Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

19mach69

swap to 302. Equalizer bar hole in 351 not in 302

My 351w is about to grenade on itself. :cry: I bought a running 302 out of a 1984 ford pickup. The oil pan is the rear sump style and I need to switch it. Will the pickup and oil pan from my 351w work on the 302?

The second part is can the 351w intake be adapted to fit the 302? It has a crappy 2v on it now. I thought I read somewhere that this is possible without a head swap? I could be wrong.

Any other help anyone can give me to do during the temporary swap would be helpful and much appreciated!

the oil pan will not work, the intake from a 351w will not work on a 302, and for the 302 to work in the car, you need the same weight flexplate.

as for the front timing chane cover, waterpump and ect, you need to reuse your old stuff, it will swap. the crank pulley will be a slight challange, you will have to find a similar with 4 bolts, the current one is a 3 bolt. you will also need a 302 front cover dipstick.

as for motor mounts, it same, bolt up.

thats all i can think of right now.

Oh yeah, the flywheel and bell housing are from a 76 ford 302 pickup., as far as I know that should all bolt together. I'll see though tomorrow when I drop the motor in. Looks like I will have to hunt down a 302 oil pan then. I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I am looking at my 351 block and then the 302 block. It looks like the 351 has a hole in the side for the clutch linkage. The 302 does not have anything on the side for a clutch. Am I seeing this wrong and it actually conncts to the bellhousing? I haven't pulled the 351 yet as I am still prepping the 302 so I can just drop the thing in. Am I going to have to modify the block? Is there a system like a cable or hydrualic conversion that will work?

The last part is, how should I go about pulling the engine out? I have the bellhousing unbolted from the tranny and the block. Do I have to move the transmission back, or can I just pull the motor forward from the input shaft and then lift it up?