(

ooohhh man that sucks, I know prices are getting high on all the 70's and 80's vintage stuff now the 60's stuff has been getting Barrett Jackson prices for a long time so no surprise there.

I've been looking for a set of cheap Rikens for a while or at least another pair of 15x8's anyway. I'd really like to run 15x8 up front and 15x9 out back with a set of Mickey T Sportsman SR tires, 26x10.00 up front and 26x12.00 out back. If I do that I'll have to do some front fender trimming though but I think a small pie cut on the front edge of the fender lip should do it and not be too hard to make it look totally stock. One of the things I love about the Cougar is the bigger rear wheelwells, I used to run a 275/50-15 on the back of my old 70 Coug and didn't even have to roll the fender lip like I did on the stang and the fit perfect on the back of the 69 Coug as well. I will say the stang has larger front wheelwells though but not by much though.

The Hone-O should be fine since I'm only expecting the windsor to be putting out somewhere between 375-400hp and I don't plan on doing much drag racing with it. Hell, Joel Rosen was putting them behind 500-550hp big block chev's on a regular basis and they seemed to hold up just fine so I doubt that even 400hp will kill it but if something does happen to it most of the internals are from 60's borg warner overdrive manual trannys, and I think the planetary set is from a turbo 400 IIRC, so replacement parts shouldn't be that difficult to come by.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!! I just checked Enkei's website and they are making the 92's in 5x114.3 which is the same as 5x4.5 bolt pattern, they are only making 15x7 and 15x8 but I'm okay with that. you did the cobra disc conversion right? So they wouldn't work for you but maybe they'll start making other sizes if sales on these sizes are good.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!! I just checked Enkei's website and they are making the 92's in 5x114.3 which is the same as 5x4.5 bolt pattern, they are only making 15x7 and 15x8 but I'm okay with that. you did the cobra disc conversion right? So they wouldn't work for you but maybe they'll start making other sizes if sales on these sizes are good.

The last time I checked they weren't doing 5 lug versions, so that is good news! And actually I haven't converted the fronts to Cobra brakes yet, so they'd still be a option. That said, I do wanna step up the front brakes a bit... maybe do a custom 12" Coleman rotor with a separate hub and some Wilwood calipers... essentially the same thing that's on the front of my XR. But I'm okay running 17s if I have to, as long as I can find 17s I like and can afford (like the D windows).

And...

Actually, that's basically the same as blue & silver combo from the car at B-J, and I still don't like it. Maybe it's just a bad idea afterall. :hammer:

Maybe it's just a bad idea afterall. :hammer:

Ding ding ding!

When I was a kid I used to think that billboards would look kinda cool though or even a stripe around the whole nose or a bumble bee stripe that ties into the rear spoiler.

The last time I checked they weren't doing 5 lug versions, so that is good news! And actually I haven't converted the fronts to Cobra brakes yet, so they'd still be a option. That said, I do wanna step up the front brakes a bit... maybe do a custom 12" Coleman rotor with a separate hub and some Wilwood calipers... essentially the same thing that's on the front of my XR. But I'm okay running 17s if I have to, as long as I can find 17s I like and can afford (like the D windows).

Actually ABS Power Brake is now making billet K/H style 4 piston calipers like the big t-birds, lincolns and galaxies used and they'll sell a pair of calipers, pads and the T/A Boss style brackets for about $750 then you just need to add the correct #6008 68 galaxie style rotors, mustang hubs and brake lines to finish the job which will get you out the door for under $1000 total, not bad for a big 12x1.25 T/A Boss 302 style front brake setup, then add the Master Power big 11x2.5" rear drum brake setup and you'll basically have what the ford teams used in 68 and early 69 until they started using rear discs.

But if you have the drums and backing plates drilled they'll work even better especially with the ceramic shoes MP uses on the rear. Better yet you could upgrade the rear shoes and hardware to the Praise Dyno Brake "Trick" rear brake upgrade kit with better ceramic shoes, larger wheel cylinders and their "trick" heavy spring upgrade. I think they even make a ceramic D-1 style pad for the 12" front brakes as well.

I'm definitely gonna do rear discs... I've already got all the stuff for the Ultrastang Lincoln Mk VII conversion.

As for the fronts, I think I can spec a kit for less than $1000 using meaty Coleman rotors and a custom hat. Then I just need to find a caliper to use... PBRs maybe? The kit on my XR was 100% custom, including having the Coleman rotors turned down to fit under a 15" gravel rally wheel, and even with custom stainless hoses they were only $800:

IMG_1693_small.jpg

Well that's why i mentioned the ABS Power Brake setup, it uses the 12"x1.25" big Galaxie rotors and the calipers are reproductions of the Big Lincoln/T-bird 4 piston K/H pieces just like what the Boss 302 T/a cars used except the ABS Brake repro calipers are actually aluminum instead of the original cast iron ones. I've also found a place on EBAY that sells the Galaxie rotors in cross-drilled and slotted and zinc washed too for around $100 pair. The galaxie rotor is a 2 piece hat style rotor with a seperate hub so you'll need either an original drum hub or a an original disc brake hub depending on whose kit you go with (ABS, Cobra Auto, Street or Track, etc)

That's the setup I'm gonna use up front for sure and out back I'm either gonna use the MP brakes 11x2.5 rear drums with the Praise Dyno "Trick" kit upgrade or I'm gonna use a set of the new Wilwood 11" rear discs with the drum style parking brake for the small bearing ford axle.

I've thought about using Wilwoods up front too but I'm really trying to stay retro or Old School with this one, it just seems more fun to me using vintage style stuff. I'm also trying to keep kind of a sleeper type vibe to the Cougar, so nothing that is newer than mid-late 80's vintage "type" technology is going on the car. I've also done some homework and found old 60's and 70's hot rods and race cars that were using coilovers, triagulated 4 links, 4 wheel discs and even Billet aluminum parts as far back as the mid 60's I even have some late 60's/early 70's car mags with ads for different Billet parts, like rocker arms, coilover shocks and other stuff that just totally blew me away, I've even got articles with engine build-ups using roller cams and roller rockers and there was even an aftermarket variable cam timing kit called Vari-Cam that used a spring loaded cam gear that would retard the cam at higher RPM's......Now that totally blew my mind whan I found that ad.