Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Bierman

Clock repair option

If you need to repair your dash mounted clock, I may have an idea for you. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for the NOS "MUSTANG" clock movement and didn't want to lose the originality by going with the quartz. I'm sure you have seen how the prices for parts rise dramatically by just adding the "Mustang" name to them. After some research, I found that many of the manufacturers used the same movement. In fact, the '69 Camaro has the same movement that you will find in your Mustang. I purchased an NOS clock for a '68 Galaxie for just $20 (not many people restoring Galaxies) and used the movement to fix my clock. In my case, I had to swap some connectors. I would suggest that you find a clock that has the same electrical connection as yours and the movement will fit perfectly. Don't ignore Mopar or GM cars during your search.

Good luck with the search. Look for a clock that has the 2 prong connector so it will just plug in. Don't worry about the position of the clock adjustment knob. The knob and associated mechanism is attached to the clock face. It isn't an integral part of the clock movement.

Thqank is a nice thought.

In my day it was always cheaper to just go out and find another one at the yard.

Her is an interesting fact. It is the jewel that prevents it from working. It is a ONE jewel chock, just like the tach. The jewel and it movements can be repaired at maany vendrs like a mechaincal watch repair, the big grand clock's places or take it to a tach and instrument repair facility. Lots of the early 50's and 60s intruments have jewel movements and there are at least twenty repair centers thoughout the nation.

For example; to repair the tach most people would buy another tach and repalce the non-working tach with the working tach, what are the prices nowdays plus $500. For about $50 including shipping the tach and clock can be repaired at these repair centers.

What I have done since it was cheaper in those days was to purchase additional tachs and clocks for it parts. If the repair center needs parts, I just give one of the non-working units as a donor.

I hope that this gets you thinking.