Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bswor

Flaming River brand new 69 Steering box installed!

Well i finally got the Flaming River steering box installed after having it just sit in the corner month after month. Should have taken 4 hours or less (way less). But someone borrowed my pitman arm puller and never brought it back. So we tried to get the box out without removing the pitman arm. Which obviously didnt work because the 351 cleveland in the coupe and headers just clog everything up. So went to autozone picked another pitman arm puller up for $15 and after that removeal was easy. Then installation was fun, dropped the steering wheel column and went to town. This is a good 2 man job to install the box, luckily my uncle and father were available to help. Verdict on the box: So far so good!

Day 1: Steering is super tight no play in the wheel at all!

My old box had 3" of play in the wheel.

I purchased the box off ebay for i believe $375 w/shipping. Most catalogs charge $450-$475. Another great upgrade looks like.

I'm tinking about the same mod. myself. Did it improve handling in anyway, except for wheel play ? Can you drive faster trough corners, does it improve turn radius? :?:

Well honestly so far its hard to tell. I no longer scare people in the other lane because to keep it straight before i would have to go 3" in either direction heh heh. Its more responsive i have noticed. And seems to take less effort. As far as cornering i wouldnt know, we dont have winding roads around here just a lot of straight stretches for the most part. Turn radius is improved.