Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solo2

A newbie with lots of questions

I want to introduce myself a newbie here but maybe the oldest and longest person to own a ’69 stang this is on this forum. I purchased her back in ’78 for $800. A 354-4V Sportsroof, after 3 years and tons of junk yards and swap meets she underwent a 100% total frame up restoration using nothing but NOS C9Z parts and other ‘69/’70 Mustang parts. Its is funny that the only aftermarket support back in that day was your local junk yard or your friendly Ford Dealership. Mustang Monthly was just around the corner one year later.

Showed her for three years in the ISCA AutoRama as a teenager. Winning tons of trophies in the (alter-restored class). My younger brother at the same time was showing his ’66 stang at the ISCA events with me.

Now the sad news, back as a teenager my father would not allow me to keep the 351 (that itself is a long story), instead purchased a well used ’67 289 w/auto. Rebuilt the 289 with every hipo parts that existed back then. The only thing that I did that was smart was to keep the 4V 351 heads.

Now some 26 years later with only 12,000 miles on here since the total restoration in ’78, I decided to rebuild here to the ’69 TransAm Series era that the ’69 Boss 302 was famous for. I have been active in SCCA Autocrossing (Solo 2) events in a ’88 fiero in the street prepared class for some time now and want the ‘stang to be able to enter the street prepared class as well.

I am looking for this forum and it members to enlightened me on today’s technology on suspension and engine mods that would help me in my trans-am event ours.

I know just very little information on the 720 lb front springs and 5-leaf rear leave springs. What oyjer hot engine ytricks other than bolting the 351 4V heads to the 289? Please members introduce me to today’s hottest tricks and trades.

Thanks.

Solo2

Welcome to the forum. I got your email and I replied telling you about what I did to my suspension.

As for the motor mods...what is your ultimate goal? There's a lot more then just putting 351 heads on 289's or 302's. It might not be a bad idea to pick up a magazine like Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords to give you an idea of what's out there.