Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mudflap

1969 Grande

Have a problem,

Just bought a Grande. When you turn the key to start the car it starts fine but as soon as you put the key back into the run position, the car shuts off! Any ideas. New to this site and appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Chuck :?

You should not have to ever "put the key back into the run position" it should go there all by itself once you stop applying pressure so is it possible that you are actually putting it into off or did you not actually mean "put"? It could be any number of things but I thought I'd clarify first what exactly you are doing when it occurs.

Could be an "open" in the resistor wire that feeds the coil in the "run" position. When cranking, the coil gets a full 12v feed from the starter relay to induce a higher secondary voltage to aid in cold start-ups. When in "run", the coil is fed reduced voltage (easier on the points...) via a resistor wire.

Just a thought...

Yes,

What I meant is the key goes back to run... Thought it may be a bad ballast resistor but not sure. Ordered one from Jegs to see, they are pretty cheap. Any good web sites that yall know of for ordering parts. Just bought my car and I am new to this.

Thanks,

Chuck

if the ignition wiring is stock you don't need to run an external ballast resistor. i had one on my car for a while and i had a strting problem as well, pretty close to what you describe except i would turn the key to the start position and the car would not start until i released it to the run position.