Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bnickel

Virtual Build: Vote on the build style

I voted for other, so here's my description: something somewhere between custom, street rod, and race car... you know... section the body a little, chop the top an inch or 2, a little aero work, maybe flare the fenders, go with a Yates headed NASCAR spec motor hooked to a 6 speed... the kind of thing that can perform on the track or in dry lakes racing, but just plain scary on the street, like some sort of automotive demon cast out of hell. :twisted:

I voted for other, so here's my description: something somewhere between custom, street rod, and race car... you know... section the body a little, chop the top an inch or 2, a little aero work, maybe flare the fenders, go with a Yates headed NASCAR spec motor hooked to a 6 speed... the kind of thing that can perform on the track or in dry lakes racing, but just plain scary on the street, like some sort of automotive demon cast out of hell. :twisted:

I was originally thinking restomod until I read DB's post, now all I can say is (voice of eight or nine year old boy) "I wanna drive it, I wanna drive it", I voted along with DB.

To clarify a bit more, the only part I don't like about the post is the chopping, I also haven't seen any that I like either, but the whole nascar, demon out of hell part works for me. I would not want to see a blower sticking out the hood because that detracts from the visual lines of the car which obviously is one of the things we all like about mustangs. The magazines are all loaded with restomods or Pro-touring that can be done, how about taking it a step further.

so kind of a trans am kind thing huh? sort of? i was thinking of adding a street trans am option into the mix, but decided it could fit into the pro touring category if we wanted to do one. i don't about the topped chop, sectioning thing though, i've never been of a fan of that kind of stuff personally. if anyone wants to do a custom the other category would work well. i guess i've just so many customs that looked half assed abortions is why i'm kind of turned off to customs. not to say that the workmanship and creativity is not awesome on some of them, i just don't think classic mustangs look good as customs

Yeah, I knew some folks might be hesitant about the chop and channel, but I was thinking really mild kinda stuff... maybe an inch or 2 chop and lay back the windshield a few degrees... subtle, not cartoonish. Yeah, I was definitely thinking street trans am meets custom. I know this might bend some folks one way or the other, but this is a quicky vague version of the idea:

69coupegtcopy8tg.jpg

i wish someone made the gt wheels that big, then i'd probably go with a 17" wheel. my plan right now is to get some of those in a 15x8. that doesn't look bad actually i kinda like the way the windshield is laid back

I agree... stock style wheels in larger sizes would be nice. Heck, I'm just glad someone is finally making real slotted style aluminum wheels in 17s and 18s now.

As I said, subtle with the body mods and it still looks good without being cartoonish. Some might ask "is it really worth the effort?"... I think it can give it some extra attitude and make it a bit unique. But what we don't want is another one like this, even if I do think it's pretty cool:

ewwwwwstang21gk.jpg

hey DB i think you've been driving that little nissan sentra? for way too long, time to get some real muscle under your butt again. LOL

Sigh... I know you're right... it's a Corolla BTW, and I just spent $500 to have it detailed and tinted for the wife's birthday. The good news is that I did get to work on Mach for a whole week when I was on vacation a couple weeks ago... I even got to drive it a whole 1/2 mile too! Ever since, I've been completely depressed every time I drive the Corolla... sigh... :(

yeh sometimes its hard to wait, but should be worth it in the long run. At least thats what i keep saying. Its been about 5 months or so since ive got to really drive my car. But coming here and seeing other peoples cars helps keep my motivated. Probably have a cheese grin for a week or so once i get it back on the road and completed. :)

ok guys let's decide how we're going to build 69GT's car

I voted Resto mod. It is a much more easily accessible venue to pursue on such things as pricing and maybe even places we could order stuff from, not all custom stuff none of us will ever see. Classic resto is too defined and means that we get all "stock" components. Not much imagination there. My idea of resto-mod is slightly beefed up, but driveable motor, good suspension for the streets, clean interior, unique (but not ricey) paint job, New wheels, tires, upgraded brakes, etc.

heres what I think would be cool...on packrats visual mockup take the second car down...paint it flat black, put supercharged 5.4 liter DOHC Lightning motor in it, Side exit exhaust..T56 6 speed... make it breathe fire if you know what I mean...and take it to a local import night and make the kids cry...MUAHAHAHAA...oh yeah and whoever did that to the car in Darkbuddha's post needs to be shot...