Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swede_Mach1

Buying a 69 Mach1

Hi , new here.

I am thinking of buying a 69 Mach 1, I am new to Mustangs so are there any tips of things I should look for when looking at one. Especially RUST, MOTOR and GEARBOX.

My problem , well apart from my lack of knowledge is I live in Sweden and the car I am going to look at is in ENGLAND so I am trying to get as much information as I can BEFORE i go over there and buy it with my heart not my head.

I really need some help so please any and all would be appreciated.

Oh, How do I tell if it is a REAL Mach 1?

Thankyou

Rick

Besides rust look at how complete your car is. I can't begin to tell you about searching,finding,replacing,redoing & restoring parts. A complete car saves time alone on reaching goals-But if you have the cash do it "BIG". As far as styles the 69 mustang sportsroof(FB) is a street beast like no other. Rust spots to look for: underneath and check floors look at the rockers panels,lower quarters, corners on doors, trunk floors & tail light panel from underneath. The front bumper mounting areas, all shock tower areas-one tip is placing your hands on the tower where the inner & outer sheet metals connect and feel to see how stiff they are. the uni-bodys strenth is here and in the fire wall so wavy panels demand replacement. Look for flaws all over. These things add up and take time. Good luck I love seeing these car on the road.

I would think running the numbers on the data plate (on drivers door jam) or the VIN # would let you know if it's a real MACH. Have the owner email you this and it can easily be checked on the net.

I also agree w/castillo,crawl alover that thing before you purchase it.

Good luck, good to see mustangs on the other side of the pond as they say.

Is it right hand drive?

The 9 indicates the year 1969. The 02 indicates the sports roof.The M code tells you that the car was built with the 290hp 351 Windsor 4V engine. Is the car manual or auto? 4 speed cars are worth more. These are great cruzers. Craw inder the car and look at the back of the front frame rails. These cars tend to rust here( around the turque box) There have been a ton of new parts (Reproduction)for these cars lately:D Good luck

Thanks

Looks like I will be getting dirty looking everywhere, It is a manual but it has a THRUSTER gearbox :? I havent heard of that, does anyone know of them? I have been looking over this side of the pond as if I import one from The US I must pay 38% (roughly) tax on the purchise price :cry: so it will work out much cheaper for me, this is still going to cost me in USD $15 000.00. For a car which prob cost 10 - 11000 bucksOh well such is life.Is there any way to see if it is a MACH 1? I knew from the VIN numbers that it was a 69 fastback with a 351 ???Or does it cost so much more to copy so not worth the trouble?

Thanks again

You might want to get a Marti Report. Kevin has the old Ford data base, he is lincensed thru Ford. This will tell you every thing you need to know from the vin #. It wil tell you the date of production to color codes and options or that car. I'm not sure of the turn around time. As for the trans. I thought all Machs got the top loaders close or wide ratio.

MARTI AUTO WORKS

EL MIRAGE,AZ 85335

(623)-935-2558

(623)-935-2579 FAX

All I can give you is information for U.S. Mach 1s, Ford changed things around when the Mustang was exported, so this info may not match what you'll see. You mentioned the door tag is missing, that's one of the best ways to tell, code 63C was used in 69 for the Mach1. A Marti report will tell you for sure, but if you can't get right away there's a couple of other things you can check. All Mach1s had these, they are part of the GT package and standard for Mach1s: Dual exhaust cutouts, front sway bar, heavy duty springs, rear sway bar. Also look for a deluxe interior, high bucket seats, woodgrain panels, round passenger side clock. Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheo

It has the wood surround and the clock with the tag MACH 1 under.

How do I tell if it has a delux interior ? It has black bucket seats with a red stripe running horizontally high up on the seat and heavy duty springs?

Also how do i add a pic if I dont have it on a website, maybe its better to see than i try to write lol?

Thanks for all the help .

I have a Marti report done, well orderered but he emailed me and said it WAS a Mach 1, so THANKS to all the help, now keep your fingers crossed for me,as I will be going to ENGLAND to check it out in 3 weeks.

THANKS again :D