Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69mach1t5

Brake propor, Valve

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Help me out here, are you doing a power brake conversion or are you going from drum to disc?? Drum to disc requires a different prop valve; simply going from non power to power you won't need to change your plumbing except to add the booster.

I'm a little confused as well. I'm currently doing a front end restore and had drum brakes. I'm converting to 70 spindles but the car had a dual reservoir master cylinder. Is there a different proportioning valve on drum versus disc? I think its the same? My other question is did ford have spec out 69 mustangs with manual disc brakes? Reason I'm asking is I thinking of adding a power booster on this project at a later time but am concern about stopping power when I need it. I read somewhere that you can use a maverick non-power MC with bigger bores but if ford had spec out non-power disc brakes then the current MC should work. Anyhow for those how have manual tranny's I did find out that bendix does have a power booster kit that dosen't require a pedal change and that the other brand booster do. Due to the after market disc kit pressure requirements. I can get away with the bendix booster kit cause I'm using OEM 70 disc brakes for my conversion so I'm told.

what i still don't get is why you think you need to change the valve with the current one in the car?? manual and power disc had same valving.

but that will fit and work fine in your desired set-up. just clean it out well.

I'm a little confused as well. I'm currently doing a front end restore and had drum brakes. I'm converting to 70 spindles but the car had a dual reservoir master cylinder. Is there a different proportioning valve on drum versus disc? I think its the same? My other question is did ford have spec out 69 mustangs with manual disc brakes? Reason I'm asking is I thinking of adding a power booster on this project at a later time but am concern about stopping power when I need it. I read somewhere that you can use a maverick non-power MC with bigger bores but if ford had spec out non-power disc brakes then the current MC should work. Anyhow for those how have manual tranny's I did find out that bendix does have a power booster kit that dosen't require a pedal change and that the other brand booster do. Due to the after market disc kit pressure requirements. I can get away with the bendix booster kit cause I'm using OEM 70 disc brakes for my conversion so I'm told.

Sorry to assist in fastback40 hijack this thread, but here goes...in order of questions in your paragraph....

All '69s had duel masters. There were added valves for a disc verses a drum set-up. The distribution valve was the same though. Don’t know what you mean by spec, can you be more specific?? And on the last part about pressure, pressure doesn't change with bore size volume does, it's proporiate to the amount of driver input(larger bore, same driver input=higher line pressure). You can tell what the brakes are from from the casting numbers on the back side of the spindle. Also, there is a difference in distribution and proportioning valves, sounded to me you were think these were the same.

Interesting then I may be in the same boat as the original poster. I'm assuming then ford only made drums or disc brakes. So everyone with non-power disc brakes would have been drums at one time? If so what your saying is that the proportioning valve is different between the two versons even though they used the same dual MC? I know there's different version boosters from bendix anyway. Seems like alot of confusion for disc wanta be's. You right I should have use the term volume instead of pressure. The casting on the spindles are stock 70's stang and from what I'm being told is I can use a particular booster that dosen't require a whole peddle assembly swap where as if I used an after market setup. It would require the change. You guy's are in the know better then me.

I looked at car more carefully and , your right Trinity the picture of the valve i posted is the same anyways,I just didnt reconize it because they had it mounted differently because of the line lock,Thanks Trinity!!!

Well I'll be damn my prop valve is different...well looks like I'll be hunting for the same thing you have since I'm finishing my front end rebuild along with a disc conversion. If'n I can't find one you(69mach1t5) willing to part with your spare? Looks like I won't be doing any car shows this weekend...bummer.

Seatbelts? Who still using seatbelts? Got an old set of front drum brakes I just aquired. Actually I have a granada proportioning valve coming today. Couldn't wait. Thanks for replying back.