Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70vert

POST UGLY '69-70s HERE!

No doubt there always has been and always will be a lot of irresponsible owners behind the wheels of muscle cars. Probably even more so today with those that don't get familliar with the car first and experience the culure shock of all the go with a lot less whoa compared to their usual modern car driving habits. Even when you have upgraded to modern components you just can't be doing 85 on the highway making fast lane changes and tailgating while texting and sipping a big gulp. Something bad always happens and sometimes it's just as much the attention you draw from other drivers who are now watching you instead of where they are going.

Another reminder to be safe. A 17-year-old in my neck of the woods was killed in this 1973 Mustang. These old V8's are so much fun but it's a double edge sword....

I found some info about this accident.

1973 Mustang Totaled In Fatal Medina County Crash Today

http://www.buckeyestangs.com/vb/showthread.php?27082-1973-Mustang-Totaled-In-Fatal-Medina-County-Crash-Today&p=326440

Patrol: Both teen drivers at fault in double fatal crash in Medina County

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/patrol%3A-both-teen-drivers-at-fault-in-double-fatal-crash

Sad suff! I'm sure I'll upgrade to a 3 point seatbelt after reading this.

Another reminder to be safe. A 17-year-old in my neck of the woods was killed in this 1973 Mustang. These old V8's are so much fun but it's a double edge sword....

I found some info about this accident.

1973 Mustang Totaled In Fatal Medina County Crash Today

http://www.buckeyestangs.com/vb/showthread.php?27082-1973-Mustang-Totaled-In-Fatal-Medina-County-Crash-Today&p=326440

Patrol: Both teen drivers at fault in double fatal crash in Medina County

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/patrol%3A-both-teen-drivers-at-fault-in-double-fatal-crash

Sad suff! I'm sure I'll upgrade to a 3 point seatbelt after reading this.

A good example of why vintage cars (no matter what make) are not good first cars for teen drivers. The driver of the car that was hit by the Mustang was the one that died. The Mustang driver survived, but with facial injuries. Look at the windshield.

You know, I get so tired of people saying that. First off, if you did hit the deer, you stand a great chance of having a deer in you lap, which isn't a much better situation.

Secondly, when you top a hill, and a deer takes a leaping bound out in front of you, seemingly from nowhere, any persons normal reaction is to instantly swerve.

I find it very hard to believe that any person in their classic Mustang, is going to just plow through a deer without attempting to miss it.

You're right. Most people would swerve in hope that missing the dear would produce a better outcome. But in this case, I cant help but wonder how bad it could've been if he had just hit the deer. I suppose the heavy deer could've gone through the windshield and killed the driver. In which case, its obvious he made the right choice lol. But I guess we'll never know.

Yeah, I've often wondered the same. I apologize if I got defensive over it, but I've heard people say that for the last 10 years. That car was my baby. It was original white on white, with deluxe interior, 351W, FMX, P/S, A/C, and it had been repainted, but was technically unrestored. The interior was all original, and when I tore the matching numbers 351 down, all the bearings were standard, and it was standard bore. I even had the factory wheel covers, intake, carb, and exhaust manifolds in my garage.

I never drove the car in the rain, or the dark, but I got stuck doing both that night by circumstance, and that's what happened. I still look back and think if I hit the deer, the car would have likely been repairable, but after hitting a small embankment, which caused the car to go end over end, it was not repairable. At least not within my abilities.

Nothing I can do about it now. It was just a reflex that I was lucky to walk away from with fairly minor injuries.

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

Oh Deer,,

Ford Mustang, A Classic Car. A car barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best classic car. The Ford Mustang will be that car. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

-Oscar Goldman

People can say they would keep going straight all they want. The truth of the matter is until you're stuck in that situation, you have no idea how you would react. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback from behind a keyboard.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice, it never fails, and you'll see why:

When you see the deer in the road, aim for the tail. You don't have to drive off of the road to avoid it. Just give it a chance to follow it's instincts.

Yeah, I've often wondered the same. I apologize if I got defensive over it, but I've heard people say that for the last 10 years. That car was my baby. It was original white on white, with deluxe interior, 351W, FMX, P/S, A/C, and it had been repainted, but was technically unrestored. The interior was all original, and when I tore the matching numbers 351 down, all the bearings were standard, and it was standard bore. I even had the factory wheel covers, intake, carb, and exhaust manifolds in my garage.

I never drove the car in the rain, or the dark, but I got stuck doing both that night by circumstance, and that's what happened. I still look back and think if I hit the deer, the car would have likely been repairable, but after hitting a small embankment, which caused the car to go end over end, it was not repairable. At least not within my abilities.

Nothing I can do about it now. It was just a reflex that I was lucky to walk away from with fairly minor injuries.

I can completly sympathize with you. My circumstances may have been totally different and involving a fast and furious ricer punk instead of a defenseless deer but nothing is more heart wrenching than to lose your almost completely original survivor car, your passion, your baby to circumstances you had no control over even when you walk away from it. Fortunately I was able to rebuild mine (and still am for 6 years now) and make a restomod out of it but that fact that it survived so long just to get totaled on my watch is something I still have a hard time getting over, especially since there are a lot of factors of which if any single one had been different than I would not have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.